Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mozz in XP User Account

Mozz in XP User Account

Tom Accuosti

I'm not sure if I should be posting this here, or in a Win group.

I've set up a family pc running XP Home with several User Accounts (wife
and two kids, plus the "guest" account). What I'd like to do is allow
each family member to have their own default. The kids use AOHell, my
wife uses IE and Outlook (mainly for work) and I would prefer to use
Mozilla 1.6 for my browser and newsreader (the others don't read
Usenet). When I set Mozz as my default browser in my own account,
however, it also makes it the default for the others. For some reason, I
thought I could work around this.

So, am I mistaken, or is there a way to do this?

Thanks

Tom

Keith Bowes

Tom Accuosti wrote:
> When I set Mozz as my default browser in my own account,
> however, it also makes it the default for the others. For some reason, I
> thought I could work around this.

File and protocol associations on Windows is system-wide
(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT). There's no way to change that (maybe in Longhorn,
but I'm doubting it). All major UNIX/Linux desktops store
file-association settings in the user's home directory, so you could switch.