Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > javascript won't work

javascript won't work

Steven Green

I did a clean install of Windows XP on my computer and my javascript will
not work. I've tried all types of browsers, I've download the Service pack
1 for XP and IE. I have download java from Sun, which I know is not
javascript but it could not hurt. I have done everything I know of to fix
this problem but still Javscript will not work on my windows XP. I don't
know where to turn from here, Microsoft surely does not have any info about
on their website. Help!! Please

kaeli

In article <ic9%a.94019$(E-Mail Removed)>, stevengreen66
@neo.rr.com enlightened us with...
> I did a clean install of Windows XP on my computer and my javascript will
> not work. I've tried all types of browsers, I've download the Service pack
> 1 for XP and IE. I have download java from Sun, which I know is not
> javascript but it could not hurt. I have done everything I know of to fix
> this problem but still Javscript will not work on my windows XP. I don't
> know where to turn from here, Microsoft surely does not have any info about
> on their website. Help!! Please

Define "not work", if you could be more specific. Do you get any errors?
Does no script execute at all, even a really simple test page, like so?
(copy/paste into test.html, save it somewhere, then File->Open in
browser)

<script>alert("hi.");</script>

Did you check that the browser's preferences are set to allow scripts to
run?

I can't think of anything else...

~kaeli~
Why do people who know the least know it the loudest?
If that cell phone was up your a$$, maybe you could
drive a little better!
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Steven Green

The HTML scripted worked, but when I try and open the application page I'm
using, I get this: YOUR WEB BROWSER MUST HAVE JAVASCRIPT ENABLED TO VIEW
THIS WEBPAGE and I get the applet box with a X at the top left hang corner.
I have always have javascript enabled under the settings in IE, Netscape and
Opera browsers, they all do the same thing, so it's a issue with the OS I
would guess.

"kaeli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <ic9%a.94019$(E-Mail Removed)>, stevengreen66
> @neo.rr.com enlightened us with...
> > I did a clean install of Windows XP on my computer and my javascript

will
> > not work. I've tried all types of browsers, I've download the Service

pack
> > 1 for XP and IE. I have download java from Sun, which I know is not
> > javascript but it could not hurt. I have done everything I know of to

fix
> > this problem but still Javscript will not work on my windows XP. I

don't
> > know where to turn from here, Microsoft surely does not have any info

about
> > on their website. Help!! Please
> >

> Define "not work", if you could be more specific. Do you get any errors?
> Does no script execute at all, even a really simple test page, like so?
> (copy/paste into test.html, save it somewhere, then File->Open in
> browser)

> <script>alert("hi.");</script>
>
> Did you check that the browser's preferences are set to allow scripts to
> run?
>
> I can't think of anything else...

> ~kaeli~
> Why do people who know the least know it the loudest?
> If that cell phone was up your a$$, maybe you could
> drive a little better!
> http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
> http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli

In article <j6a%a.94596$(E-Mail Removed)>, stevengreen66
@neo.rr.com enlightened us with...
> The HTML scripted worked,

Then your javascript works fine. It's some other quirky thing.
Do check the NG Lee mentioned, too (microsoft newsgroup).

> but when I try and open the application page I'm

Which application?
Have you tried other sites? Most commercial sites these days use JS. Try
www.webshots.com - they use a lot of script. If they work, it may just
be the application you're using doing a crummy job of detecting script.

I'm just guessing here; do check the microsoft NGs, too.

> using, I get this: YOUR WEB BROWSER MUST HAVE JAVASCRIPT ENABLED TO VIEW
> THIS WEBPAGE and I get the applet box with a X at the top left hang corner.

Red X would be a java applet, broken image, or embedded object. It would
not be javascript.
You may have a problem with your java virtual machine. Again, the
microsoft newsgroups probably know more about that, too.

If you do find out what was wrong, please post a follow-up here for the
archives (and for me, I'm curious *g*).
~kaeli~
Why do people who know the least know it the loudest?
If that cell phone was up your a$$, maybe you could
drive a little better!
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Grant Wagner

Are you sure you're not talking about "Java", and not "JavaScript"? They are
totally unrelated, and the fact that you get an "applet box" seems to indicate
you are talking about "Java".

You indicate that you have already downloaded the Sun Java plug-in, but you
should check to ensure it's actually installed and working properly.

Start -> Run -> type "cmd" (no quotes), hit Enter

Type "java -version" (no quotes), hit Enter

indicates that JavaScript /is/ enabled, and your problem lies elsewhere.

--
| Grant Wagner <(E-Mail Removed)>

*
http://devedge.netscape.com/library/...ce/frames.html