Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > javascript:getMedia -- a quick & dirty fix

javascript:getMedia -- a quick & dirty fix

JSCarpenter

When I reinstalled Windows, this problem probably arose. Anyway, I
see by a groups search, I'm not alone. I click an NPR link, and
nothing happens! When I mouse-over the link, I see in the Status Bar
that the link is not a URL, but "javascript:getMedia('TOTN',
'10-Oct-2003', 2, 'WM,RM')".

The solution is, it's looking for Windows Media, but I guess I haven't
reinstalled it (? -- I thought it was auto with Windows -- anyway.
Specifically, I saved the page to my HD, ("NPR Talk of the Nation for
Friday, October 10, 2003.htm"), opened this saved file in Internet
Explorer, clicked View > Source ( which opens Notepad), searched for
every one of these "javascript:getMedia" strings, and

--HERE IT IS: changed each 'WM,RM' to 'RM'.

Then I saved the notepad file, refreshed the browser, clicked the
link, and LO! RealPlayer started right up! I suppose I should just
install WM <heh>, but I thought someone might find this event
interesting.

JSC