Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Lytro

Re: Lytro

tony cooper

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:22:51 -0500, Dave <Dave@l-e-i> wrote:

>> Now, my project:

>> At least once a year my wife and I go to Manhattan...to have fun of
>> the streets and get random and candid shots of people.

>> Even with my good, auto-focus camera, the shots happen so fast
>> most of them end up focusing on something other than what I was trying
>> for. With the Lytro at least I should have the ability to focus "after
>> the fact" and expect to get a better number of decent shots.

>> Anyway once I get the results I'll post back here
>> and all those who are curious will find out what the camera can really do.

>That's what I miss most about cities- people pics. It looks like the unit will be
>perfect for this type-- forgiving for those off-the-cuff shots.
>
>Looking forward to seeing what you produce!
>
>Also looking forward to what becomes of this technology.
>
>Me, I just spent $400+ on a new washing machine and a disappointing
>spin on the computer where several of my DSLR shots were a tiny shade
>OOF from last week's people shoot.

If you like to photograph interesting people, now is the time to come
Florida. Bike Week!

Shot Sunday:
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...3-11-98-XL.jpg
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

philo

On 03/13/2012 11:10 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:22:51 -0500, Dave<Dave@l-e-i> wrote:
>

>> Also looking forward to what becomes of this technology.
>>
>> Me, I just spent $400+ on a new washing machine and a disappointing
>> spin on the computer where several of my DSLR shots were a tiny shade
>> OOF from last week's people shoot.

> If you like to photograph interesting people, now is the time to come
> Florida. Bike Week!
>
> Shot Sunday:
> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...3-11-98-XL.jpg

Latest update:

My Lytro is scheduled to arrive on Monday.

I have a friend who is willing to let me load the software on his Mac
and test out the camera.

If it works well I will probably end up buying a Mac
as I doubt I'd be able to wait for the Windows software to arrive .
(I am a Linux user and there is no likelihood software will be avail for
that at all)

PeterN

On 3/18/2012 3:00 PM, philo wrote:
> On 03/13/2012 11:10 PM, tony cooper wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:22:51 -0500, Dave<Dave@l-e-i> wrote:
>>

>>> Also looking forward to what becomes of this technology.
>>>
>>> Me, I just spent $400+ on a new washing machine and a disappointing
>>> spin on the computer where several of my DSLR shots were a tiny shade
>>> OOF from last week's people shoot.

>> If you like to photograph interesting people, now is the time to come
>> Florida. Bike Week!
>>
>> Shot Sunday:
>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...3-11-98-XL.jpg
>>

> Latest update:
>
> My Lytro is scheduled to arrive on Monday.
>
> I have a friend who is willing to let me load the software on his Mac
> and test out the camera.
>
> If it works well I will probably end up buying a Mac
> as I doubt I'd be able to wait for the Windows software to arrive .
> (I am a Linux user and there is no likelihood software will be avail for
> that at all)

Getting ancy <G>
Let us know,

--
Peter

James Silverton

On 3/18/2012 3:00 PM, philo wrote:
> On 03/13/2012 11:10 PM, tony cooper wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:22:51 -0500, Dave<Dave@l-e-i> wrote:
>>

>>> Also looking forward to what becomes of this technology.
>>>
>>> Me, I just spent $400+ on a new washing machine and a disappointing
>>> spin on the computer where several of my DSLR shots were a tiny shade
>>> OOF from last week's people shoot.

>> If you like to photograph interesting people, now is the time to come
>> Florida. Bike Week!
>>
>> Shot Sunday:
>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...3-11-98-XL.jpg
>>

> Latest update:
>
> My Lytro is scheduled to arrive on Monday.
>
> I have a friend who is willing to let me load the software on his Mac
> and test out the camera.
>
> If it works well I will probably end up buying a Mac
> as I doubt I'd be able to wait for the Windows software to arrive .
> (I am a Linux user and there is no likelihood software will be avail for
> that at all)

Please keep us (especially me ) informed. I'm in the same position as
you and don't want to make a complete switch to Apple even if I *can*
use Macs owned by by relatives.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

philo

On 03/18/2012 02:54 PM, PeterN wrote:
> On 3/18/2012 3:00 PM, philo wrote:
>> On
>>
>> Latest update:
>>
>> My Lytro is scheduled to arrive on Monday.
>>
>> I have a friend who is willing to let me load the software on his Mac
>> and test out the camera.
>>
>> If it works well I will probably end up buying a Mac
>> as I doubt I'd be able to wait for the Windows software to arrive .
>> (I am a Linux user and there is no likelihood software will be avail for
>> that at all)

> Getting ancy <G>
> Let us know,

As soon as I have results I will post back and let everyone know
and show some sample photos

philo

On 03/18/2012 03:21 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 3/18/2012 3:00 PM, philo wrote:
>> On 0
>>

>> Latest update:
>>
>> My Lytro is scheduled to arrive on Monday.
>>
>> I have a friend who is willing to let me load the software on his Mac
>> and test out the camera.
>>
>> If it works well I will probably end up buying a Mac
>> as I doubt I'd be able to wait for the Windows software to arrive .
>> (I am a Linux user and there is no likelihood software will be avail for
>> that at all)

> Please keep us (especially me ) informed. I'm in the same position as
> you and don't want to make a complete switch to Apple even if I *can*
> use Macs owned by by relatives.

I was so anxious to try out a Lytro I bought one even though I do not
own a new enough Mac. I have an iMac that someone gave me...but the OS
is way too old to run the Lytro software. My main machines run Linux
(but I do have an XP machine) and my wife uses XP_64bit

I do not mind spending money but am really having problems
psychologically , with the thought of buying a new machine. I always
make them myself or else fix up old junk people give me.

Now, with the camera coming on Monday my mind actually started to work
so I posted on Facebook knowing that one of my friends must have a new
enough Mac and also curious about the new Lytro.

Now, if the Lytro does the job for me I probably will actually just buy
a Mini-Mac. If I get it I'll replace an old laptop in my house that has
a permanent place on a desk. (The battery died five years ago)

There is also a possibility that if my friend does not mind me coming
over once or twice a month, I may wait for Lytro to come out with the
Windows software.

philo

On 03/18/2012 04:33 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2012-03-18 16:21 , James Silverton wrote:

>>> Latest update:
>>>
>>> My Lytro is scheduled to arrive on Monday.
>>>
>>> I have a friend who is willing to let me load the software on his Mac
>>> and test out the camera.
>>>
>>> If it works well I will probably end up buying a Mac
>>> as I doubt I'd be able to wait for the Windows software to arrive .
>>> (I am a Linux user and there is no likelihood software will be avail for
>>> that at all)

>> Please keep us (especially me ) informed. I'm in the same position as
>> you and don't want to make a complete switch to Apple

> You can likely pick up a cheapish ($350 - $400) mac mini from craigslist
> (just make sure it's an intel version). With that and a cheap screen,
> keyboard and mouse you're good to go and you can maintain your Windows
> habit.
>
> When the windows v. comes out, sell the mac mini on craigslist (after
> copying off the images of course...).

I've looked on both Craig's list and eBay and a new Mini-Mac costs only
slightly more than a used one...so if I get one I figure I might was
well get a new one. If I do get it...it will be replacing a 12 year old
machine

philo

On 03/18/2012 03:58 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2012-03-18 15:00 , philo wrote:
>>
>> My Lytro is scheduled to arrive on Monday.
>>
>> I have a friend who is willing to let me load the software on his Mac
>> and test out the camera.
>>
>> If it works well I will probably end up buying a Mac
>> as I doubt I'd be able to wait for the Windows software to arrive .
>> (I am a Linux user and there is no likelihood software will be avail for
>> that at all)

> I look forward to it. Where was your SI contribution, by the way? (Never
> too late).

What's an "SI" contribution?

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When the windows v. comes out, sell the mac mini on craigslist (after
> copying off the images of course...).

or just reboot it into windows.

philo

On 03/18/2012 05:00 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2012-03-18 17:48 , philo wrote:
>> On 03/18/2012 04:33 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

>>> You can likely pick up a cheapish ($350 - $400) mac mini from craigslist
>>> (just make sure it's an intel version). With that and a cheap screen,
>>> keyboard and mouse you're good to go and you can maintain your Windows
>>> habit.
>>>
>>> When the windows v. comes out, sell the mac mini on craigslist (after
>>> copying off the images of course...).
>>>

>> I've looked on both Craig's list and eBay and a new Mini-Mac costs only
>> slightly more than a used one...so if I get one I figure I might was
>> well get a new one. If I do get it...it will be replacing a 12 year old
>> machine

> You won't know what hit you!
>
> They do hold their value...

I am sure that if I am "forced" into buying a Mac
there will be no complaints!

Inside the Lytro charles Digital Photography 1 03-01-2012 09:06 AM
Lytro Cameras James Silverton Digital Photography 9 02-09-2012 06:21 PM
Amazed at news penetration of that infinite focus camera the Lytro RichA Digital Photography 15 11-03-2011 01:34 PM
Lytro philo Digital Photography 12 11-01-2011 10:07 PM
Lytro Camera Eric Miller Digital Photography 2 08-08-2011 08:46 PM

Advertisments