Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 50D focus

50D focus

Ge Nidee

Is the Canon 50D often victim of front-backfocus with any lens?

eatmorepies

"Ge Nidee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jig6dl$ugb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is the Canon 50D often victim of front-backfocus with any lens?

My 50D can produce well focused images with my L lenses - in the right
conditions. With the 50mm f1.4 it was much poorer and needed -17 on the
micro focus adjust setting. The 5D mkII is spot on with this 50mm lens.

However, having had a new focus rack installed in the 50mm the 50D now
focuses it more accurately.

In general - I found that focus lock was good in bright light so long as the
subject was not moving or moving slowly. At winter rugby matches on dull
days it was rare to get more than 20% or so crisply focussed images - even
with L lenses. It doesn't front or back focus particularly - just poor
focus. Also at ISO 800 it's so noisy that the definition is very poor
anyway.

I'm not sure that the 50D is a step up from the 40D.

I solved the focus problem by throwing money at it and bought a 1D mkIV -
which seems to be able to focus on a speeding bullet - I now rarely use the
50D.

John

Ge Nidee

"eatmorepies" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is the Canon 50D often victim of front-backfocus with any lens?

> My 50D can produce well focused images with my L lenses - in the right
> conditions. With the 50mm f1.4 it was much poorer and needed -17 on the
> micro focus adjust setting. The 5D mkII is spot on with this 50mm lens.
> However, having had a new focus rack installed in the 50mm the 50D now
> focuses it more accurately.
> In general - I found that focus lock was good in bright light so long as
> the subject was not moving or moving slowly. At winter rugby matches on
> dull days it was rare to get more than 20% or so crisply focussed images -
> even with L lenses. It doesn't front or back focus particularly - just
> poor focus. Also at ISO 800 it's so noisy that the definition is very poor
> anyway.
> I'm not sure that the 50D is a step up from the 40D.
> I solved the focus problem by throwing money at it and bought a 1D mkIV -
> which seems to be able to focus on a speeding bullet - I now rarely use
> the 50D.
> John

Thanks very much, John, for the extensive reply. My presumption that my 50D
was never okay with focussing (and more: noise) is getting stronger.
I'm considering selling the 50D en buy the 60D anyway.
Thanks again.

sid

Ge Nidee wrote:

> "eatmorepies" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Is the Canon 50D often victim of front-backfocus with any lens?

>> My 50D can produce well focused images with my L lenses - in the right
>> conditions. With the 50mm f1.4 it was much poorer and needed -17 on the
>> micro focus adjust setting. The 5D mkII is spot on with this 50mm lens.
>> However, having had a new focus rack installed in the 50mm the 50D now
>> focuses it more accurately.
>> In general - I found that focus lock was good in bright light so long as
>> the subject was not moving or moving slowly. At winter rugby matches on
>> dull days it was rare to get more than 20% or so crisply focussed images
>> - even with L lenses. It doesn't front or back focus particularly - just
>> poor focus. Also at ISO 800 it's so noisy that the definition is very
>> poor anyway.
>> I'm not sure that the 50D is a step up from the 40D.
>> I solved the focus problem by throwing money at it and bought a 1D mkIV -
>> which seems to be able to focus on a speeding bullet - I now rarely use
>> the 50D.
>> John

> Thanks very much, John, for the extensive reply. My presumption that my
> 50D was never okay with focussing (and more: noise) is getting stronger.
> I'm considering selling the 50D en buy the 60D anyway.
> Thanks again.

My 50D focuses just fine with the lenses I've got, no L lenses
unfortunately, and for a four year old camera the noise levels are perfectly
acceptable up to ISO 1600, for me anyway. The only time it's not quick
enough every time is close to a dog moving fast towards the camera. I have
no complaints at all filling the frame with fast moving motorcycles even in
not so good light.

You haven't mentioned what lenses you're using or what sort of things you're
having trouble with, if however, you're just looking for an excuse to get a
newer camera, the 50D is rubbish and nothing short of a 7D will make you any
happier.

examples

ISO 1600

http://www.sidshouse.net/IMG_5906--2...--10.16.40.JPG

ISO 400 servo focus

http://www.sidshouse.net/IMG_4496--2...--11.06.16.jpg

--
sid
RLU 300284

Ge Nidee

"sid" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Thanks very much, John, for the extensive reply. My presumption that my
>> 50D was never okay with focussing (and more: noise) is getting stronger.
>> I'm considering selling the 50D en buy the 60D anyway.
>> Thanks again.

> My 50D focuses just fine with the lenses I've got, no L lenses
> unfortunately, and for a four year old camera the noise levels are
> perfectly
> acceptable up to ISO 1600, for me anyway. The only time it's not quick
> enough every time is close to a dog moving fast towards the camera. I have
> no complaints at all filling the frame with fast moving motorcycles even
> in
> not so good light.
> You haven't mentioned what lenses you're using or what sort of things
> you're
> having trouble with, if however, you're just looking for an excuse to get
> newer camera, the 50D is rubbish and nothing short of a 7D will make you
> any
> happier.
> examples

I had two lenses which were sold, a EFS17-85 and a EF70-300 (non L), because
I never got them focussing right, even with AF-micro-adjust. It was always a
mess, never sharp.
I now have the 18-55 kitlens, a Tamron 28-75 (after AF-micro-adjust the
sharpest) and recently a EF70-300L. The EF70-300L is known to be a great
lens, but on my 50D it performes not as a quality-lens like this should.
It's quite possible that my 50D is a misfit. I never said THE 50D is
rubbish, I'm just affraid mine is. And perhaps more.
It's obvious you were lucky with yours.
Heck, I even use a SX210IS and I think it's great for it's class.

> sid

Robert Coe

:
: Thanks very much, John, for the extensive reply. My presumption that my 50D
: was never okay with focussing (and more: noise) is getting stronger.
: I'm considering selling the 50D en buy the 60D anyway.
: Thanks again.

No, NO!! Don't do that! I have a 50D, and I can tell you that it badly needs
its autofocus microadjustment, which the 60D doesn't have. (What was Canon
thinking?)

I recently got a 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and used it on my 50D for one or two
shoots. It didn't need AF microadjustment, but produced inconsistent results:
some of the sharpest pictures I've ever taken and some really crappy ones.
Last weekend I replaced the 50D with a second 7D. I haven't used the new 7D
with the 70-200 yet, but it has made a much better performer out of my old
Sigma 50-150 f/2.8. The 50D's AF is archaic. It's OK for landscapes, but it's
silly to pretend that the 50D is a good event camera by today's standards.
AFAIK, the 60D has the same AF as the 50D. If you need a versatile camera, try
to spring for the 7D.

Bob

Ge Nidee

"Robert Coe" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> : I'm considering selling the 50D en buy the 60D anyway.
> : Thanks again.
> No, NO!! Don't do that! I have a 50D, and I can tell you that it badly
> needs
> its autofocus microadjustment, which the 60D doesn't have. (What was Canon
> thinking?)
> I recently got a 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and used it on my 50D for one or two
> shoots. It didn't need AF microadjustment, but produced inconsistent
> results:
> some of the sharpest pictures I've ever taken and some really crappy ones.
> Last weekend I replaced the 50D with a second 7D. I haven't used the new
> 7D
> with the 70-200 yet, but it has made a much better performer out of my old
> Sigma 50-150 f/2.8. The 50D's AF is archaic. It's OK for landscapes, but
> it's
> silly to pretend that the 50D is a good event camera by today's standards.
> AFAIK, the 60D has the same AF as the 50D. If you need a versatile camera,
> try
> to spring for the 7D.
>
> Bob

Thanks Bob, for your clear view. This weekend I can test my newest lens on a
60D, so we'll see.
A 7D is too much for me and my bankaccount, at least in the near future.
There's talk about Magic Lantern having the AF adjust on the 60D working
soon, that will also be a feature to wait for.

philo

On 02/27/2012 12:28 PM, eatmorepies wrote:
> "Ge Nidee"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jig6dl$ugb$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is the Canon 50D often victim of front-backfocus with any lens?
>>

> My 50D can produce well focused images with my L lenses - in the right
> conditions. With the 50mm f1.4 it was much poorer and needed -17 on the
> micro focus adjust setting. The 5D mkII is spot on with this 50mm lens.
>
> However, having had a new focus rack installed in the 50mm the 50D now
> focuses it more accurately.

I am happy with my 50D but it is not perfect of course.

What is a focus rack? never heard of such a thing

<snip>

eatmorepies

>> My 50D can produce well focused images with my L lenses - in the right
>> conditions. With the 50mm f1.4 it was much poorer and needed -17 on the
>> micro focus adjust setting. The 5D mkII is spot on with this 50mm lens.
>>
>> However, having had a new focus rack installed in the 50mm the 50D now
>> focuses it more accurately.
>>

> I am happy with my 50D but it is not perfect of course.
>
> What is a focus rack? never heard of such a thing

It's what the nice man* in the Canon service centre said was cracked in my
lens. It could be a UK term. I imagine it is a geared ring - based on my
knowledge of rack and pinion steering in cars. Of course, I could be wrong.

John

* He told me it happened quite often in the f1.4 50mm and even happened in
the f1.2 L version - a thin ring of large diameter that's weak - he said.