Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: [SI] New mandate needed

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: [SI] New mandate needed

 
 
Bruce
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2012
Pete A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I hardly ever used Ilford film until I discovered XP1 during the
>1980's: a black and white film that could be processed in a high-street
>colour lab (C41 process).
>
>XP1 allowed the photographer to change the ISO rating between shots on
>the same roll. Its latest incarnation, XP2 Super, is still quite
>popular.



I used a lot of XP1 when it first came out but very few rolls of XP2.
Kodak's competing chromogenic (C41) emulsion, sold here as BW400CN, is
much better. Whether it will survive is of course moot.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bruce
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2012
David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>You'd find them in any actual camera store in the USA or Canada any time
>in the last 30 years or more, and even in consumer processing places
>like Proex back when those existed. Since they're not an American
>company, I believe they'd be widely found throughout Europe as well, but
>I can't testify to that from personal experience (I mostly took film
>with me when I was in Europe to save money, so I wasn't paying attention
>so much to what was for sale). ("Save money" because I bought 100-foot
>rolls and bulk loaded.)
>
>However, they made only B&W film, not color; that might also have made a
>difference as to whether you noticed them, perhaps.



I have a few hundred negatives that were shot on Ilford's "Ilfacolor"
negative film in the 1960s.

But Ilfacolor film was short-lived and I think the brand name may have
been re-used more recently for something else entirely.

The Ilford brand has also appeared on slide film. However, the film
was manufactured by others; research suggested Ferrania of Italy
(formerly 3M) and/or Konica of Japan.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
RichA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2012
On Mar 21, 11:30*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Pete A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I hardly ever used Ilford film until I discovered XP1 during the
> >1980's: a black and white film that could be processed in a high-street
> >colour lab (C41 process).

>
> >XP1 allowed the photographer to change the ISO rating between shots on
> >the same roll. Its latest incarnation, XP2 Super, is still quite
> >popular.

>
> I used a lot of XP1 when it first came out but very few rolls of XP2.
> Kodak's competing chromogenic (C41) emulsion, sold here as BW400CN, is
> much better. *Whether it will survive is of course moot.


XP1 was very flat, even when used with filters when enlarging. It
required a good contrast scene to really work well. BW400CN is
better.
 
Reply With Quote
 
RichA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2012
On Mar 21, 3:19*am, Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <2012032017361843658-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck
> says...
>
> > ...and it is headquartered on your side of the Atlantic.
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilford_Photo>

>
> Very strange. When film was still sold, in the shops you could find
> Kodak, Fuji or Agfa, but not Ilford.
> --


In Canada, shops always had Ilford (still do) B&W and thank goodness.
It was much better than most Kodak (except Tech Pan) and their
printing a papers (resin or fibre) were better too.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Pete A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2012
On 2012-03-21 15:50:41 +0000, RichA said:

> On Mar 21, 11:30*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Pete A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I hardly ever used Ilford film until I discovered XP1 during the
>>> 1980's: a black and white film that could be processed in a high-street
>>> colour lab (C41 process).

>>
>>> XP1 allowed the photographer to change the ISO rating between shots on
>>> the same roll. Its latest incarnation, XP2 Super, is still quite
>>> popular.

>>
>> I used a lot of XP1 when it first came out but very few rolls of XP2.
>> Kodak's competing chromogenic (C41) emulsion, sold here as BW400CN, is
>> much better. *Whether it will survive is of course moot.

>
> XP1 was very flat, even when used with filters when enlarging. It
> required a good contrast scene to really work well. BW400CN is
> better.


I'd forgotten XP1 was very flat. I suppose it had to be because of its
variable ISO, which required a low value of gamma (more precisely, a
reasonably linear and shallow D-logH curve).

I always used the services of a pro lab because the lab was owned by a
friend. I thought the XP1 prints were more than good enough for most
purposes. I've never used Kodak BW400CN, but I do remember the awesome
results from T-MAX 100 during the 1980's/90's.

Can't remember the Agfa B&W film I once tried: it had a low ISO and
extremely high contrasts so it was a sort of black or white film, which
gave eerie results to pictures taken on foggy days.

 
Reply With Quote
 
David Dyer-Bennet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2012
Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>You'd find them in any actual camera store in the USA or Canada any time
>>in the last 30 years or more, and even in consumer processing places
>>like Proex back when those existed. Since they're not an American
>>company, I believe they'd be widely found throughout Europe as well, but
>>I can't testify to that from personal experience (I mostly took film
>>with me when I was in Europe to save money, so I wasn't paying attention
>>so much to what was for sale). ("Save money" because I bought 100-foot
>>rolls and bulk loaded.)
>>
>>However, they made only B&W film, not color; that might also have made a
>>difference as to whether you noticed them, perhaps.

>
>
> I have a few hundred negatives that were shot on Ilford's "Ilfacolor"
> negative film in the 1960s.


Oops! My ignorance comes around to bite me on the ass.

> But Ilfacolor film was short-lived and I think the brand name may have
> been re-used more recently for something else entirely.


Or at least nip.

> The Ilford brand has also appeared on slide film. However, the film
> was manufactured by others; research suggested Ferrania of Italy
> (formerly 3M) and/or Konica of Japan.


I've used some 3M branded slide film, especially the 640T. It wasn't
fast enough AND wasn't good enough . (I'm spoiled by my D700.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
Photos: http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2012
David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>You'd find them in any actual camera store in the USA or Canada any time
>>>in the last 30 years or more, and even in consumer processing places
>>>like Proex back when those existed. Since they're not an American
>>>company, I believe they'd be widely found throughout Europe as well, but
>>>I can't testify to that from personal experience (I mostly took film
>>>with me when I was in Europe to save money, so I wasn't paying attention
>>>so much to what was for sale). ("Save money" because I bought 100-foot
>>>rolls and bulk loaded.)
>>>
>>>However, they made only B&W film, not color; that might also have made a
>>>difference as to whether you noticed them, perhaps.

>>
>>
>> I have a few hundred negatives that were shot on Ilford's "Ilfacolor"
>> negative film in the 1960s.

>
>Oops! My ignorance comes around to bite me on the ass.



Not at all. Ilford's short lived excursions into a world of colour
photography were not a success and not widely known. Alfred Molon's
complete ignorance of the Ilford brand would be far more serious if it
wasn't so funny.


>> But Ilfacolor film was short-lived and I think the brand name may have
>> been re-used more recently for something else entirely.

>
>Or at least nip.
>
>> The Ilford brand has also appeared on slide film. However, the film
>> was manufactured by others; research suggested Ferrania of Italy
>> (formerly 3M) and/or Konica of Japan.

>
>I've used some 3M branded slide film, especially the 640T. It wasn't
>fast enough AND wasn't good enough .



Well, there was GAF 500 which we discussed fairly recently. A
horrible emulsion even by the low standards of its day.


>I'm spoiled by my D700.



As I was by mine, and by the beat-up D3 that followed it.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Pete A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2012
On 2012-03-21 20:17:04 +0000, Bruce said:

> David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>> You'd find them in any actual camera store in the USA or Canada any time
>>>> in the last 30 years or more, and even in consumer processing places
>>>> like Proex back when those existed. Since they're not an American
>>>> company, I believe they'd be widely found throughout Europe as well, but
>>>> I can't testify to that from personal experience (I mostly took film
>>>> with me when I was in Europe to save money, so I wasn't paying attention
>>>> so much to what was for sale). ("Save money" because I bought 100-foot
>>>> rolls and bulk loaded.)
>>>>
>>>> However, they made only B&W film, not color; that might also have made a
>>>> difference as to whether you noticed them, perhaps.
>>>
>>>
>>> I have a few hundred negatives that were shot on Ilford's "Ilfacolor"
>>> negative film in the 1960s.

>>
>> Oops! My ignorance comes around to bite me on the ass.

>
>
> Not at all. Ilford's short lived excursions into a world of colour
> photography were not a success and not widely known. Alfred Molon's
> complete ignorance of the Ilford brand would be far more serious if it
> wasn't so funny.


I'm not so sure about that. The Ilford packaging that I remember was so
distinctive (literally, setting it apart) that I wouldn't have
recognized it as camera film unless someone/an advert had previously
pointed it out to me. E.g. a white box with black lettering disappears
from view in a sea of brightly-coloured attention-grabbing boxes of the
same size. Marketing psychology always trumps product excellence in
terms of revenue.

>>> But Ilfacolor film was short-lived and I think the brand name may have
>>> been re-used more recently for something else entirely.

>>
>> Or at least nip.
>>
>>> The Ilford brand has also appeared on slide film. However, the film
>>> was manufactured by others; research suggested Ferrania of Italy
>>> (formerly 3M) and/or Konica of Japan.

>>
>> I've used some 3M branded slide film, especially the 640T. It wasn't
>> fast enough AND wasn't good enough .

>
>
> Well, there was GAF 500 which we discussed fairly recently. A
> horrible emulsion even by the low standards of its day.


I remember trying GAF - it's name was only one "F" short of it's
reputation. Perhaps its only selling point was being the master of
grain at each ISO. I happily "deleted" everything I took on it.

>> I'm spoiled by my D700.

>
> As I was by mine, and by the beat-up D3 that followed it.


Have you tried the new Nikon Picture Controls available in Capture NX2
version 2.3.0/1 for the D700/D3? They are brutal in showing noise that
you hoped wasn't there, but with a fair amount of editing work they can
render awesome chroma in deep shadows.

I've spent nearly three months re-editing some of my night and heavily
overcast daylight shots using the new Picture Controls. They have
enabled me to explore my surreal/abstracted art in the direction I've
always dreamed of going.

The new Picture Controls are not enabled by default. To get them,
launch the Picture Control Utility; click the bottom left "Preferences"
button and you will see two options plus explanatory text.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2012
Pete A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 2012-03-21 20:17:04 +0000, Bruce said:
>> David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I'm spoiled by my D700.

>>
>> As I was by mine, and by the beat-up D3 that followed it.

>
>Have you tried the new Nikon Picture Controls available in Capture NX2
>version 2.3.0/1 for the D700/D3? They are brutal in showing noise that
>you hoped wasn't there, but with a fair amount of editing work they can
>render awesome chroma in deep shadows.
>
>I've spent nearly three months re-editing some of my night and heavily
>overcast daylight shots using the new Picture Controls. They have
>enabled me to explore my surreal/abstracted art in the direction I've
>always dreamed of going.
>
>The new Picture Controls are not enabled by default. To get them,
>launch the Picture Control Utility; click the bottom left "Preferences"
>button and you will see two options plus explanatory text.



Thanks, Pete. I don't use Capture NX, but I will take a look at one
of the copies that came with the D800 and D800E. This is an
exceptionally busy time as we are setting up our office on the new
construction site, but I will take a look as soon as I can.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Pete A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2012
On 2012-03-21 20:37:57 +0000, Alfred Molon said:

> In article <CB8F5270.83C4D%(E-Mail Removed)>, George Kerby
> says...
>> Did you ever shoot B&W.

>
> Nope...
>
> BTW, my 8 year old daughter has never seen a roll of film. Film
> disappeared before she was old enough to remember things.


I don't understand that - it would appear that I'm still not old enough
to remember things

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: [SI] New mandate needed tony cooper Digital Photography 5 03-21-2012 10:03 PM
Re: [SI] New mandate needed PeterN Digital Photography 2 03-20-2012 01:52 PM
Re: [SI] Mandate reminder/update & new mandate! Robert Spanjaard Digital Photography 9 04-26-2010 10:17 PM
Re: [SI] Mandate reminder/update & new mandate! Robert Coe Digital Photography 13 04-24-2010 05:47 AM
Re: Mandate reminder/update & new mandate! Annika1980 Digital Photography 3 04-17-2010 10:37 PM



Advertisments