Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Earth Photography: It's Harder Than It Looks

Earth Photography: It's Harder Than It Looks

me

me

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 15:29:35 -0500, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://blogs.nasa.gov/cm/blog/letter...118334979.html

If you like the photo, you might also enjoy The Gateway to Astronaut
Photography of Earth:

http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/Videos/CrewE...vationsVideos/

RichA

On Feb 27, 3:29*pm, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://blogs.nasa.gov/cm/blog/letter...118334979.html

NASA should be looking out, not down. They've hooked their wagon to
the global warming "cause" to justify their existence after the
discontinuation of the Shuttle program so now they monitor Earth.

PeterN

On 2/27/2012 3:29 PM, me wrote:
> http://blogs.nasa.gov/cm/blog/letter...118334979.html

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

--
Peter

Robert Coe

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 17:11:23 -0500, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On 2012-02-27 15:29 , me wrote:
: > http://blogs.nasa.gov/cm/blog/letter...118334979.html
:
: Cool photo - for the aurora.
:
: Also, easily identifiable is the circular Manicouagan Reservoir -
: created by damming a river for hydro power (about 5000 MW in a series of
: 4 dams). The circle is the eroded remnant of a crater created by a
: meteor impact some 200 M years ago.

What made the circle lower than the surrounding ground? IOW, how did damming
the river ensure that the water would remain in the circle? Did they build an
artificial outer wall?

Bob

Robert Coe

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 06:16:49 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On Feb 27, 3:29*pm, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > http://blogs.nasa.gov/cm/blog/letter...118334979.html
:
: NASA should be looking out, not down. They've hooked their wagon
: to the global warming "cause" to justify their existence after the
: discontinuation of the Shuttle program so now they monitor Earth.

Quite right. What the hell do we care what happens on Earth?

Bob

Robert Coe

: wrote:
:
: >On Feb 27, 3:29*pm, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >> http://blogs.nasa.gov/cm/blog/letter...118334979.html
: >
: >NASA should be looking out, not down. They've hooked their wagon to
: >the global warming "cause" to justify their existence after the
: >discontinuation of the Shuttle program so now they monitor Earth.
:
: Yeah. **** science. Screw all the evidence. We all KNOW that global
: warming is a hoax! It's just a coincidence that the warmest years on
: history have occured since 2000. Besides, science is just a bunch of
: nunmbers. Don't mean nuthin'.
:
: Betcha can't wait to vote for Santorum.

You forget that Rich is a Canadian and therefore won't be voting in any of our
primaries. Actually, it is I, a registered Republican for historical reasons,
who gets to vote for P. Rick Sanitorium. Which I shall do tomorrow (by turning
in my absentee ballot for next Tuesday's election), as I believe him to be the
weakest of the group of clowns in my party vying to run against President
Obama.

(Before someone remarks that I must be too lazy to go and vote, I use an
absentee ballot because I leave for work before the polls open and must stay
for the vote count in the city where I work. The vote count is a major public
occasion, and the city photographer is expected to cover it. One election is
pretty much like another, and I've accumulated quite a library of stock
photos. But it's a good opportunity to experiment with new equipment, etc.)
:^)

Bob

me

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 19:06:17 -0500, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 06:16:49 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Feb 27, 3:29*pm, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> http://blogs.nasa.gov/cm/blog/letter...118334979.html

>>NASA should be looking out, not down. They've hooked their wagon to
>>the global warming "cause" to justify their existence after the
>>discontinuation of the Shuttle program so now they monitor Earth.

>Yeah. **** science. Screw all the evidence. We all KNOW that global
>warming is a hoax! It's just a coincidence that the warmest years on
>history have occured since 2000. Besides, science is just a bunch of
>nunmbers. Don't mean nuthin'.

He's just peeved because he recently found out that an ISS major
material of construction is plastic.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 06:16:49 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>NASA should be looking out, not down. They've hooked their wagon to
>>the global warming "cause" to justify their existence after the
>>discontinuation of the Shuttle program so now they monitor Earth.

> Yeah. **** science. Screw all the evidence. We all KNOW that global
> warming is a hoax! It's just a coincidence that the warmest years on
> history have occured since 2000. Besides, science is just a bunch of
> nunmbers. Don't mean nuthin'.

Yeah, we're just recovering from the small ice age (which ended
the warm period that allowed the bloom of the middle ages) and
we've neither temperature data from the middle ages nor from the
time when Rome ruled the Earth and Romans grew wine in England.

"Warmest years on history" is much like restricting photography
to what mobile phones photographed.

And we're not even going into prehistoric (i.e. before written
records) times or pre-human times, where there were both ice ages
and very warm times which (obviously!) were *not* the result of
human activity. Nor are the worst mass extinction events
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event
human made. (Think something like 99.9x% or worse individual
animals dead --- a full nuclear war wouldn't be as bad.)

Live with it that climate never was constant, is always changing
--- and change is completely natural.

Sure, if you feel it's man-made, go ahead and change something.
Live with *high* oil prices ($2 per litre gasoline is still
low) and buy cars that use fuel sparingly (always a good idea).
Use good isolation on your home and buy only regenerative electric
energy. Change away from incandescent lamps and switch to LED or
flourescent (with *low* and *bound* mercury contents) or similar
power saving lighting. Start walking or cycling more than driving,
especially for distances under 3 miles. Use well isolated fridges.
Lower your room temperature in winter a bit and don't cool to such
a low temperature in summer. Save water. Use the train instead
of the car or plane. Use public mass transport. Travel less.
And so on and so on and so on. Fight for peace (military
uses a lot of energy and non-renewable resources).

Saving energy where there are litte drawbacks is always a
good idea, no matter if there's global warming or cooling.

-Wolfgang

Ray Fischer

Wolfgang Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 06:16:49 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>>NASA should be looking out, not down. They've hooked their wagon to
>>>the global warming "cause" to justify their existence after the
>>>discontinuation of the Shuttle program so now they monitor Earth.

>> Yeah. **** science. Screw all the evidence. We all KNOW that global
>> warming is a hoax! It's just a coincidence that the warmest years on
>> history have occured since 2000. Besides, science is just a bunch of
>> nunmbers. Don't mean nuthin'.

>Yeah, we're just recovering from the small ice age (which ended
>the warm period that allowed the bloom of the middle ages)

If you think that several centuries is "just recovering".

> and
>we've neither temperature data from the middle ages nor from the
>time when Rome ruled the Earth and Romans grew wine in England.

Both those claims are lies.

--
Ray Fischer | None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | Goethe