Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Metabones: $400 worth of scrap plastic and aluminum

Metabones: $400 worth of scrap plastic and aluminum

RichA

Bo-Ming Tong

On Mar 12, 10:17*pm, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.eoshd.com/content/7415/re...-sony-e-mount-...

The first line of which reads:

"UPDATE: Metabones inform me they have fixed the latest adapters with
an anti-reflective part. If your adapter suffers from reflections, if
yours has any of the issues below, simply contact Metabones and send
your adapter back for a service."

Also if you read the comments to that review, you will find that only
the first batch shipped on Jan 17 suffered from this problem, and that
we issued a recall of the first batch on Jan 21, before the shipment
arrived in any customers' hands. However, this reviewer is still
holding onto the recalled adapter and writes about its defects as if
it were breaking news, after those problems have been fixed more than
a month ago.

That article was outdated because the problems described were fixed
more than a month ago. I would strongly recommend anyone concerned to
read it fully, including the comments.

Bo-Ming Tong
Founder, Conurus

RichA

On Mar 13, 12:06*pm, Bo-Ming Tong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 12, 10:17*pm, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >http://www.eoshd.com/content/7415/re...-sony-e-mount-...

> The first line of which reads:
>
> "UPDATE: Metabones inform me they have fixed the latest adapters with
> an anti-reflective part. If your adapter suffers from reflections, if
> yours has any of the issues below, simply contact Metabones and send
> your adapter back for a service."
>
> Also if you read the comments to that review, you will find that only
> the first batch shipped on Jan 17 suffered from this problem, and that
> we issued a recall of the first batch on Jan 21, before the shipment
> arrived in any customers' hands. However, this reviewer is still
> holding onto the recalled adapter and writes about its defects as if
> it were breaking news, after those problems have been fixed more than
> a month ago.
>
> That article was outdated because the problems described were fixed
> more than a month ago. I would strongly recommend anyone concerned to
> read it fully, including the comments.
>
> Bo-Ming Tong
> Founder, Conurus

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe you can answer one question
though. How is it manufacturers can release products that clearly
have problems like this? How is it these things skip manufacturing
Q.C. and yet readily get found by the users? Canon, Fuji, Nikon. All
of them have done it in the last couple years.

Bo-Ming Tong

On Mar 13, 6:48*pm, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 13, 12:06*pm, Bo-Ming Tong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 12, 10:17*pm, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > >http://www.eoshd.com/content/7415/re...-sony-e-mount-....

> > The first line of which reads:

> > "UPDATE: Metabones inform me they have fixed the latest adapters with
> > an anti-reflective part. If your adapter suffers from reflections, if
> > yours has any of the issues below, simply contact Metabones and send
> > your adapter back for a service."

> > Also if you read the comments to that review, you will find that only
> > the first batch shipped on Jan 17 suffered from this problem, and that
> > we issued a recall of the first batch on Jan 21, before the shipment
> > arrived in any customers' hands. However, this reviewer is still
> > holding onto the recalled adapter and writes about its defects as if
> > it were breaking news, after those problems have been fixed more than
> > a month ago.

> > That article was outdated because the problems described were fixed
> > more than a month ago. I would strongly recommend anyone concerned to
> > read it fully, including the comments.

> > Bo-Ming Tong
> > Founder, Conurus

> Thanks for the clarification. *Maybe you can answer one question
> though. *How is it manufacturers can release products that clearly
> have problems like this? *How is it these things skip manufacturing
> Q.C. and yet readily get found by the users? *Canon, Fuji, Nikon. *All
> of them have done it in the last couple years.

Thank you for your question. I would encourage you to read the link
yourself have provided, in particular its comment thread in its
entirety. All the pertinent information is in the comment thread which
I don't think there is a need to repeat here.

eoshd received the adapter in January it took them more than a month
to find the ghosting problem. That gives you an idea of how "clear"
the problem was. Also consider the fact that eoshd received a product
recall notice in January but have chosen to hold onto the product all
this time, instead of returning it to the manufacturer for repair or
refund. The only plausible explanation was that the product was so
important to them that they were not willing to part with it, despite
the fact that they have been notified the product was defective and
was in need of a fix.

DanP

On Wednesday, 14 March 2012 01:48:09 UTC, RichA wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification. Maybe you can answer one question
> though. How is it manufacturers can release products that clearly
> have problems like this? How is it these things skip manufacturing
> Q.C. and yet readily get found by the users? Canon, Fuji, Nikon. All
> of them have done it in the last couple years.

Ever had to meet a deadline? You test and find a list of problems, fix some and others appear as a result. Holding back production till QC is absolutely 100% sure is too costly.

It happens with cars, satellites, mobile phones, software as well, so it is quite common.

I blame complexity.

DanP