Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Dynamically filling in a 3rd value in select pulldowns depending on whats entered in the first 2

Dynamically filling in a 3rd value in select pulldowns depending on whats entered in the first 2

J. Muenchbourg

I have 3 select pulldown boxes where a user will select a year (either
2002 or 2001), a week (one thru 52), and a database (short data or long
data). But if a user selects a week that is less than 4, the 3rd select
pulldown will only show the choice of "short data", as they will not be
able to select "long data". Is it dynamically possible in javascript to
program a third pull down in this fashion?

thx
Muench

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <3f259e9a$0$197$(E-Mail Removed)>, seen in
news:comp.lang.javascript, J. Muenchbourg <(E-Mail Removed)> posted at
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:07:22 :-

>I have 3 select pulldown boxes where a user will select a year (either
>2002 or 2001), a week (one thru 52), and a database (short data or long
>data). But if a user selects a week that is less than 4, the 3rd select
>pulldown will only show the choice of "short data", as they will not be
>able to select "long data". Is it dynamically possible in javascript to
>program a third pull down in this fashion?

A general year requires up to 53 weeks, though 2001 & 2002 do not.

The third pulldown can be adjusted in a manner similar to that used in
<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-date6.htm#YWD>for the W pulldown.

<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm> JS maths, dates, sources.