Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Samsung's P&S mentality is glaringly apparent

Samsung's P&S mentality is glaringly apparent

RichA

Upload huge RAW files to the "cloud?" Why? Is Samsung moving into
the wireless carrier business? Do we need to deplete already limited
bandwidth? I can't wait until they realize their foray into cameras
more sophisticated than a jpeg-spewing P&S's becomes truly evident and
they leave the business, to concentrate on the cheap TV's they are so
good at.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/638...nected-cameras

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Upload huge RAW files to the "cloud?" Why?

why not?

> Is Samsung moving into
> the wireless carrier business?

they've been making cellphones for years, many of which have cameras.
this is just more of a camera than it is a phone.

> Do we need to deplete already limited
> bandwidth?

it's continually being increased.

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Upload huge RAW files to the "cloud?" Why? Is Samsung moving into
>the wireless carrier business? Do we need to deplete already limited
>bandwidth? I can't wait until they realize their foray into cameras
>more sophisticated than a jpeg-spewing P&S's becomes truly evident and
>they leave the business, to concentrate on the cheap TV's they are so
>good at.
>http://www.dpreview.com/articles/638...nected-cameras

It seems to me that Samsung will go to any lengths to try and sell its
products. In one way, that's commendable, but in another, it suggests
a hint of desperation.

After a brief and ultimately unsuccessful foray into the DSLR market
with Pentax, Samsung has committed itself to mirrorless CSCs. The
product isn't at all bad, but it doesn't sell as strongly as perhaps
it should.

In 2011 we sold quite a few Samsung mirrorless CSCs because of the
shortage of supply of other brands following the earthquake/tsunami in
Japan and floods in Thailand. What we have noticed is how few
accessories we have subsequently sold for those CSCs, and how few
owners of them have returned to buy anything else. It cannot be
because of unreliability issues as the number returned has been tiny.

So why does a company with such strong products struggle to gain
repeat business?

It's a genuine question. I don't know the answer, but I suspect
Samsung's brand image may play a part. One of our stores is located
near a store that sells household appliances (we call them "white
goods" here). The owner is a good friend of one of our directors. He
has recently stopped selling Samsung products because of reliability
problems. He says that, statistically, they are no less reliable than
other, more established brands, but he thinks his customers are less
tolerant of problems than they would be if they had bought Bosch,
Siemens, AEG or Hoover.

Why? He has no idea, but he says it is almost as if customers are
more critical of the new kid on the block and are just waiting for
their appliance to fail. When it does, it fits their preconceived
ideas about a brand they don't yet know and trust.

Psychology obviously plays a large part in buying decisions. It seems
to me that Samsung needs to develop its corporate image before its
cameras will sell in anything like the numbers they should, based on
their technology, features, performance and reliability.