Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Yet another "undefined reference to `_WinMain@16'" in cygwin

Yet another "undefined reference to `_WinMain@16'" in cygwin

Sam Denton

I'm getting this message when linking under Cygwin. I've googled the
message text and found several of "voodoo" fixes (i.e. "This worked
for me but I don't know why"). I've blindly tried several of them,
but none of them worked.

Yesterday, I installed the Gnu plotutils package, without apparent
problems (once I found out to use "./configure --enable-libplotter").
Now I'm trying to install the Perl Graphics:lotter module. The only
fix that I haven't tried is to add a dummy WinMain function, but since
I'm trying to create a .DLL, not a .EXE, I'm unsure of the
ramifications. Is there a special flag that I don't know about?

Here's the last bit of output from make (with the voodoo incantation
"-Wl,-u,_WinMain@16" still included):

Running Mkbootstrap for Graphics:lotter ()
chmod 644 Plotter.bs
rm -f blib/arch/auto/Graphics/Plotter/Plotter.dll
LD_RUN_PATH="/usr/local/lib" g++ -s -L/usr/local/lib Plotter.o
-Wl,-u,_WinMain@
16 -o blib/arch/auto/Graphics/Plotter/Plotter.dll
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/cygwin-m
ulti-64int/CORE/libperl.dll.a -L/usr/local/lib -lplotter
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.2/../../../libcygwin.a(libcmain.o)(.text+0x7c)
: undefined reference to `_WinMain@16'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [blib/arch/auto/Graphics/Plotter/Plotter.dll] Error 1

A. Sinan Unur

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Sam Denton) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> I'm getting this message when linking under Cygwin. I've googled the
> message text and found several of "voodoo" fixes (i.e. "This worked
> for me but I don't know why"). I've blindly tried several of them,
> but none of them worked.

I do not _know_ the solution, but have you looked at

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html#TOC95

and

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/dll.html

I am only asking this because I do not see a `shared' flag anywhere, and it
looks like, from the line

> LD_RUN_PATH="/usr/local/lib" g++ -s -L/usr/local/lib Plotter.o

you are stripping symbols. Again, I am no expert on cygwin, but those look
like problem spots to me. Have you tried asking this question on the cygwin
mailing list?

Sinan.

--
A. Sinan Unur