Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is Nikon full of s---? (Independent repair facilities)

Is Nikon full of s---? (Independent repair facilities)

RichA

I wonder. Automotive shops faced this starting in the early 1980's,
cars became more sophisticated with computer control, etc. Yet, we
still see thousands of independent repair shops today. Perhaps Nikon
is worried that the old men who man some are not capable of learning
the new systems, or affording the tools to do the job, so they want to
prevent those shops from participating? Modularity in cameras would
go a long way to improving things. But that isn't likely to happen,
it's not the Japanese way.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03...vice-companies

Bryan

RichA wrote:
> *I wonder. *Automotive shops faced this starting in the early 1980's,
> cars became more sophisticated with computer control, etc. *Yet, we
> still see thousands of independent repair shops today. *Perhaps Nikon
> is worried that the old men who man some are not capable of learning

[...]

Does it dawn on you, RichA, to devote ten minutes to an issue before
blessing this newsgroup with your insights? Big photo is years behind
big auto in putting the squeeze on independent repair shops.

RichA

On Mar 13, 3:14*am, Bryan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA wrote:
> > *I wonder. *Automotive shops faced this starting in the early 1980's,
> > cars became more sophisticated with computer control, etc. *Yet, we
> > still see thousands of independent repair shops today. *Perhaps Nikon
> > is worried that the old men who man some are not capable of learning

> [...]
>
> Does it dawn on you, RichA, to devote ten minutes to an issue before
> blessing this newsgroup with your insights? Big photo is years behind
> big auto in putting the squeeze on independent repair shops.

So there are no more independent automotive repair shops today?
Nikon's broad-brush here will basically put any shops that base most
of their business on Nikon out of business.

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mar 13, 3:14*am, Bryan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> RichA wrote:
>> > *I wonder. *Automotive shops faced this starting in the early 1980's,
>> > cars became more sophisticated with computer control, etc. *Yet, we
>> > still see thousands of independent repair shops today. *Perhaps Nikon
>> > is worried that the old men who man some are not capable of learning

>> [...]
>>
>> Does it dawn on you, RichA, to devote ten minutes to an issue before
>> blessing this newsgroup with your insights? Big photo is years behind
>> big auto in putting the squeeze on independent repair shops.

>So there are no more independent automotive repair shops today?
>Nikon's broad-brush here will basically put any shops that base most
>of their business on Nikon out of business.

There is no sign of this happening in Europe. I would be concerned if
it did, because camera repairs are one of the better performing parts
of our business and we currently have no problems buying Nikon parts.

Is it perhaps connected with Nikon USA's long-standing paranoia about
grey imports as a means of ensuring that they cannot be repaired?

PeterN

On 3/13/2012 11:14 PM, Rich wrote:
> Bruce<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> RichA<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 1980's,

> Nikon

> learning

>>> So there are no more independent automotive repair shops today?
>>> Nikon's broad-brush here will basically put any shops that base most
>>> of their business on Nikon out of business.

>> There is no sign of this happening in Europe. I would be concerned if
>> it did, because camera repairs are one of the better performing parts
>> of our business and we currently have no problems buying Nikon parts.
>>
>> Is it perhaps connected with Nikon USA's long-standing paranoia about
>> grey imports as a means of ensuring that they cannot be repaired?
>>

> Kind of late to the game in the U.S. for that. They've had grey market
> stuff in the U.S. for decades. None in Canada that I know of.

For you not to hear of something is not the least bit unusual:

"In particular, Canada seems to be a real stickler with not wanting to
repair anything that wasn't purchased through them (a real problem due
to the proximity of US camera shops to many Canadians).
"

Thom Hogan doesn't usually talk about something that is not a problem.

<http://www.bythom.com/warranty.htm>

--
Peter