Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > rdoc files: how to read them?

rdoc files: how to read them?

RichardOnRails

I saw a book on The Pragmatic Boookshelf that I thought I might wand to buy, but I saw no way to see a sample of its content a la Amazon.

I downloaded its code and saw some .rdoc files. I could view them as text,but that's obviously not the best approach. I saw a recommendation somewhere to view them in a browser. I dragged the filename into the browser, which produced a somewhat better result.

I believe that the content of http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib-1.9.2// is based on generated rdoc's and look great in my browser. What do I have to do to get the same formatting in my browser for the rdoc's I downloaded?

I'm running Firefox 10.0.2 over WinXP-Pro/SP3.

Thanks in Advance,
Richard

Marvin Gülker

Am 15.03.2012 17:45, schrieb RichardOnRails:
> I saw a book on The Pragmatic Boookshelf that I thought I might wand
> to buy, but I saw no way to see a sample of its content a la Amazon.
>
> I downloaded its code and saw some .rdoc files. I could view them as
> text, but that's obviously not the best approach. I saw a
> recommendation somewhere to view them in a browser. I dragged the
> filename into the browser, which produced a somewhat better result.
>
> I believe that the content of http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib-1.9.2//
> is based on generated rdoc's and look great in my browser. What do I
> have to do to get the same formatting in my browser for the rdoc's I
> downloaded?

I don’t know the exact RDoc template they use at ruby-doc.org (I wish I
did, it’s great), but you can transform RDoc files into HTML just the
same way you transform Ruby documentation into HTML.

$ rdoc file1.rdoc file2.rdoc file3.rdoc ...

Note that under Ruby < 1.9 you have to install the `rdoc' gem first.

Vale,
Marvin

RichardOnRails

On Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:13:12 PM UTC-4, Marvin Glker wrote:
> Am 15.03.2012 17:45, schrieb RichardOnRails:
> > I saw a book on The Pragmatic Boookshelf that I thought I might wand
> > to buy, but I saw no way to see a sample of its content a la Amazon.
> >
> > I downloaded its code and saw some .rdoc files. I could view them as
> > text, but that's obviously not the best approach. I saw a
> > recommendation somewhere to view them in a browser. I dragged the
> > filename into the browser, which produced a somewhat better result.
> >
> > I believe that the content of http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib-1.9.2//
> > is based on generated rdoc's and look great in my browser. What do I
> > have to do to get the same formatting in my browser for the rdoc's I
> > downloaded?

> I dont know the exact RDoc template they use at ruby-doc.org (I wish I
> did, its great), but you can transform RDoc files into HTML just the
> same way you transform Ruby documentation into HTML.

Hi Marvin,

Thanks for your response.

> $ rdoc file1.rdoc file2.rdoc file3.rdoc ...
>
> Note that under Ruby < 1.9 you have to install the `rdoc' gem first.
>
> Vale,
> Marvin

On Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:13:12 PM UTC-4, Marvin Glker wrote:
> Am 15.03.2012 17:45, schrieb RichardOnRails:
> > I saw a book on The Pragmatic Boookshelf that I thought I might wand
> > to buy, but I saw no way to see a sample of its content a la Amazon.
> >
> > I downloaded its code and saw some .rdoc files. I could view them as
> > text, but that's obviously not the best approach. I saw a
> > recommendation somewhere to view them in a browser. I dragged the
> > filename into the browser, which produced a somewhat better result.
> >
> > I believe that the content of http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib-1.9.2//
> > is based on generated rdoc's and look great in my browser. What do I
> > have to do to get the same formatting in my browser for the rdoc's I
> > downloaded?

> I dont know the exact RDoc template they use at ruby-doc.org (I wish I
> did, its great), but you can transform RDoc files into HTML just the
> same way you transform Ruby documentation into HTML.
>
> $ rdoc file1.rdoc file2.rdoc file3.rdoc ...
>
> Note that under Ruby < 1.9 you have to install the `rdoc' gem first.
>
> Vale,
> Marvin

I got it working. I wrote up what I did and pasted an image of the Command Window when I was done. At the bottom you'll see the name of the html filethat was created, which creates a graphical report in the browser.

There's enough there to reconstruct what I did and get the generated code.

Thanks for your interest in my problem. All's well now.

Best wishes,
Richard