Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Developing a Javascript HTML Formatting Toolbar

Developing a Javascript HTML Formatting Toolbar

Suzanne Mazzone

Hello,

I am developing a page which includes a form and three text areas. For
the text areas I would like users to be able to write in their inputs
and then have their text formatted with html codes. I am trying to set
something up so that there is an html formatting toolbar above each
text area with the following buttons: cut, copy, paste, bold, italic,
underline, ordered list, unordered list. Basically, what I would like
to happen is that if someone writes some text in the text area, then
clicks on the bold button, they can then see their text bold in the
text area. I really do not want the user to see the html code (i.e.
<b>text</b>). I have seen this done on Yahoo Mail and they seem to be
using Javascript and CSS to develop the toolbar and text area. I have
tried using the Yahoo Mail code however their code also includes a lot
of extra buttons and script that I do not need. My other problem is
that while Yahoo Mail only has one text area on their page, I am going
to have three text areas. I'm having difficulties adapting the Yahoo
Mail code to work for three seperate text areas. Does anyone know of a
good tutorial or any other example that can help me. I have tried
searching around on this topic but so far I haven't be able to find
anything.

Thank you!

Suzanne Mazzone