Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lytro

Lytro

PeterN

On 3/10/2012 4:30 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 09:14:04 -0600, philo<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> It's pretty obvious - to anyone who has taken the effort to read the
>>> publicity *and* investigate how the Lytro works - just how little the
>>> Lytro can do and how limited its abilities are. I suppose it would be
>>> mildly interesting to see if any practical application can be found
>>> for something that is so severely limited in terms of its performance.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, the Lytro is just a toy camera that will gather dust on a
>>> few people's shelves once the novelty has worn off.
>>>

>> Since you have never used one I'd say it's hard to judge
>>
>> I prefer to find out for myself
>>
>> It's my money and no sweat off of anyone else's hide

> I don't see why you need to be defensive about your purchase. Most
> active photographers have gambled on new equipment and won some and
> lost some. There are fish-eyes, Lens-babies, and macro lenses sitting
> unused in some closets of people who thought they couldn't live
> without them. Some people think the same item was one of their best
> buys.
>
> My weakness is camera bags. I have four "this is the perfect bag"
> sitting in the closet and I'm thinking of adding my current bag to
> that dusty corner.

Cuppola Rolies, a Yasichamat and a Bronica are just some of my entries
in that contest. Camera bags would have been a lot cheaper at the time,
but I did cash in all all but the Bronica.

--
Peter

MadHatter

On Mar 10, 2:30*pm, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 09:14:04 -0600, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> It's pretty obvious - to anyone who has taken the effort to read the
> >> publicity *and* investigate how the Lytro works - just how little the
> >> Lytro can do and how limited its abilities are. *I suppose it would be
> >> mildly interesting to see if any practical application can be found
> >> for something that is so severely limited in terms of its performance.

> >> Otherwise, the Lytro is just a toy camera that will gather dust on a
> >> few people's shelves once the novelty has worn off.

> >Since you have never used one I'd say it's hard to judge

> >I prefer to find out for myself

> >It's my money and no sweat off of anyone else's hide

> I don't see why you need to be defensive about your purchase. *Most
> active photographers have gambled on new equipment and won some and
> lost some. *There are fish-eyes, Lens-babies, and macro lenses sitting
> unused in some closets of people who thought they couldn't live
> without them. *Some people think the same item was one of their best
> buys.
>
> My weakness is camera bags. *I have four "this is the perfect bag"
> sitting in the closet and I'm thinking of adding my current bag to
> that dusty corner.
>
> --
> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

I find it amazing that a macro could sit unused. But I guess it all
depends on the individual. Many couldn't live without a good
telephoto while I would almost never use one.

tony cooper

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:01:53 -0400, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2012-03-10 16:30 , tony cooper wrote:

>>> Since you have never used one I'd say it's hard to judge
>>>
>>> I prefer to find out for myself
>>>
>>> It's my money and no sweat off of anyone else's hide

>> I don't see why you need to be defensive about your purchase. Most

>I don't see Philo's posts as defensive. He is being a gentleman in
>explaining (when he has no obligation to do so), proactive and doing
>while Lord Tony "Bruce" Polson snipes from the sidelines based on
>articles and advertisements. As usual if Tony does not "approve" then
>it is wrong. Pathetic.

I didn't say Philo was being defensive. I said he needn't defend what
he's doing in response to Bruce's comments.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 08:10:20 -0700 (PDT), MadHatter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mar 10, 2:30*pm, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >Since you have never used one I'd say it's hard to judge

>> >I prefer to find out for myself

>> >It's my money and no sweat off of anyone else's hide

>> I don't see why you need to be defensive about your purchase. *Most
>> active photographers have gambled on new equipment and won some and
>> lost some. *There are fish-eyes, Lens-babies, and macro lenses sitting
>> unused in some closets of people who thought they couldn't live
>> without them. *Some people think the same item was one of their best
>> buys.
>>
>> My weakness is camera bags. *I have four "this is the perfect bag"
>> sitting in the closet and I'm thinking of adding my current bag to
>> that dusty corner.
>>
>> --
>> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

>I find it amazing that a macro could sit unused. But I guess it all
>depends on the individual. Many couldn't live without a good
>telephoto while I would almost never use one.

You assume, then, that all owners of cameras 1) have some interest in
macro photography, 2) understand that a macro lens is not just a lens
to be used to photograph a spider's eyelashes, or 3) never make
impulse purchases based on seeing what someone else has done.

There are very few among us that don't have something in a closet that
they bought thinking they had to have it, but have never used it after
the first few attempts. Some of those things are camera accessories.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On 03/10/2012 08:20 AM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Otherwise, the Lytro is just a toy camera that will gather dust on a
>>> few people's shelves once the novelty has worn off.

>>Since you have never used one I'd say it's hard to judge

> What is hard to judge is whether there exists in the world a question
> or problem to which the answer or solution is Lytro.

No, that's easy to judge: There exists such a question and problem.
What is hard to judge is whether you'll spot it before it's common
knowledge.

-Wolfgang

nospam

In article <2012031818245375249-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> > A few years ago I got hit with a root kit and have used Linux ever since

> A Mac can run Linux. So You might find the Mac Mini useful for more
> than one thing.

there's very little point since most linux apps have already been
ported to os x, and then there are all the mac apps that are much
better.

> Hell you might find the Mac just useful beyond processing Lytro images.
> Many do.

very true.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>> > A few years ago I got hit with a root kit and have used Linux ever since

>> A Mac can run Linux. So You might find the Mac Mini useful for more
>> than one thing.

> there's very little point since most linux apps have already been
> ported to os x, and then there are all the mac apps that are much
> better.

If you think that, stay with Apple.

However, others may think that free choice of hardware instead of
only Apple hardware (legal requirements) is valuable. Buying an
OS (and mayor upgrades every time) from Apple for each computer
one uses may not be what they want.

Then there's the fact that only some parts are Open Source.
Which may mean nothing to you, but a whole lot to other people.

Of course many Open Source programs are also available on Mac OS
X ... but often not in the newest version. It's not natively
supported --- you have to jump through some hoops --- and thus
more of a hassle.

And "OS X" is not a very google friendly term.

>> Hell you might find the Mac just useful beyond processing Lytro images.
>> Many do.

> very true.

Many Open Source programs are also available on Windows and
there are many, MANY times more apps for Windows than for
OS X.

-Wolfgang

Inside the Lytro charles Digital Photography 1 03-01-2012 09:06 AM
Lytro Cameras James Silverton Digital Photography 9 02-09-2012 06:21 PM
Amazed at news penetration of that infinite focus camera the Lytro RichA Digital Photography 15 11-03-2011 01:34 PM
Lytro philo Digital Photography 12 11-01-2011 10:07 PM
Lytro Camera Eric Miller Digital Photography 2 08-08-2011 08:46 PM

Advertisments