Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > aspnet_wp.exe could not be started

aspnet_wp.exe could not be started

Nathan

Hi,

I have IIS running on a windows 2000 (SP4) box (not a DC) with the 1.1
version of the framework. The application runs just fine until early
evening each day - then people start to receive Server Unavailable.

Looking into the EventLog:

aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
80070718. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the
..NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation
directory allow access to the configured account.

I haven't been able to find any information on that error code. Rebooting
the machine fixes the problem for another day. All of the account
information for ASPNET is unchanged as is the machine.config - the worker
process is running as "machine".

Does anyone have any ideas what could cause the worker process to be unable
to load at some point after it has been working for most of the day?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

TIA,

Nathan

Paul King

Basically the ASPNET account does not have rights to the webpage you are
calling this from.

Ensure that when you view security settings on the root of your website or
virtual directory that the ASPNET account is listed.

Regards
Paul.

"Nathan gmail.com>" <nratcliff@<REMOVE> wrote in message
news:ew36$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have IIS running on a windows 2000 (SP4) box (not a DC) with the 1.1
> version of the framework. The application runs just fine until early
> evening each day - then people start to receive Server Unavailable.
>
> Looking into the EventLog:
>

> aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
> 80070718. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
> insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that

the
> .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the

installation
> directory allow access to the configured account.
>

> I haven't been able to find any information on that error code. Rebooting
> the machine fixes the problem for another day. All of the account
> information for ASPNET is unchanged as is the machine.config - the worker
> process is running as "machine".
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what could cause the worker process to be

unable
> to load at some point after it has been working for most of the day?
>
> Any suggestion is appreciated.
>
> TIA,
>
> Nathan

Nathan

Paul - Thanks for the reply.

The only issue I have with that suggestion is that the entire project works
for the majority of a business day. It only quits working after the app has
been up for about 8 hours.

My current line of thinking is that perhaps a max number of sessions is
being reached or maybe some memory limit is being hit.

Does that even sound plausible? Would it cause the same error message in
the event log?

Thanks!

Nathan

"Paul King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41517365$0$22746$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Basically the ASPNET account does not have rights to the webpage you are
> calling this from.
>
> Ensure that when you view security settings on the root of your website or
> virtual directory that the ASPNET account is listed.
>
> Regards
> Paul.
>
> "Nathan gmail.com>" <nratcliff@<REMOVE> wrote in message
> news:ew36$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have IIS running on a windows 2000 (SP4) box (not a DC) with the 1.1
>> version of the framework. The application runs just fine until early
>> evening each day - then people start to receive Server Unavailable.
>>
>> Looking into the EventLog:
>>

>> aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
>> 80070718. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
>> insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that

> the
>> .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the

> installation
>> directory allow access to the configured account.
>>

>> I haven't been able to find any information on that error code.
>> Rebooting
>> the machine fixes the problem for another day. All of the account
>> information for ASPNET is unchanged as is the machine.config - the worker
>> process is running as "machine".
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas what could cause the worker process to be

> unable
>> to load at some point after it has been working for most of the day?
>>
>> Any suggestion is appreciated.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Nathan

=?Utf-8?B?RXlhbA==?=

I have both an answer and a question to add to this thread.

I am having the same problem with my application. And I notice that the
ASP.NET application crashes when the aspnet_wp.exe restarts (when the worker
process restarts).

So to answer your question; Yes it's when either memory, process time, or a
session limit has exceeded, that the worker process restarts. Normally
however, the worker process re-cycles and produces a new thread to allow for
new sessions.

My problem is that I have already changed the application anonymous user to
ASPNET for the appropriate permissions. But the worker process still is
having problems restarting.

After un-installing, removing, re-installing the entire .NET library (and
its security patches) AND setting the appropriate permissions to ASPNET user,
I am still getting "aspnet_wp.exe could not be started" errors.

If you have any solution or a fix for this problem, I'd appreciate it if you
can keep me informed. My email is http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Thank you in advance for all your help.

- Eyal
(E-Mail Removed)