Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Sending mail problem with Netscape 7.02 and ibook with sys 9.2?

Sending mail problem with Netscape 7.02 and ibook with sys 9.2?

Mac Main

After 3 years of easy cable modem access, I switched to SBC Yahoo DSL
and find that I can neither send mail with the mail portion communicator
or post to news groups.

Mail can be sent with web mail from my SBC Yahoo home page and mail
and newsgroup posting does work from Outlook Express 5.0, BUT I WANT
to USE MY NETSCAPE 7.02. I've checked the Netscape setting multiple
times, but sending a message just hangs until I cancel and the choose
to save the message in the drafts folder. I've been messing with this
for four days and while the dsl may be faster, I'm hung up on wanting
to continue with netscape.

This message is being posted with Outlook Express 5.0, and while I'll
be able to read responses in Netscape 7.02, won't be able to respond
with it until some one tells me the trick to try that makes things better
and normal again.

PLEASE and thanks.

Mac Main

Moz Champion

Mac Main wrote:
> After 3 years of easy cable modem access, I switched to SBC Yahoo DSL
> and find that I can neither send mail with the mail portion communicator
> or post to news groups.
>
> Mail can be sent with web mail from my SBC Yahoo home page and mail
> and newsgroup posting does work from Outlook Express 5.0, BUT I WANT
> to USE MY NETSCAPE 7.02. I've checked the Netscape setting multiple
> times, but sending a message just hangs until I cancel and the choose
> to save the message in the drafts folder. I've been messing with this
> for four days and while the dsl may be faster, I'm hung up on wanting
> to continue with netscape.
>
> This message is being posted with Outlook Express 5.0, and while I'll
> be able to read responses in Netscape 7.02, won't be able to respond
> with it until some one tells me the trick to try that makes things better
> and normal again.
>
> PLEASE and thanks.
>
> Mac Main

Have you checked with SBC Yahoo DSL instructions as to setting up Netscape (or Mozilla) for use with the system?

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Mac Main

Moz Champion wrote:

> Mac Main wrote:

snip
>> Mail can be sent with web mail from my SBC Yahoo home page and mail
>> and newsgroup posting does work from Outlook Express 5.0, BUT I WANT
>> to USE MY NETSCAPE 7.02. I've checked the Netscape setting multiple
>> times, but sending a message just hangs until I cancel and the choose
>> to save the message in the drafts folder. I've been messing with this
>> for four days and while the dsl may be faster, I'm hung up on wanting
>> to continue with netscape.

snip

> Have you checked with SBC Yahoo DSL instructions as to setting up
> Netscape (or Mozilla) for use with the system?

Sure have and multiple times they have been as they should be.

Further investigation of my ibook hard drive shows that I have
Mozilla 1.3.1 the WaMCom version AND Netscape 7.02. UNFORTUNATELY
they ARE SHARING the profile in my DOCUMENTS folder. I have read
online that this causes problems with MOZILLA and apparently with
Netscape......my guess is this could be my problem, but I have no
idea how to solve it.
I'm 64 and have been using Macs for 20 years and Netscape since
version 1.0. I'm not ready for Mac's OS X.anything and the way
I understand the current environment, Mozilla beyond what I have is
for OS X (only?)

How do I get two separate profiles and protect 3 some years of
email history?

Thanks.

Moz Champion

Mac Main wrote:

> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> Mac Main wrote:

> snip
>
>>> Mail can be sent with web mail from my SBC Yahoo home page and mail
>>> and newsgroup posting does work from Outlook Express 5.0, BUT I WANT
>>> to USE MY NETSCAPE 7.02. I've checked the Netscape setting multiple
>>> times, but sending a message just hangs until I cancel and the choose
>>> to save the message in the drafts folder. I've been messing with this
>>> for four days and while the dsl may be faster, I'm hung up on wanting
>>> to continue with netscape.

> snip
>
>> Have you checked with SBC Yahoo DSL instructions as to setting up
>> Netscape (or Mozilla) for use with the system?

> Sure have and multiple times they have been as they should be.
>
> Further investigation of my ibook hard drive shows that I have
> Mozilla 1.3.1 the WaMCom version AND Netscape 7.02. UNFORTUNATELY
> they ARE SHARING the profile in my DOCUMENTS folder. I have read
> online that this causes problems with MOZILLA and apparently with
> Netscape......my guess is this could be my problem, but I have no
> idea how to solve it.
> I'm 64 and have been using Macs for 20 years and Netscape since
> version 1.0. I'm not ready for Mac's OS X.anything and the way
> I understand the current environment, Mozilla beyond what I have is
> for OS X (only?)
>
> How do I get two separate profiles and protect 3 some years of
> email history?
>
> Thanks.

Press the Apple key while clicking on the icon.
This will invoke Profile Manager, in which you can create a separate profile for one of the programs. Its best to create a Mozilla 1.3.1 profile while in its profile manager of course.

However, the situation you are describing doesnt sound like a shared profile problem, unless you ARE succeeding in sending email with the WamCom version but NOT with the Netscape one.

Does SBC Yahoo have specific instructions for setting up Netscape 7 or Mozilla? If so it would be of an assist if you provided the url of such so they could be reviewed.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Mac Main

in article u0ioc.45529$(E-Mail Removed), Moz
Champion at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote on 5/11/04 11:48 PM:

> Mac Main wrote:
>
>> Moz Champion wrote:
>>
>>> Mac Main wrote:

>> snip

>> snip
>>
>>> Have you checked with SBC Yahoo DSL instructions as to setting up
>>> Netscape (or Mozilla) for use with the system?

>> Sure have and multiple times they have been as they should be.
>>
>> Further investigation of my ibook hard drive shows that I have
>> Mozilla 1.3.1 the WaMCom version AND Netscape 7.02. UNFORTUNATELY
>> they ARE SHARING the profile in my DOCUMENTS folder. I have read
>> online that this causes problems with MOZILLA and apparently with
>> Netscape......my guess is this could be my problem, but I have no
>> idea how to solve it.
>> I'm 64 and have been using Macs for 20 years and Netscape since
>> version 1.0. I'm not ready for Mac's OS X.anything and the way
>> I understand the current environment, Mozilla beyond what I have is
>> for OS X (only?)
>>
>> How do I get two separate profiles and protect 3 some years of
>> email history?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Press the Apple key while clicking on the icon.
> This will invoke Profile Manager, in which you can create a separate profile
> for one of the programs. Its best to create a Mozilla 1.3.1 profile while in
> its profile manager of course.
>
> However, the situation you are describing doesnt sound like a shared profile
> problem, unless you ARE succeeding in sending email with the WamCom version
> but NOT with the Netscape one.
>
> Does SBC Yahoo have specific instructions for setting up Netscape 7 or
> Mozilla? If so it would be of an assist if you provided the url of such so
> they could be reviewed.

Creating a new profile in 7.02 solved the problem and now I am able to send
mail. Thanks for your help!
http://help.sbcglobal.net/article.ph...&app=ns&os=mac is where they
tell you how to check your settings.