Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > "Softbox" flash attachment - anybody tried this?

"Softbox" flash attachment - anybody tried this?

tony cooper

On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 11:01:45 -0800, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Wolfgang
>Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> > I might be able to
>> > save a buck or two if I purchased something on eBay from a vendor
>> > shipping from China, but by spending a little more and buying from a
>> > reputable vendor like B&H or Adorama I get the product faster and have
>> > less risk. You may have more need to save a buck or two.

>> Oh, a buck or two saved per buck spend is a good deal.

>as i said, it's often much more than a buck or two but yes, it adds up.
>
>> > Here's how a responsible person describes his experiences:
>> >
>> > http://reviews.ebay.com/The-wisdom-o...ina-Pros-amp-C
>> > ons?ugid=10000000020373358

>> How do you know it's a responsible person? (Too stupid to
>> check where the stuff is coming from?)
>> And why should his experience be worth anything?

>because it's all he could find to contradict me.

No, it was just the first hit I found on the subject. I didn't look
any further.

>> For the record: I have had no problems with China. Fast, cheap,
>> often not available elsewhere.

>same here, although i would say reliable rather than fast. 2-3 weeks is
>not exactly fast, however, it always shows up.
>
>to blindly dismiss all chinese sellers as untrustworthy without ever
>having tried it at best, incredibly stupid. however, i think it's
>pretty obvious what the real reason is.

Stupid? I don't think so. I don't brand all sources in China to be
untrustworthy, but would be very reluctant to purchase anything from
any seller if the same or similar item was available domestically even
if the price was better. So far, I've never been desirous to own
anything available only from a source in China, so I haven't had to
test the water.

I have no objection whatsoever to buying from a Chinese seller. It is
the seller's location, not the seller's nationality or ethnicity, that
would cause me to shy away. You do understand that not all Chinese
people live in China and ship from China? Or, for that matter, that
not all sources that ship from China are Chinese?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Laszlo Lebrun

On 29/02/2012 04:26, tony cooper wrote:

> It doesn't look any better or worse than the plastic diffusers (Gary
> Fong or Sto-Fen) that fit over a flash. The disadvantage is that it
> looks bulkier to carry in the camera bag than a Fong or Sto-Fen. OK
> if you never take it with you.

I have bought someting similar, but it is based un an an inflatable
cushion. That one does not need any space in my bag since I put it
between my lenses which protects them as well.
--
One computer and three operating systems, not the other way round.
One wife and many hotels, not the other way round !

J. Clarke

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, waybackNO784SPAM44
@yahoo.com says...

> http://www.ebay.com/itm/150720657330
>
> So it's a little softbox thingy that you mount on your flash. Just
> seems like it might come in handy to soften things a bit but still
> not throw light everywhere. I just wondered if anyone here had
> tried such a thing and whether it was useful. At $9 delivered, not
> a big risk, I guess.
>
> Actually, I was thinking of using it for backdrop lighting if it
> doesn't cost too many stops.

I doubt you'll find anybody with that specific item so you won't find
anybody knowledgeable about its durability. Other than that it looks
like a basic 8x11" softbox attachment. If you need such a thing the
price is so low that it's not worth cobbling one up yourself and it
should be more durable than one you cobble yourself. It's one of those
things that's so cheap it's worth a try. The big question in my mind is
whether it includes the velcro to secure it to the flash. Some of the
cheap ones don't.

Amazon is selling a similar one under the "fotodiox" brand for $13.95
<http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Softb...ght-Speedlite-
Panasonica/dp/B003Y322RO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1330864987&sr=8-8> with
59 customer reviews.

J. Clarke

In article <jivbto$12f$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> On 29/02/2012 04:26, tony cooper wrote:
>
> > It doesn't look any better or worse than the plastic diffusers (Gary
> > Fong or Sto-Fen) that fit over a flash. The disadvantage is that it
> > looks bulkier to carry in the camera bag than a Fong or Sto-Fen. OK
> > if you never take it with you.
> >

> I have bought someting similar, but it is based un an an inflatable
> cushion. That one does not need any space in my bag since I put it
> between my lenses which protects them as well.

With regard to tony's comment, it's a different device from the plastic
diffusers and serves a different function. The diffuser area is a
plane, so it doesn't emit omnidirectionally, it emits over something
less than 180 degrees with intensity varying with angle and the highest
intensity on-axis. This means that you're not getting reflected light
from whatever is beside or behind the flash. Further it can be aimed in
such a way that it directly illuminates the background but not the
subject, which can't be done with the fong and stofen devices unless a
gobo is used. In addition, the emitting area is extended compared to
the flash to which it is mounted, which can sometimes result in more
pleasing highlights. For the purpose of illuminating a background, if
the geometry is right for a softbox that size and a single strobe can
provide enough light for the particular circumstances it should serve.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> How do you know it's a responsible person? (Too stupid to
> >> check where the stuff is coming from?)
> >> And why should his experience be worth anything?

> >because it's all he could find to contradict me.

> No, it was just the first hit I found on the subject. I didn't look
> any further.

in other words, there's nothing to suggest he's responsible or not. the
first hit on google is rarely the best.

> >> For the record: I have had no problems with China. Fast, cheap,
> >> often not available elsewhere.

> >same here, although i would say reliable rather than fast. 2-3 weeks is
> >not exactly fast, however, it always shows up.
> >
> >to blindly dismiss all chinese sellers as untrustworthy without ever
> >having tried it at best, incredibly stupid. however, i think it's
> >pretty obvious what the real reason is.

> Stupid? I don't think so. I don't brand all sources in China to be
> untrustworthy, but would be very reluctant to purchase anything from
> any seller if the same or similar item was available domestically even
> if the price was better. So far, I've never been desirous to own
> anything available only from a source in China, so I haven't had to
> test the water.

suit yourself. it's your money.

> I have no objection whatsoever to buying from a Chinese seller.

bullshit. you keep coming up with reasons why not to do it.

> It is
> the seller's location, not the seller's nationality or ethnicity, that
> would cause me to shy away. You do understand that not all Chinese
> people live in China and ship from China? Or, for that matter, that
> not all sources that ship from China are Chinese?

any other excuses? hilarious.

tony cooper

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 09:26:30 -0800, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> >because it's all he could find to contradict me.

>> No, it was just the first hit I found on the subject. I didn't look
>> any further.

>in other words, there's nothing to suggest he's responsible or not. the
>first hit on google is rarely the best.

That kinda exposes your limited ability to assess what you don't agree
with. He's responsible in that he presents both advantages and
disadvantages of buying from China, but doesn't exaggerate in either
case. That's a responsible person's review.

>> I have no objection whatsoever to buying from a Chinese seller.

>bullshit. you keep coming up with reasons why not to do it.

Again, limited thinking ability. There is a difference between a
"Chinese seller" and buying from China.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> No, it was just the first hit I found on the subject. I didn't look
> >> any further.

> >in other words, there's nothing to suggest he's responsible or not. the
> >first hit on google is rarely the best.
> >

> That kinda exposes your limited ability to assess what you don't agree
> with. He's responsible in that he presents both advantages and
> disadvantages of buying from China, but doesn't exaggerate in either
> case. That's a responsible person's review.

actually, he did exaggerate but you can't tell by only having looked at
one single post. he also can't figure out from where an item ships.
stupid comes to mind. every single ebay listing says where the seller
is located and if that's not enough, the responsible thing would be to
contact the seller and ask.

> >> I have no objection whatsoever to buying from a Chinese seller.

> >bullshit. you keep coming up with reasons why not to do it.

> Again, limited thinking ability. There is a difference between a
> "Chinese seller" and buying from China.

nobody said otherwise, but given the context, chinese seller means
buying from china. that much is obvious, except to you. maybe it is
actually a bunch of white guys in china, but only you would fixate on
that.

tony cooper

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 22:05:18 -0800, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>actually, he did exaggerate but you can't tell by only having looked at
>one single post. he also can't figure out from where an item ships.
>stupid comes to mind. every single ebay listing says where the seller
>is located and if that's not enough, the responsible thing would be to
>contact the seller and ask.

An eBay listing shows where the *seller* is located based on the
information the seller enters. The seller may have the item
drop-shipped from another location. In fact, if the seller moves, the
original seller location remains the default for future eBay listings
unless the seller changes the information.

So, you really *can't* figure out from where an item will ship.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/local.html

eBay requires that the location from which the item will be shipped
must be accurate. To assume that all sellers follow this policy, or
that no eBay ads contain inaccuracies, false information, misleading
information, or incomplete information would be...well...stupid.

>> >bullshit. you keep coming up with reasons why not to do it.

>> Again, limited thinking ability. There is a difference between a
>> "Chinese seller" and buying from China.

>nobody said otherwise, but given the context, chinese seller means
>buying from china. that much is obvious, except to you. maybe it is
>actually a bunch of white guys in china, but only you would fixate on
>that.

Yes. I "twisted" what you said. You said "Chinese seller" and I
twisted that to mean "Chinese seller" and not "seller in China". It's
just so damn difficult *not* to twist what you actually say into what
you actually say.

--

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >actually, he did exaggerate but you can't tell by only having looked at
> >one single post. he also can't figure out from where an item ships.
> >stupid comes to mind. every single ebay listing says where the seller
> >is located and if that's not enough, the responsible thing would be to
> >contact the seller and ask.

> An eBay listing shows where the *seller* is located based on the
> information the seller enters. The seller may have the item
> drop-shipped from another location.

possibly, but irrelevant. the country is what matters, not that it's
drop-shipped from a different city. otherwise it would drastically
change the shipping fees and transit time.

> In fact, if the seller moves, the
> original seller location remains the default for future eBay listings
> unless the seller changes the information.

how many people move to china and neglect to change their info?

as i said, if there's any doubt, contact the seller. very easy to do.

> So, you really *can't* figure out from where an item will ship.

nonsense. in fact, it's incredibly simple.

> http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/local.html
>
> eBay requires that the location from which the item will be shipped
> must be accurate. To assume that all sellers follow this policy, or
> that no eBay ads contain inaccuracies, false information, misleading
> information, or incomplete information would be...well...stupid.

nothing is perfect, however, the information is generally accurate,
especially about country of origin because of the effect on shipping
fees and transit times for an international shipment.

sellers who lie about stuff or otherwise break the rules don't last
long on ebay (or anywhere else for that matter), sometimes not even
long enough for their listing to complete.

> >> Again, limited thinking ability. There is a difference between a
> >> "Chinese seller" and buying from China.

> >nobody said otherwise, but given the context, chinese seller means
> >buying from china. that much is obvious, except to you. maybe it is
> >actually a bunch of white guys in china, but only you would fixate on
> >that.

> Yes. I "twisted" what you said. You said "Chinese seller" and I
> twisted that to mean "Chinese seller" and not "seller in China". It's
> just so damn difficult *not* to twist what you actually say into what
> you actually say.

you're the only person who would misinterpret it that way, so now all
you can do is nitpick the words. it's standard fare for you.

tony cooper

On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 11:42:17 -0800, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> >actually, he did exaggerate but you can't tell by only having looked at
>> >one single post. he also can't figure out from where an item ships.
>> >stupid comes to mind. every single ebay listing says where the seller
>> >is located and if that's not enough, the responsible thing would be to
>> >contact the seller and ask.

>> An eBay listing shows where the *seller* is located based on the
>> information the seller enters. The seller may have the item
>> drop-shipped from another location.

>possibly, but irrelevant. the country is what matters, not that it's
>drop-shipped from a different city. otherwise it would drastically
>change the shipping fees and transit time.

You don't understand that an item listed by a US person can be
drop-shipped from China?

>> In fact, if the seller moves, the
>> original seller location remains the default for future eBay listings
>> unless the seller changes the information.

>how many people move to china and neglect to change their info?
>
>as i said, if there's any doubt, contact the seller. very easy to do.

Oh, OK. So, in your world, sellers never lie or mislead.

>> So, you really *can't* figure out from where an item will ship.

>nonsense. in fact, it's incredibly simple.
>
>> http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/local.html
>>
>> eBay requires that the location from which the item will be shipped
>> must be accurate. To assume that all sellers follow this policy, or
>> that no eBay ads contain inaccuracies, false information, misleading
>> information, or incomplete information would be...well...stupid.

>nothing is perfect, however, the information is generally accurate,
>especially about country of origin because of the effect on shipping
>fees and transit times for an international shipment.
>
>sellers who lie about stuff or otherwise break the rules don't last
>long on ebay (or anywhere else for that matter), sometimes not even
>long enough for their listing to complete.

Really? They don't continue to list until someone finally files a
complaint? Or don't just add a new seller name and continue to list?

eBay is not the only place where people offer items for sale that
could be drop-shipped from China. There are probably fewer listings
for items made in China on eBay than in other places on the web.

>> >nobody said otherwise, but given the context, chinese seller means
>> >buying from china. that much is obvious, except to you. maybe it is
>> >actually a bunch of white guys in china, but only you would fixate on
>> >that.

>> Yes. I "twisted" what you said. You said "Chinese seller" and I
>> twisted that to mean "Chinese seller" and not "seller in China". It's
>> just so damn difficult *not* to twist what you actually say into what
>> you actually say.

>you're the only person who would misinterpret it that way, so now all
>you can do is nitpick the words. it's standard fare for you.

If so, it's probably because I'm the only person reading your posts.

I'm not at all convinced that you have ever purchased anything from
China, let alone made multiple purchases from China. What type of
items have you allegedly purchased?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida