Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Installing CtCmd on Windows

Installing CtCmd on Windows

Sherman Willden

What are cl and dumpbin?

I am trying to configure CtCmd and I was reading the INSTALL document
before proceeding. It stated that I must be able to perform cl and
dumpbin from the command line before proceeding. What products are cl
and dumpbin contained in?

Thanks;

Sherman

Bryan Castillo

Purl Gurl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Brass tacks is if you don't have Microsoft Visual C 5.x or greater,
> forget this module. This module, like other modules, could be
> compiled with a variety of excellent free compilers, such as
> Borland or Watcom.

However, Larry Wall has sold out to Microsoft.
> Perl, as this applies to Win32 applications, is now Microsoft
> propriety software.

Do you know of any documents substantiating this, and could you
post the URL's of any such documents?

> Purl Gurl

Sherman Willden

Thanks for everyone's replys. I now know where to start looking. I do
have Visual Studio installed and have scripted all the builds for
VC++, VB, etc. We just set up ClearCase client on my machine.

Sherman

Bryan Castillo

Purl Gurl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Bryan Castillo wrote:

<snip>

> > > However, Larry Wall has sold out to Microsoft. Perl, as this
> > > applies to Win32 applications, is now Microsoft propriety software.

> > Do you know of any documents substantiating this, and could you
> > post the URL's of any such documents?

> Perl core compiled for Win32, is this document. Any Perl module compiled
> for Win32, is this document. Indigo Perl is this document. Activestate
> is this document. Perl documentation documents this, as well.

I've been trying to figure out exactly what you are talking about and
have been searching google for articles and have read the license
agreements distributed with Indigo and ActiveState distributions.
I don't see how Larry Wall sold out to Microsoft and I do not
see how perl is Microsoft proprietary software.

Are you reffering to the way companies distribute perl with the artistic
license, while also distributing other tools under their own
license?

> I bet you sometimes have problems with walking into walls, with this
> inability of yours to notice what is right in front of your face.

You are right, I have been known to walk into walls.
Often, I am wrong and ill informed and would appreciate your help
in understanding how Larry Wall sold out to Microsoft.

Thank you.

> Purl Gurl

Sherman Willden

Ok, I got it.
1. Didn't have ClearCase in the path, lib, or inc
2. Even after putting in the path to ClearCase the scripts still
couldn't find it. The path should be C:\Program
Files\rational\ClearCase\bin. The path where ClearCase is installed is
C:\Program Files\rational\bin. I set the CLEARCASEHOME environment
variable to C:\Program Files\rational\bin.

CtCmd is now installed.

Sherman