Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Asymptopia Crossword Builder (JavaScript web-application)

Asymptopia Crossword Builder (JavaScript web-application)

Charlie Cosse

Asymptopia Crossword Builder is a JavaScript application. A robust GUI
allows users to submit arbitrary length lists of key-hint pairs which
can be regenerated an unlimited number of times until the user wants
to accept the layout. The dhtml interface provides a configuration
panel, key- generating panel (i.e. answer sheet), puzzle-generating
panel (blank squares with numbers for accross/down), and an
across-down-hints panel which generates the text hints and numerical
location on the puzzle.

http://www.asymptopia.com

Janwillem Borleffs

"Charlie Cosse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Asymptopia Crossword Builder is a JavaScript application. A robust GUI
> allows users to submit arbitrary length lists of key-hint pairs which
> can be regenerated an unlimited number of times until the user wants
> to accept the layout. The dhtml interface provides a configuration
> panel, key- generating panel (i.e. answer sheet), puzzle-generating
> panel (blank squares with numbers for accross/down), and an
> across-down-hints panel which generates the text hints and numerical
> location on the puzzle.
>
> http://www.asymptopia.com

It's obviously not cross-browser, because in IE 6 you will get an error on
the line

tabTable.width=window.document.width

in nav_buttons.js

which could be changed to

tabTable.width = window.document.width || window.document.body.clientWidth;

to support IE. I don't know if there are more incompatibility issues because
I stopped debugging at this point.

JW

Charlie Cosse

"Janwillem Borleffs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<3f2646b1$0$28902$(E-Mail Removed)>.. .
> "Charlie Cosse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Asymptopia Crossword Builder is a JavaScript application. A robust GUI
> > allows users to submit arbitrary length lists of key-hint pairs which
> > can be regenerated an unlimited number of times until the user wants
> > to accept the layout. The dhtml interface provides a configuration
> > panel, key- generating panel (i.e. answer sheet), puzzle-generating
> > panel (blank squares with numbers for accross/down), and an
> > across-down-hints panel which generates the text hints and numerical
> > location on the puzzle.
> >
> > http://www.asymptopia.com

> It's obviously not cross-browser, because in IE 6 you will get an error on
> the line
>
> tabTable.width=window.document.width
>
> in nav_buttons.js
>
> which could be changed to
>
> tabTable.width = window.document.width || window.document.body.clientWidth;
>
> to support IE. I don't know if there are more incompatibility issues because
> I stopped debugging at this point.
>

> JW

Yes, unfortunatly I don't have a windows box to address all the non-standards-
compliant issues that IE has. Try any standards-compliant browser and it works.
CC

Richard Cornford

"Charlie Cosse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
<snip>
>>It's obviously not cross-browser, because in IE 6 you will get
>>an error on the line
>>
>>tabTable.width=window.document.width
>>
>>in nav_buttons.js
>>
>>which could be changed to
>>
>>tabTable.width = window.document.width ||

window.document.body.clientWidth;
<snip>
>Yes, unfortunatly I don't have a windows box to address all the non-
>standards-compliant issues that IE has. Try any standards-compliant
>browser and it works. CC

The 'width' property of the document object is not specified an any
standard so IE's support for it (or lack thereof) is not a
"non-standards-compliant issue" and other browsers that fully implement
the HTML DOM Level 2 standard also do not have a 'width' property on
their document element.

Richard.

Charlie Cosse

"Richard Cornford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bg66ar$irc$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Charlie Cosse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> <snip>
> >>It's obviously not cross-browser, because in IE 6 you will get
> >>an error on the line
> >>
> >>tabTable.width=window.document.width
> >>
> >>in nav_buttons.js
> >>
> >>which could be changed to
> >>
> >>tabTable.width = window.document.width ||

> window.document.body.clientWidth;
> <snip>
> >Yes, unfortunatly I don't have a windows box to address all the non-
> >standards-compliant issues that IE has. Try any standards-compliant
> >browser and it works. CC

> The 'width' property of the document object is not specified an any
> standard so IE's support for it (or lack thereof) is not a
> "non-standards-compliant issue" and other browsers that fully implement
> the HTML DOM Level 2 standard also do not have a 'width' property on
> their document element.
>
> Richard.

Richard,
thanks for pointing this out; as I still don't have a windows box, would
anyone be interested in making the necessary modification to make it
work for IE? The code is compact and well organized (if I do say so),
and follows the DOM closely. The change above did not remedy everything,
BTW. So, any takers? Thanks,
Charlie