Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Synchronizing two ftp sites/folders

Synchronizing two ftp sites/folders

michela rossi

Hi,
Wonder if anyone can help me.

We have a local server, say STAGING on which we preview a site we're
developing. Periodically we upload files to the live site.

Does anyone know of any kind of shell script/perl script which we
could run which could recursively look at each folder on the live site
and STAGING, and if any files are out of date on live copy them up
from STAGING to live?

Anything like this around that anyone knows about?
Any help would be gratefully received ......

Many thanks,
Michela.

Mothra

"michela rossi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...

> We have a local server, say STAGING on which we preview a site we're
> developing. Periodically we upload files to the live site.
>
> Does anyone know of any kind of shell script/perl script which we
> could run which could recursively look at each folder on the live site
> and STAGING, and if any files are out of date on live copy them up
> from STAGING to live?

unix or WNT or both?

Mothra

The Sender

At some time in the past michela rossi wrote :

> Hi,
> Wonder if anyone can help me.
>
> We have a local server, say STAGING on which we preview a site we're
> developing. Periodically we upload files to the live site.
>
> Does anyone know of any kind of shell script/perl script which we
> could run which could recursively look at each folder on the live site
> and STAGING, and if any files are out of date on live copy them up
> from STAGING to live?
>
> Anything like this around that anyone knows about?
> Any help would be gratefully received ......
>
> Many thanks,
> Michela.

Have a look at the man pages for wget.

--
Regards,

William

Gareth Glaccum

Assuming un*x on both machines yes. However, if perl is the way you want to
go, try w3mir (search on google for it). It hasn't been updated for a while,
but it is designed to copy websites. Will even perform username and password
authentication if your staging site is protected.
Gareth

"Perusion hostmaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Does anyone know of any kind of shell script/perl script which we
> > could run which could recursively look at each folder on the live site
> > and STAGING, and if any files are out of date on live copy them up
> > from STAGING to live?
> >

> Perl is not the best thing for the job, rsync(1) is:

Perusion Hostmaster

In article <bekgvk$mnl$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gareth Glaccum wrote:
[top-posting fixed]
> "Perusion hostmaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Does anyone know of any kind of shell script/perl script which we
>> > could run which could recursively look at each folder on the live site
>> > and STAGING, and if any files are out of date on live copy them up
>> > from STAGING to live?
>> >

>> Perl is not the best thing for the job, rsync(1) is:

> Assuming un*x on both machines yes.

Cygwin has a working rsync too, and now that Mac OS/X is out it
should be there as well (though I don't know that for sure).

> However, if perl is the way you want to
> go, try w3mir (search on google for it). It hasn't been updated for a while,
> but it is designed to copy websites. Will even perform username and password
> authentication if your staging site is protected.

I have used w3mir, but consider it too long in the tooth to use any more
when I have a better alternative. Yet if all you have is an FTP account,
you are right -- it may be the best thing.

--

Few blame themselves until they have exhausted all other possibilities.
-- anonymous