Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Link to download file

Link to download file

Simon Wigzell

My clients produces printing proofs on line and wants to send an email to
the client with a link to the proof. That is all working fine, the proofs
are in .pdf format so the email link is just the full file name and just
pops up a browser and it loads the pdf file. We have noticed that you can
right click on link and have the options of downloading the file. Is there
some way of specifying in the likn that it should go straight to the file
download procedure? Most of his clients are Mac users which don't have the
right mouse button...He'd really like to offer the option "Click here to
view the proof in your browser or click here to download it to your
computer" and have this work for PC's and Macs. Any ideas? Thanks!

VK

It's determined by system settings, and you don't have a control over it
from page. If you really want to please your visitors, you may use the
"False MIME" trick, but it requires server-side scripting.
The trick is to send your PDF file with content-type header
"application/octet-stream". This will force any browser to show the
standard "Run/Save" dialog (unless something deeply wrong with its
security settings). The file extension is not affected (it will be saved
as .pdf, not .exe).