Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > What is up with Sipgate?

What is up with Sipgate?

Anthony R. Gold

Does anyone understand Sipgate? Who are they and are they commercially
stable? I have been using the UK service with great success but I am most
concerned at whether they are viable and stable. They started to operate in
the USA http://www.sipgate.com/ but then put up messages about increased
registrations in the last few weeks and of new number "very soon". Those
message must be around a year old by now.

Does anyone have any insights directly or via contacts or other reports into
their viability and/or stability in Eu or elsewhere?

To be clear, I love their service but will be badly messed up if my Sipgate
DID stopped working.

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Anthony R. Gold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Does anyone understand Sipgate? Who are they and are they commercially
>stable? I have been using the UK service with great success but I am most
>concerned at whether they are viable and stable. They started to operate in
>the USA http://www.sipgate.com/ but then put up messages about increased
>registrations in the last few weeks and of new number "very soon". Those
>message must be around a year old by now.
>
>Does anyone have any insights directly or via contacts or other reports into
>their viability and/or stability in Eu or elsewhere?
>
>To be clear, I love their service but will be badly messed up if my Sipgate
>DID stopped working.

I can't say anything about Sipgate other than that I've used them since I
first got interested in VoIP 5+ years ago and they keep on going...

I think the answer to your first question is: "A couple of blokes in Germany".

However their upstream in the UK is (or was, I presume still is) Magrathea
and I know from talking to them that should one of their resellers go
"phut" for whatever reason then a good effort would be made to keep their
customers happy - by seeing if another one of their resellers would take
over their customers - I also resell VoIP from Magrathea... Part of my own
"get run over by a bus" plan involves another Magrathea reseller to take
my stuff over...

So (without really knowing anything about Sipgate), I'd be reasonably
confident that things aren't going to change - at least not in the UK -
for a while.

Gordon

Anthony R. Gold

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 09:29:54 +0000, alexd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anthony R. Gold (for it is he) wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any insights directly or via contacts or other reports
>> into their viability and/or stability in Eu or elsewhere?

> I've been using Sipgate since about 2005 and am confident enough in their
> financial viability to keep paying them up-front for calls.
>
> Something to bear in mind about the US is that incoming calls don't get
> revenue share, whereas in the UK Sipgate will get a tiny bit of termination
> fee for incoming calls. This may affect the viability of the service in the
> US.

I'd be happy to be offered a different pricing model that was more
appropriate to the USA, such as with a monthly charge for the USA DID.

> Also, Google Voice is a strong competitor, probably all the more so now
> that Android is in the ascendent. I'm not sure what the deal is with revenue
> share in the rest of the EU.

GV offers no forwarding via SIP. I am able to use GV in connection with
another service, i.e. IPKall, but it is no alternative. And IPKall is the
weak link in the system with the continual risk of DID number loss through
inactivity and with no way to buy oneself a safety net.

If anyone can recommend some other reliable USA DID/SIP provider, I'd be
most grateful.

Ria Elaine

On 09/03/12 15:09, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> In article<(E-Mail Removed) >,
> Anthony R. Gold<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Does anyone understand Sipgate? Who are they and are they commercially
>> stable? I have been using the UK service with great success but I am most
>> concerned at whether they are viable and stable. They started to operate in
>> the USA http://www.sipgate.com/ but then put up messages about increased
>> registrations in the last few weeks and of new number "very soon". Those
>> message must be around a year old by now.
>>
>> Does anyone have any insights directly or via contacts or other reports into
>> their viability and/or stability in Eu or elsewhere?
>>
>> To be clear, I love their service but will be badly messed up if my Sipgate
>> DID stopped working.

> I can't say anything about Sipgate other than that I've used them since I
> first got interested in VoIP 5+ years ago and they keep on going...

Ditto. I have 5 numbers on the UK network, I also still have a German
number active from when I was there for a while 5 years ago. It's not
been used since then, but still registers and periodic calls to the
voice-mail number produce a nice German lady telling me to press various
numbers

> I think the answer to your first question is: "A couple of blokes in Germany".

I used to know someone who worked for them at the time they started in
the UK, hence my spending a little time over there. I believe they have
around 25 or so employees.

> However their upstream in the UK is (or was, I presume still is) Magrathea
> and I know from talking to them that should one of their resellers go
> "phut" for whatever reason then a good effort would be made to keep their
> customers happy - by seeing if another one of their resellers would take
> over their customers - I also resell VoIP from Magrathea... Part of my own
> "get run over by a bus" plan involves another Magrathea reseller to take
> my stuff over...
>
> So (without really knowing anything about Sipgate), I'd be reasonably
> confident that things aren't going to change - at least not in the UK -
> for a while.

They seem to be remarkably stable these days, given their early history.
I'm certainly happy with them; where else can you get UK numbers
completely free..?

--
Much love,
Ria xx

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ria Elaine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>They seem to be remarkably stable these days, given their early history.
>I'm certainly happy with them; where else can you get UK numbers
>completely free..?

UKDDI - Hm. seems to now be: http://www.3c.co.uk/

Gordon