Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer scammers.

Computer scammers.

housetrained

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news:jih13n$ngc$(E-Mail Removed)...

How can I get these a-holes to stop?

<snip>

Simple, just say you are very interested and to please hold on a moment.
Just put the phone down and forget it. It soon gets round and the calls will
stop. Junk mail, write across the envelop 'REFUSED' and drop it back in the
post-box, after a few months the JM stops too.
housetrained

Julie Bove

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) net...
> [...]
>>> the call as possible.
>>> d) The call they make after you told them "NO" is also logged and you
>>> tell them in totally unambiguous terms "STOP".
>>> The, go online and file a report; keep a copy of that report. A
>>> month or so you may get a (form) letter which will either be a
>>> blow-off (likely) or something like "well we get a lot of complaints;
>>> do not expect results).
>>> e) If they continue and are very abusive AND if you have enough money
>>> and time then: (A) file complete complaint with COPIES of
>>> documentation to the STATE PUC (your state and that of caller), (B)
>>> when the state blows you off (and they are likely to do so), (C) take
>>> the bastards to court and expect the proceedings to run 5-10 years.
>>>
>>> 2) Call trace is a total rip-off and your telephone service "provider"
>>> will blow you off as mentioned. What is mentioned as "sarcasm" is
>>> actual fact.
>>> a) Here, get an attachment to your phone that will legally record
>>> both sides (it makes regular "beeps" as notice). TELL whomever you
>>> call at the phone company that you are recording the call "for
>>> quality purposes" (that is what every company states).
>>> b) Keep extremely meticulous and detailed records (dot all "eyes" and
>>> cross all "tees").
>>> c) When you catch (say) five obvious LIES and/or failures to perform
>>> to what they say (i call those "lies") make copies and send to state
>>> PUC and the local DA.
>>> d) Press for charges against the company.
>>> e) If you are told to get the police involved, then do so and make
>>> damn sure you get the officer's name and badge number and that he
>>> gets a copy of ALL documentation. They will do something; it is not
>>> clear as to WTF they do,but the result will be zero.
>>> f) Get a FULL copy of the final police report (the report is
>>> mandatory on the part of the police - if you cannot get one you then
>>> need to have a one-on-one talk with (in order, and all of these) the
>>> Chief of Police, the Mayor (yes, sometimes politics is useful) and
>>> the District Attorney concerning Dereliction Of Duty, Breach Of
>>> Trust, Breach of Public Contract and i do not know what the hell else
>>> might be useful. g) Again, when there is zero results after police,
>>> take case to State PUC at minimum.
>>>
>>> It is about time that someone planted such a "bomb" under the asses.

>> I continually get calls from my ISP, phone provider and cable company
>> trying
>> to get me to upgrade. Can't do a thing because I am a customer.
>>

> Not quite true; tell each one to take you off their listS (yes, plural).
> File (yes, in writing) a complaint with the PUC on each and every
> incident - even if that means a letter or two every week (the computer
> becomes an ally - "boilerplate" the common stuff and use the mailmerge
> option to fill in the variables each time).
> Check with the PUC to see what their policy is regarding to that SPAM.

But this isn't SPAM. It's is phone calls trying to sell me new or different
services. And since I am a customer, I think they can legally do this.

Julie Bove

"housetrained" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jilncg$ipt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news:jih13n$ngc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> How can I get these a-holes to stop?
>
> <snip>
>

> Simple, just say you are very interested and to please hold on a moment.
> Just put the phone down and forget it. It soon gets round and the calls
> will stop. Junk mail, write across the envelop 'REFUSED' and drop it back
> in the post-box, after a few months the JM stops too.
> housetrained

Thanks.

Julie Bove

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) net...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "housetrained"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:jilncg$ipt$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news:jih13n$ngc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> How can I get these a-holes to stop?
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>

>>> Simple, just say you are very interested and to please hold on a moment.
>>> Just put the phone down and forget it. It soon gets round and the calls
>>> will stop. Junk mail, write across the envelop 'REFUSED' and drop it
>>> back
>>> in the post-box, after a few months the JM stops too.
>>> housetrained

>> Thanks.
>>

> Those actions may be completely impossible.
> I have had tens of thousands of callers - "robot" callers with either no
> number or no name or both missing - or useless names "EXPECT PAYMENT";
> and absolutely no way to TALK to anyone and no callback number given.
> Either that or the bastards hang up the instant you pick up the phone.
>
> Junk mail? "Refused" absolutely CANNOT work unless it was first class
> mail; the POD will junk anything else as there is no way for them to
> collect postage that would be due if they took the trouble to actually
> return the mail.
> Slightly better: open it up and look for a Business Return envelope; it
> is like a pre-paid envelope (charged to them IF used).
> Stuff as much as possible into that envelope and wrap their cover letter
> around that so your name is easily found; ADD comment like "STOP sending
> anything to me".
> On an ordinary response,i understand that they wind up paying about
> $1.00 (prolly has gone up these past 20 years) and the rate goes up with
> the weight.
> Second time around, add strips of sheet metal but do not exceed 6 ounces
> or the PO will reject it (i think that is the limit).
> That makes their cost rather exorbitant to say the least and definitely
> will get their attention.
> Failing the Business Return envelope, you could send a similar FAT
> envelope to them, BUT make damn sure that your name and / or address is
> not on anything in or on the envelope - otherwise the dead letter
> department will trace you down and charge postage.
> Naturally, the business will not know where this SPAM is coming from, so
> they will have no incentive to stop sending junk to you, but if they see
> too much of this from a given ZIP code they may eventually decrease
> mailings to that zip.

Most of my "junk" mail is coming from companies I have ordered from. So I
don't think I can do a thing about their catalogs. I mostly just recycle
them.

Julie Bove

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) net...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Robert Baer"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) net...

>>> Not quite true; tell each one to take you off their listS (yes,
>>> plural).
>>> File (yes, in writing) a complaint with the PUC on each and every
>>> incident - even if that means a letter or two every week (the computer
>>> becomes an ally - "boilerplate" the common stuff and use the mailmerge
>>> option to fill in the variables each time).
>>> Check with the PUC to see what their policy is regarding to that SPAM.

>> But this isn't SPAM. It's is phone calls trying to sell me new or
>> different
>> services. And since I am a customer, I think they can legally do this.
>>

> What is the definition of "weed"? It is a plant that you do not want and
> may include the attribute of growing or spreading too much.
> So, to one, a rosebush can be a weed.
> SPAM can be _any_ offensive e-mail which certainly can include
> advertisements of all sorts.
> Say Target continually sends e-mail ads on its glassware because once
> you bought one drinking glass (am being silly on purpose but it could
> happen).
> You do not want those ads - in fact,you do not want any ads from them.
> One way or another you tell them to cease and desist.
> They must honor your request.
> By the same token, if Qwest (nasty "providers") did as you mentioned,
> you have the right and privilege to tell them to STOP and they must.
> The phone and lines are provided as a service which you PAY for; you are
> not paying for shill service.
> Now, be advised that they can stuff their billing envelope with a half
> of a flat tree along with the bill and you have very little say to them
> about the loss of the forest.
> Check with the PUC.

I am *not* getting e-mails. These are phone calls.

Julie Bove

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) net...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Robert Baer"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) net...

>>> Those actions may be completely impossible.
>>> I have had tens of thousands of callers - "robot" callers with either
>>> no
>>> number or no name or both missing - or useless names "EXPECT PAYMENT";
>>> and absolutely no way to TALK to anyone and no callback number given.
>>> Either that or the bastards hang up the instant you pick up the
>>> phone.
>>>
>>> Junk mail? "Refused" absolutely CANNOT work unless it was first class
>>> mail; the POD will junk anything else as there is no way for them to
>>> collect postage that would be due if they took the trouble to actually
>>> return the mail.
>>> Slightly better: open it up and look for a Business Return envelope;
>>> it
>>> is like a pre-paid envelope (charged to them IF used).
>>> Stuff as much as possible into that envelope and wrap their cover
>>> letter
>>> around that so your name is easily found; ADD comment like "STOP sending
>>> anything to me".
>>> On an ordinary response,i understand that they wind up paying about
>>> $1.00 (prolly has gone up these past 20 years) and the rate goes up with
>>> the weight.
>>> Second time around, add strips of sheet metal but do not exceed 6
>>> ounces
>>> or the PO will reject it (i think that is the limit).
>>> That makes their cost rather exorbitant to say the least and
>>> definitely
>>> will get their attention.
>>> Failing the Business Return envelope, you could send a similar FAT
>>> envelope to them, BUT make damn sure that your name and / or address is
>>> not on anything in or on the envelope - otherwise the dead letter
>>> department will trace you down and charge postage.
>>> Naturally, the business will not know where this SPAM is coming from,
>>> so
>>> they will have no incentive to stop sending junk to you, but if they see
>>> too much of this from a given ZIP code they may eventually decrease
>>> mailings to that zip.

>> Most of my "junk" mail is coming from companies I have ordered from. So
>> don't think I can do a thing about their catalogs. I mostly just recycle
>> them.
>>

> Well, junk mail can be stopped by write/call/e-mail the company and
> asking to be removed from their list.
> Contact the National Do Not Mail List Get Rid of Junk Mail via
> www.directmail.com/junk_mail/.

But it's not considered junk if you order from them.

osto

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news:jiplc1$i7o$(E-Mail Removed)...

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) net...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Robert Baer"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) net...

>>> Those actions may be completely impossible.
>>> I have had tens of thousands of callers - "robot" callers with either
>>> no
>>> number or no name or both missing - or useless names "EXPECT PAYMENT";
>>> and absolutely no way to TALK to anyone and no callback number given.
>>> Either that or the bastards hang up the instant you pick up the
>>> phone.
>>>
>>> Junk mail? "Refused" absolutely CANNOT work unless it was first class
>>> mail; the POD will junk anything else as there is no way for them to
>>> collect postage that would be due if they took the trouble to actually
>>> return the mail.
>>> Slightly better: open it up and look for a Business Return envelope;
>>> it
>>> is like a pre-paid envelope (charged to them IF used).
>>> Stuff as much as possible into that envelope and wrap their cover
>>> letter
>>> around that so your name is easily found; ADD comment like "STOP sending
>>> anything to me".
>>> On an ordinary response,i understand that they wind up paying about
>>> $1.00 (prolly has gone up these past 20 years) and the rate goes up with
>>> the weight.
>>> Second time around, add strips of sheet metal but do not exceed 6
>>> ounces
>>> or the PO will reject it (i think that is the limit).
>>> That makes their cost rather exorbitant to say the least and
>>> definitely
>>> will get their attention.
>>> Failing the Business Return envelope, you could send a similar FAT
>>> envelope to them, BUT make damn sure that your name and / or address is
>>> not on anything in or on the envelope - otherwise the dead letter
>>> department will trace you down and charge postage.
>>> Naturally, the business will not know where this SPAM is coming from,
>>> so
>>> they will have no incentive to stop sending junk to you, but if they see
>>> too much of this from a given ZIP code they may eventually decrease
>>> mailings to that zip.

>> Most of my "junk" mail is coming from companies I have ordered from. So
>> don't think I can do a thing about their catalogs. I mostly just recycle
>> them.
>>

> Well, junk mail can be stopped by write/call/e-mail the company and
> asking to be removed from their list.
> Contact the National Do Not Mail List – Get Rid of Junk Mail via
> www.directmail.com/junk_mail/.

But it's not considered junk if you order from them.

For unwanted telephone calls, buy a cheap high pitched personal alarm and
trigger it. They rarely call again.

Julie Bove

"osto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vSV5r.15038$(E-Mail Removed)2...

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news:jiplc1$i7o$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> "Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) net...
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> "Robert Baer"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) net...

>>> Most of my "junk" mail is coming from companies I have ordered from. So
>>> don't think I can do a thing about their catalogs. I mostly just
>>> recycle
>>> them.
>>>

>> Well, junk mail can be stopped by write/call/e-mail the company and
>> asking to be removed from their list.
>> Contact the National Do Not Mail List - Get Rid of Junk Mail via
>> www.directmail.com/junk_mail/.

> But it's not considered junk if you order from them.
>

> For unwanted telephone calls, buy a cheap high pitched personal alarm and
> trigger it. They rarely call again.

Thanks!