Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > client ssl verification

client ssl verification

Robin Becker

I'm trying to do client ssl verification with code that looks like the sample
below. I am able to reach and read urls that are secure and have no client
certificate requirement OK. If I set explicit_check to True then verbose output
indicates that the server certs are being checked fine ie I see the correct cert
details and am able to check them.

However, when I try to reach an apache location like

<Location /media/secret>
sslverifyclient require
sslverifydepth 10
</Location>

I am getting an error from urllib2 that goes like this

urllib2.py", line 1148, in do_open
raise URLError(err)
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 1] _ssl.c:1347: error:14094418:SSL
routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:tlsv1 alert unknown ca

I am using the server.crt and server.key (both in PEM format) from the target
server itself; I reasoned that should be the easiest combo for the client &
server to match, but I am obviously wrong. Any obvious stupidities to be pointed
out? I suppose I could create a new cert/key based on a self signed ca, but that
would not work properly for the other parts of the server.

--
Robin Becker