Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox 0.8 page source

Firefox 0.8 page source

Danny Colyer

Should the Firefox HTML source viewer allow me to edit source? If so,
how can I do this? If not, can I configure Firefox to use a different
viewer? I'm used to editing all my HTML source in Notepad and I like
being able to go straight to it from my default browser.

I've managed to get Firefox doing just about everything I'm used to
being able to do with Opera 7, but this has got me stumped. I've
installed the mozex 1.07 extension, but this doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm using Firefox 0.8 with W2K. Thanks for any input.

<url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>

Leonidas Jones

Danny Colyer wrote:

> Should the Firefox HTML source viewer allow me to edit source? If so,
> how can I do this? If not, can I configure Firefox to use a different
> viewer? I'm used to editing all my HTML source in Notepad and I like
> being able to go straight to it from my default browser.
>
> I've managed to get Firefox doing just about everything I'm used to
> being able to do with Opera 7, but this has got me stumped. I've
> installed the mozex 1.07 extension, but this doesn't seem to do anything.
>
> I'm using Firefox 0.8 with W2K. Thanks for any input.

No, the View Source in either Firefox or Mozilla is not an editor, its
just a viewer.

The Mozex extension should allow you to configure an outside ap for View
Page Source, however.

http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/mozex

I would also point out that there are much better text editors out
there then Notepad. I use 1st Page 2000, a free tool, EditPad Lite is
another, and TopStyle Lite is yet another. AceHTML, Arachnophilia, and
others all give a lot more functionality then Notepad for editing HTML
pages.

Lee
--
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org

Danny Colyer

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> No, the View Source in either Firefox or Mozilla is not an editor, its
> just a viewer.
>
> The Mozex extension should allow you to configure an outside ap for View
> Page Source, however.
>
> http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/mozex

Thanks. From there I followed a link to
<url:http://mozex.mozdev.org/faq.html#viewsource> , which states that:
" Mozex doesn't change the default viewer. The editor you configured may
be launched from the "mozex" sub-menu of the main context menu, which
appears when you right-click somewhere on the page."

That was my first mistake, expecting it to change the default viewer.
The same page also told me what command to put in the Source field of
the mozex options:
C:\WINNT\system32\notepad.exe %t

I'd already tried it without the %t, but I wasn't going to get it right
without help! Anyway, it's working now.

<url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>