Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Phone to UK capped

Phone to UK capped

Geopelia

We want to phone UK and Telecom talks about "capped". $4.50 capped. What do
they mean please? These are pages of answers to questions, but I can't find
an answer to that. It's 33 cents a minute, I think.

There used to be special prices at different times, but I can't see anything
about that either, on their website.
It's from a home phone, not a mobile.

Thank you
Geopelia

Me

On 20/03/2012 10:20 a.m., Geopelia wrote:
> We want to phone UK and Telecom talks about "capped". $4.50 capped. What do
> they mean please? These are pages of answers to questions, but I can't find
> an answer to that. It's 33 cents a minute, I think.
>
> There used to be special prices at different times, but I can't see anything
> about that either, on their website.
> It's from a home phone, not a mobile.

Presumably, that means the maximum charge per call is $4.50.
So after 14 minutes or so at $0.33 per minute, you can keep talking for
free.

Donchano

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:20:27 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>We want to phone UK and Telecom talks about "capped". $4.50 capped. What do
>they mean please? These are pages of answers to questions, but I can't find
>an answer to that. It's 33 cents a minute, I think.
>
>There used to be special prices at different times, but I can't see anything
>about that either, on their website.
>It's from a home phone, not a mobile.
>
>Thank you
>Geopelia

I think it means your call will cost 33 cents a minute up to a maximum
of $4.50 for a call of UP TO two hours.

Geopelia

"Donchano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:20:27 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>We want to phone UK and Telecom talks about "capped". $4.50 capped. What
>>do
>>they mean please? These are pages of answers to questions, but I can't
>>find
>>an answer to that. It's 33 cents a minute, I think.
>>
>>There used to be special prices at different times, but I can't see
>>anything
>>about that either, on their website.
>>It's from a home phone, not a mobile.
>>
>>Thank you
>>Geopelia

> I think it means your call will cost 33 cents a minute up to a maximum
> of $4.50 for a call of UP TO two hours.

Thanks to all, that clears it up.

But who on earth would want to stay on the phone for two hours?

And it's a bit confusing. $0.33 is 33 cents, isn't it? You are up to $4.50
after 14 minutes.
So after 14 minutes, you can just waffle on for up to two hours for free?
Get the whole family lined up!

Geopelia

Unless a whole big family lines up in turn.

John S

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:20:27 +1300, Geopelia wrote:

> We want to phone UK and Telecom talks about "capped". $4.50 capped. What do
> they mean please? These are pages of answers to questions, but I can't find
> an answer to that. It's 33 cents a minute, I think.
>
> There used to be special prices at different times, but I can't see anything
> about that either, on their website.
> It's from a home phone, not a mobile.
>
> Thank you
> Geopelia

As others have said, this means that you pay 33 cents per minute until
you've spent $4.50, then you pay no more.

However, if you regularly call the UK, I suggest that you buy a Compass
"Kia Ora" phone card from your local dairy and load, say, $10 on it.

You will be able to call anywhere in NZ, Australia, UK for (I think the
current rate is) 2.9 cents per minute including gst. Several other
destination cost the same rate.

Telecom capped rate will cost you $4.50 for about 14 minutes, then extra
time is free.
But if you want to talk for 14 minutes, the phone card will cost just over
40 cents. To spend $4.50 on the card you would need to talk for about 2.5
hours.

Get the brochure at the same time, which explains the various features.

We have the compass access number and our card's code number programmed
into our phone (you can do this with most modern phones), and the numbers
of regularly called family stored in the card company's system.

So, after being asked to dial in the number we want to call, we just enter
1# or 2# or 3# depending on which of our offspring we want to talk to.

Voice quality is good - I've never been able to detect any difference
between the phone card and Telecom's direct system.

Cheers,

John S

Enkidu

On 20/03/12 18:22, John S wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:20:27 +1300, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> We want to phone UK and Telecom talks about "capped". $4.50 capped. What do
>> they mean please? These are pages of answers to questions, but I can't find
>> an answer to that. It's 33 cents a minute, I think.
>>
>> There used to be special prices at different times, but I can't see anything
>> about that either, on their website.
>> It's from a home phone, not a mobile.
>>
>> Thank you
>> Geopelia

> As others have said, this means that you pay 33 cents per minute until
> you've spent $4.50, then you pay no more.
>
> However, if you regularly call the UK, I suggest that you buy a Compass
> "Kia Ora" phone card from your local dairy and load, say, $10 on it.
>
> You will be able to call anywhere in NZ, Australia, UK for (I think the
> current rate is) 2.9 cents per minute including gst. Several other
> destination cost the same rate.
>
> Telecom capped rate will cost you $4.50 for about 14 minutes, then extra
> time is free.
> But if you want to talk for 14 minutes, the phone card will cost just over
> 40 cents. To spend $4.50 on the card you would need to talk for about 2.5
> hours.
>
> Get the brochure at the same time, which explains the various features.
>
> We have the compass access number and our card's code number programmed
> into our phone (you can do this with most modern phones), and the numbers
> of regularly called family stored in the card company's system.
>
> So, after being asked to dial in the number we want to call, we just enter
> 1# or 2# or 3# depending on which of our offspring we want to talk to.
>
> Voice quality is good - I've never been able to detect any difference
> between the phone card and Telecom's direct system.

Aren't they resellers? I believe that you use the same phone system.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Geopelia

"John S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:20:27 +1300, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> We want to phone UK and Telecom talks about "capped". $4.50 capped. What
>> do
>> they mean please? These are pages of answers to questions, but I can't
>> find
>> an answer to that. It's 33 cents a minute, I think.
>>
>> There used to be special prices at different times, but I can't see
>> anything
>> about that either, on their website.
>> It's from a home phone, not a mobile.
>>
>> Thank you
>> Geopelia

> As others have said, this means that you pay 33 cents per minute until
> you've spent $4.50, then you pay no more.
>
> However, if you regularly call the UK, I suggest that you buy a Compass
> "Kia Ora" phone card from your local dairy and load, say, $10 on it.
>
> You will be able to call anywhere in NZ, Australia, UK for (I think the
> current rate is) 2.9 cents per minute including gst. Several other
> destination cost the same rate.
>
> Telecom capped rate will cost you $4.50 for about 14 minutes, then extra
> time is free.
> But if you want to talk for 14 minutes, the phone card will cost just over
> 40 cents. To spend $4.50 on the card you would need to talk for about 2.5
> hours.
>
> Get the brochure at the same time, which explains the various features.
>
> We have the compass access number and our card's code number programmed
> into our phone (you can do this with most modern phones), and the numbers
> of regularly called family stored in the card company's system.
>
> So, after being asked to dial in the number we want to call, we just enter
> 1# or 2# or 3# depending on which of our offspring we want to talk to.
>
> Voice quality is good - I've never been able to detect any difference
> between the phone card and Telecom's direct system.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John S

Thank you.

I've got the phone and the computer's broadband on the same plan. I don't
think our phone uses cards, aren't they for mobile phones only?

We don't usually phone UK, we just use email.

Geopelia

Dave Taylor

"Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:jk8jt1$atk$(E-Mail Removed):

> Get the whole family lined up!

I used to have my girlfriend call me when I was at a house party. We just
passed the phone around after having a good chat It is good when you
have people to hand off to and also some stuff to discuss.

--
Ciao, Dave

Enkidu

On 20/03/12 23:33, Geopelia wrote:
> "John S"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:20:27 +1300, Geopelia wrote:
>>
>>> We want to phone UK and Telecom talks about "capped". $4.50 capped. What
>>> do
>>> they mean please? These are pages of answers to questions, but I can't
>>> find
>>> an answer to that. It's 33 cents a minute, I think.
>>>
>>> There used to be special prices at different times, but I can't see
>>> anything
>>> about that either, on their website.
>>> It's from a home phone, not a mobile.
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>> Geopelia

>> As others have said, this means that you pay 33 cents per minute until
>> you've spent $4.50, then you pay no more.
>>
>> However, if you regularly call the UK, I suggest that you buy a Compass
>> "Kia Ora" phone card from your local dairy and load, say, $10 on it.
>>
>> You will be able to call anywhere in NZ, Australia, UK for (I think the
>> current rate is) 2.9 cents per minute including gst. Several other
>> destination cost the same rate.
>>
>> Telecom capped rate will cost you $4.50 for about 14 minutes, then extra
>> time is free.
>> But if you want to talk for 14 minutes, the phone card will cost just over
>> 40 cents. To spend $4.50 on the card you would need to talk for about 2.5
>> hours.
>>
>> Get the brochure at the same time, which explains the various features.
>>
>> We have the compass access number and our card's code number programmed
>> into our phone (you can do this with most modern phones), and the numbers
>> of regularly called family stored in the card company's system.
>>
>> So, after being asked to dial in the number we want to call, we just enter
>> 1# or 2# or 3# depending on which of our offspring we want to talk to.
>>
>> Voice quality is good - I've never been able to detect any difference
>> between the phone card and Telecom's direct system.

> Thank you.
>
> I've got the phone and the computer's broadband on the same plan. I don't
> think our phone uses cards, aren't they for mobile phones only?

No, they are not cards that you insert into your phone. They are cards
with a number which you enter into the land line phone (and maybe
cellphones too) before the phone number that you dial. It switches
somewhere in the network to send your call through the provider's
network rather than the telcos.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Geopelia

"Enkidu" <cliffp@bogus> wrote in message
news:4f68e799$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 20/03/12 23:33, Geopelia wrote:
>> "John S"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> As others have said, this means that you pay 33 cents per minute until
>>> you've spent $4.50, then you pay no more.
>>>
>>> However, if you regularly call the UK, I suggest that you buy a Compass
>>> "Kia Ora" phone card from your local dairy and load, say, $10 on it.
>>>
>>> You will be able to call anywhere in NZ, Australia, UK for (I think the
>>> current rate is) 2.9 cents per minute including gst. Several other
>>> destination cost the same rate.
>>>
>>> Telecom capped rate will cost you $4.50 for about 14 minutes, then extra
>>> time is free.
>>> But if you want to talk for 14 minutes, the phone card will cost just
>>> over
>>> 40 cents. To spend $4.50 on the card you would need to talk for about
>>> 2.5
>>> hours.
>>>
>>> Get the brochure at the same time, which explains the various features.
>>>
>>> We have the compass access number and our card's code number programmed
>>> into our phone (you can do this with most modern phones), and the
>>> numbers
>>> of regularly called family stored in the card company's system.
>>>
>>> So, after being asked to dial in the number we want to call, we just
>>> enter
>>> 1# or 2# or 3# depending on which of our offspring we want to talk to.
>>>
>>> Voice quality is good - I've never been able to detect any difference
>>> between the phone card and Telecom's direct system.

>> Thank you.
>>
>> I've got the phone and the computer's broadband on the same plan. I don't
>> think our phone uses cards, aren't they for mobile phones only?
>>

> No, they are not cards that you insert into your phone. They are cards
> with a number which you enter into the land line phone (and maybe
> cellphones too) before the phone number that you dial. It switches
> somewhere in the network to send your call through the provider's network
> rather than the telcos.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Thank you. I'll save that in case we ever start phoning overseas regularly.
Just now it's about once a year.