Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Lytro

Re: Lytro

Wolfgang Weisselberg

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > then you will like a mac since os x is unix underneath,

>> Which means nothing at all.
>> First there are tons of different Unices. And while most of
>> them have similar tools, many don't have the GNU Tools ---
>> which are much more stable, feature rich and capable.

>> (Just for example, vendor "tail" programs do not necessarily
>> support displaying or watching the end of several files ...)

> that only matters to unix geeks.

And any setting on the camera other than full auto (including
RAW, exposure compensation, white balance) and stuff like proper
framing or noise or properly used flash and gear that's more
advanced than a point'n'shoot only matter to photography geeks.

Your point was?

> nearly everyone who buys a mac doesn't
> care about what 'tail' does (or even know what it means), however, for
> those who do, it's already there and if it doesn't do exactly what they
> want they can install a version that does.

And you do have sources that actually researched that?

>> > everything you
>> > do on linux will work natively,

>> No, it won't. At best, it would need to be recompiled.

>> Unfortunately, that's not enough. The code needs to be
>> ported. Which has it's own problems (i.e. migration of bug
>> fixes and new features into the Mac OS code base, people
>> willing to care for the port etc.)

> nearly everything has already been ported and recompiled for os x, and
> those same issues apply to any unix.

The premiere Unix today is Linux. For which it doesn't need to be
ported, since that's what it's developed upon.

>> > plus there's a lot of mac apps
>> > available too.

>> There's more Windows apps than that. The poster has given
>> up Windows. So "lots of apps" isn't an argument.

> quality versus quantity,

So you're also saying Mac applications are better. Voices in
your head telling you that?

> and a mac can run all of the windows apps
> alongside the mac apps. best of both worlds. add in the unix ones too
> for even more flexibility.

I see. A mac can do everything (and the moon's made out of cheese).
Bad news for you: Macs only matter to Mac geeks. Everyone else
doesn't care.

Actually, Linux can run all "windows apps", too.

-Wolfgang

Inside the Lytro charles Digital Photography 1 03-01-2012 09:06 AM
Lytro Cameras James Silverton Digital Photography 9 02-09-2012 06:21 PM
Amazed at news penetration of that infinite focus camera the Lytro RichA Digital Photography 15 11-03-2011 01:34 PM
Lytro philo Digital Photography 12 11-01-2011 10:07 PM
Lytro Camera Eric Miller Digital Photography 2 08-08-2011 08:46 PM

Advertisments