Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lytro = junkpile

Lytro = junkpile

RichA

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro

Would that such a simple device and form-factor was a normal-sensored
camera, 4/3rds sensor in the same package with a prime focal length
lens. No embellishments, a better screen but the same size would be
interesting as a pocketable product. As it is, (no images posted for
it's output??) it's one of those techy-toys you'll used for a couple
days and shelve.

The Lytro reminds me of a Bushnell binocular known as "Permafocus."
They were basically a scam, pretending to be in-focus across the
distance range when in-fact they used optical trickery that resulted
in very poor overall performance. They were aimed at the lower-tier
buyer as well.

Robert Coe

:
: Would that such a simple device and form-factor was a normal-sensored
: camera, 4/3rds sensor in the same package with a prime focal length
: lens. No embellishments, a better screen but the same size would be
: interesting as a pocketable product. As it is, (no images posted for
: it's output??) it's one of those techy-toys you'll used for a couple
: days and shelve.
:
: The Lytro reminds me of a Bushnell binocular known as "Permafocus."
: They were basically a scam, pretending to be in-focus across the
: distance range when in-fact they used optical trickery that resulted
: in very poor overall performance. They were aimed at the lower-tier
: buyer as well.

Everyone has a niche to fill. Philo Kassner has published a well received book
about the denizens of a Milwaukee watering hole, and now some are suggesting
that he branch out and become a photographer of saloons in other cities.

You, OTOH, have a knack for writing reviews of cameras you've never seen.
Maybe you could parley that into a profitable sideline, just like Philo.
People might buy your books, just to see how close you ever come to the truth.

Bob

RichA

On Mar 1, 12:43*pm, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 05:23:39 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> :http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro
> :
> : Would that such a simple device and form-factor was a normal-sensored
> : camera, 4/3rds sensor in the same package with a prime focal length
> : lens. *No embellishments, a better screen but the same size would be
> : interesting as a pocketable product. *As it is, (no images posted for
> : it's output??) it's one of those techy-toys you'll used for a couple
> : days and shelve.
> :
> : The Lytro reminds me of a Bushnell binocular known as "Permafocus."
> : They were basically a scam, pretending to be in-focus across the
> : distance range when in-fact they used optical trickery that resulted
> : in very poor overall performance. *They were aimed at the lower-tier
> : buyer as well.
>
> Everyone has a niche to fill. Philo Kassner has published a well receivedbook
> about the denizens of a Milwaukee watering hole, and now some are suggesting
> that he branch out and become a photographer of saloons in other cities.
>
> You, OTOH, have a knack for writing reviews of cameras you've never seen.
> Maybe you could parley that into a profitable sideline, just like Philo.
> People might buy your books, just to see how close you ever come to the truth.
>
> Bob

Yawn. Like you have to see that toy to judge it?

RichA

On Mar 1, 1:45*pm, Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On 2012-03-01 08:23 , RichA wrote:
>
> >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro

> > Would that such a simple device and form-factor was a normal-sensored

> <blah-blah snipped>.
>
> For every company and individual who puts their time and capital on the
> line to test a new idea and approach there are thousands of jerkoffs
> like RichA shitting steaming piles of worthless opinion.

Seems like I remember a line about one being born every minute...

philo

On 03/01/2012 11:43 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 05:23:39 -0800 (PST), RichA<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro
> :
> : Would that such a simple device and form-factor was a normal-sensored
> : camera, 4/3rds sensor in the same package with a prime focal length
> : lens. No embellishments, a better screen but the same size would be
> : interesting as a pocketable product. As it is, (no images posted for
> : it's output??) it's one of those techy-toys you'll used for a couple
> : days and shelve.
> :
> : The Lytro reminds me of a Bushnell binocular known as "Permafocus."
> : They were basically a scam, pretending to be in-focus across the
> : distance range when in-fact they used optical trickery that resulted
> : in very poor overall performance. They were aimed at the lower-tier
> : buyer as well.
>
> Everyone has a niche to fill. Philo Kassner has published a well received book
> about the denizens of a Milwaukee watering hole, and now some are suggesting
> that he branch out and become a photographer of saloons in other cities.
>
> You, OTOH, have a knack for writing reviews of cameras you've never seen.
> Maybe you could parley that into a profitable sideline, just like Philo.
> People might buy your books, just to see how close you ever come to the truth.
>
> Bob

When I get it I will post here and let everyone know it's limits and
it's capabilities.

No once can judge it if they have not tried it

Jerry Smith

On 2012.03.01 13:45, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2012-03-01 08:23 , RichA wrote:
>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro
>>
>> Would that such a simple device and form-factor was a normal-sensored

> <blah-blah snipped>.
>
> For every company and individual who puts their time and capital on the
> line to test a new idea and approach there are thousands of jerkoffs
> like RichA shitting steaming piles of worthless opinion.
>
> Thankfully there are pools of capital willing to take risks on inventors
> with more intelligence per cubic mm of brainmass than RichA's entire
> lineage back over 1000 generations.
>
> [ The company was founded in 2006 by CEO Dr. Ren Ng, whose research
> in light field photography won best PhD dissertation in computer
> science at Stanford in 2006 as well as the internationally
> recognized ACM award. ]
>
> [ Lytro has raised approximately $50 million to date from Andreessen
> Horowitz, Greylock Partners, NEA, and K9 Ventures along with
> individual investors. Greylock Partners seeded Lytro and Andreessen
> Horowitz led the most recent Series C round, which raised $37.6
> million for Lytro’s push into consumer markets this year. NEA lead
> the Series B round in 2010. ]

Why do you anser that idiot anyway?

Silly waste of time.

Jer.

Robert Coe

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 12:11:57 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On Mar 1, 12:43*pm, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 05:23:39 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >
: > :http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro
: > :
[...]

I would agree with you that the Lytro is no threat to existing photographic
technology. But if the camera does what its manufacturers say it will do,
someone will find a sensible, maybe even profitable, use for it. I guess it
won't be you.

Bob

[...]

Fundamentally, the Lytro is a device that exaggerates the effect of light
arriving at its sensor from oblique angles. Used in conjunction with a laser
light source, it might aid in detecting flexing, and therefore potential
failure, in metal structures like airplanes, storage tanks, etc. It's just a
thought. I'm not a structural engineer and know almost nothing about the
subject.

Bob

Bruce

Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 05:23:39 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro
>:
>: Would that such a simple device and form-factor was a normal-sensored
>: camera, 4/3rds sensor in the same package with a prime focal length
>: lens. No embellishments, a better screen but the same size would be
>: interesting as a pocketable product. As it is, (no images posted for
>: it's output??) it's one of those techy-toys you'll used for a couple
>: days and shelve.
>:
>: The Lytro reminds me of a Bushnell binocular known as "Permafocus."
>: They were basically a scam, pretending to be in-focus across the
>: distance range when in-fact they used optical trickery that resulted
>: in very poor overall performance. They were aimed at the lower-tier
>: buyer as well.
>
>Fundamentally, the Lytro is a device that exaggerates the effect of light
>arriving at its sensor from oblique angles. Used in conjunction with a laser
>light source, it might aid in detecting flexing, and therefore potential
>failure, in metal structures like airplanes, storage tanks, etc. It's just a
>thought. I'm not a structural engineer and know almost nothing about the
>subject.

You should write to Lytro with that suggestion, Bob.

Ray Fischer

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mar 1, 1:45*pm, Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>> On 2012-03-01 08:23 , RichA wrote:
>>
>> >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro

>> > Would that such a simple device and form-factor was a normal-sensored

>> <blah-blah snipped>.
>>
>> For every company and individual who puts their time and capital on the
>> line to test a new idea and approach there are thousands of jerkoffs
>> like RichA shitting steaming piles of worthless opinion.

>Seems like I remember a line about one being born every minute...

Rich is just a bitter right-wing bigot who hates everyone.

--
Ray Fischer | None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | Goethe

Inside the Lytro charles Digital Photography 1 03-01-2012 09:06 AM
Lytro Cameras James Silverton Digital Photography 9 02-09-2012 06:21 PM
Amazed at news penetration of that infinite focus camera the Lytro RichA Digital Photography 15 11-03-2011 01:34 PM
Lytro philo Digital Photography 12 11-01-2011 10:07 PM
Lytro Camera Eric Miller Digital Photography 2 08-08-2011 08:46 PM

Advertisments