Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Inherit Background from previous page

Inherit Background from previous page

erik

Is it posssible to inherit the previous pages (parent pages)
background image? Is there a script out there I could look at? Thanks

mike

Grant Wagner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> erik wrote:
>
> > Is it posssible to inherit the previous pages (parent pages)
> > background image? Is there a script out there I could look at? Thanks

> The browser has no way of knowing what the background image of the
> have to set a cookie with the background image name and read it on each
> page, or pass the image name around on the URL.

Not entirly true. I've got what the OP dscribes to work without
cookies or passing in the url.
I've only tested it in mozilla 1.4 and I wouldn't like to comment on
the 'goodness' of the method though

I found part of the answer here -

http://www.codebelly.com/javascript/...agechange.html

If you use the [depricated] background attribute of the body tag to
specify the image you can change/reference it with javascript. (I
can't get it to work with body background images defined with css
though.)

In the opened window call the following line of javascript with an
onload on the body tag

document.body.background=opener.document.body.back ground

mike.

Peter

Not sure I see the point of doing this.

Why not just set up the background-image property in a stylesheet like...

body { background-image:URL("bg1.gif"); }
body.specific { background-image:URL("bg2.gif"); }

Then refer to that from your web pages

I can see no conceivable purpose for inheriting the background from the

Peter.

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Grant Wagner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > erik wrote:
> >
> > > Is it posssible to inherit the previous pages (parent pages)
> > > background image? Is there a script out there I could look at? Thanks

> > The browser has no way of knowing what the background image of the
> > have to set a cookie with the background image name and read it on each
> > page, or pass the image name around on the URL.

> Not entirly true. I've got what the OP dscribes to work without
> cookies or passing in the url.
> I've only tested it in mozilla 1.4 and I wouldn't like to comment on
> the 'goodness' of the method though
>
> I found part of the answer here -
>
> http://www.codebelly.com/javascript/...agechange.html
>
> If you use the [depricated] background attribute of the body tag to
> specify the image you can change/reference it with javascript. (I
> can't get it to work with body background images defined with css
> though.)
>
> In the opened window call the following line of javascript with an
> onload on the body tag
>
> document.body.background=opener.document.body.back ground
>

> mike.

Grant Wagner

mike wrote:

> Grant Wagner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > erik wrote:
> >
> > > Is it posssible to inherit the previous pages (parent pages)
> > > background image? Is there a script out there I could look at? Thanks

> > The browser has no way of knowing what the background image of the
> > have to set a cookie with the background image name and read it on each
> > page, or pass the image name around on the URL.

> Not entirly true. I've got what the OP dscribes to work without
> cookies or passing in the url.
> I've only tested it in mozilla 1.4 and I wouldn't like to comment on
> the 'goodness' of the method though
>
> I found part of the answer here -
>
> http://www.codebelly.com/javascript/...agechange.html
>
> If you use the [depricated] background attribute of the body tag to
> specify the image you can change/reference it with javascript. (I
> can't get it to work with body background images defined with css
> though.)
>
> In the opened window call the following line of javascript with an
> onload on the body tag
>
> document.body.background=opener.document.body.back ground
>
> mike.

What you have done is open a new window and accessed the opener's background attribute. This is "inheriting"
the background image from a previous page. If that is what what the OP meant by "parent" page then sure, he
could jury rig the setup like this:

In Internet Explorer use:

body { background-image:URL("3dblocks.gif"); }
<script type="text/javascript">
var w = window.open('about:blank');
w.document.body.style.backgroundImage = document.body.currentStyle.backgroundImage;
</script>

And in Mozilla you would use:

w.document.body.style.backgroundImage = document.defaultView.getComputedStyle(document.bod y,
"").backgroundImage;

Note that on a web site, both pages would have to come from the same domain for this to work, you can't
specify the backgroundImage for a page loaded in a new window which isn't from your domain.

Of course, the standard way to handle this is define the background image in one place, then specify:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/path/to/file.css" />

--
| Grant Wagner <(E-Mail Removed)>

* http://devedge.netscape.com/library/...ce/frames.html
* http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/a...ence_entry.asp
* Tips for upgrading JavaScript for Netscape 6/7 and Mozilla
* http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-deve...upgrade_2.html

erik

Thats exactly what I ment - thanks Ill have to give this a whirl

Erik