Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Homeless as HOTspots

Homeless as HOTspots

bob urz

Jeff Strickland

"bob urz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jjo0if$gul$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/te...stin.html?_r=1
>
> bob

I saw that story in the paper, or on TV, whatever.

My question is, do they really think that people with laptops are gonna hang
out by the dumpster or the freeway overpass? I don't see this plan working
out for anybody.

Julie Bove

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jjo76r$6jb$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "bob urz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jjo0if$gul$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/te...stin.html?_r=1
>>
>> bob

> I saw that story in the paper, or on TV, whatever.
>
> My question is, do they really think that people with laptops are gonna
> hang out by the dumpster or the freeway overpass? I don't see this plan
> working out for anybody.

Me either.

VanguardLH

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> bob urz wrote ...
>
>> http://www. nytimes. com/2012/03/13/technology/homeless-as-wi-fi-transmitters-creates-a-stir-in-austin.html?_r=1

> My question is, do they really think that people with laptops are gonna hang
> out by the dumpster or the freeway overpass? I don't see this plan working
> out for anybody.

And, of course, we users really want roaming hotspots so we'll never
know where they are hour by hour and day by day. Forget looking up the
hotspot at a wifi site. When you find one, it's moving. Are there a
lot of laptop users in the slums?

Maybe they figure the really dumb laptop users will roam into those
areas and suddenly turn up dead after flashing their electronics gear to
the penniless. Something like proactive reduction of idiot genes.
Maybe they're working with the Darwin Awards site.

And, of course, these homeless folk would never think about hocking the
gear to get some ready cash.

Maybe the real intent is to give them the equivalent of ankle bracelets.
If the hotspot doesn't move in 18 hours they figure they know where to
send the morgue to pickup a corpse.

meagain

VanguardLH wrote:
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>
>> bob urz wrote ...
>>
>>> http://www. nytimes. com/2012/03/13/technology/homeless-as-wi-fi-transmitters-creates-a-stir-in-austin.html?_r=1

>> My question is, do they really think that people with laptops are gonna hang
>> out by the dumpster or the freeway overpass? I don't see this plan working
>> out for anybody.

> And, of course, we users really want roaming hotspots so we'll never
> know where they are hour by hour and day by day. Forget looking up the
> hotspot at a wifi site. When you find one, it's moving. Are there a
> lot of laptop users in the slums?
>
> Maybe they figure the really dumb laptop users will roam into those
> areas and suddenly turn up dead after flashing their electronics gear to
> the penniless. Something like proactive reduction of idiot genes.
> Maybe they're working with the Darwin Awards site.
>
> And, of course, these homeless folk would never think about hocking the
> gear to get some ready cash.

The real intent is to have them fill in 4G for events, flash mobs,
conventions, whatever. The wearable access points are cheaper
and easier to reposition than trucks.