Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 41 megapixel camera phone?

41 megapixel camera phone?

RichA

Hold that phone steady!!

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/nokia-unv...234253-11.html

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hold that phone steady!!
>http://ibnlive.in.com/news/nokia-unv...234253-11.html

Oh well, that supersedes the Nikon D800(E) before anyone had the
chance to buy one.

RichA

On Feb 27, 7:17*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Hold that phone steady!!
> >http://ibnlive.in.com/news/nokia-unv...l-808-pureview...

> Oh well, that supersedes the Nikon D800(E) before anyone had the
> chance to buy one. *

Poor Nikon I have the feeling that if you did with the Nikon what
they'e done with this phone, you'd end up with "180 megapixels."

Mr. Strat

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hold that phone steady!!
>

> http://ibnlive.in.com/news/nokia-unv...eview-phone/23
> 4253-11.html

It's still just a point-and-shoot.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hold that phone steady!!
>
> http://ibnlive.in.com/news/nokia-unv...eview-phone/23
> 4253-11.html

The whitepaper says it's 41M low-quality pixels that are normally
downsampled to 5M high quality (for a phone) pixels. The phone's
digital zoom feature reduces that downsampling so that the image doesn't
degrade as much digital zoom that upsamples.

The BS is that Nokia provides 41M pix sample images that are very
clearly upsampled by at least 3x3. My guess is that marketing demanded
restoration of the 41M pixels even if it means upsampling the 5M pixels.

Andrew Brydon

On 27/02/2012 17:45, Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article<64c78a3d-9449-4f89-beb9-
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, RichA says...
>> Hold that phone steady!!
>>
>> http://ibnlive.in.com/news/nokia-unv...234253-11.html

> Time to throw away the DSLR and upgrade...

If they throw in a decent lens, maybe... (or not!)
And in this case, I'm talking diameter as much as focal length.

--
Andrew Brydon
Life is just the beta-version of death

DanP

On Monday, 27 February 2012 11:51:50 UTC, RichA wrote:
> Hold that phone steady!!
>
> http://ibnlive.in.com/news/nokia-unv...234253-11.html

I have thought the same, at 41 Mpx the photocells will be so tiny it would keep the ISO at low numbers.

Then I had a look at the samples, they were a healthy 5 Mpx but I had the surprise to see a decent one taken at ISO 800.

That phone uses the Symbian OS, I hope they make one with Android. I'd like to have a phone with that sensor, 41 Mpx is silly but at 5 Mpx works well.

Maybe P&S cameras will be killed off by the mobile phone.

DanP

RichA

On Feb 28, 6:00*am, DanP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Monday, 27 February 2012 11:51:50 UTC, RichA *wrote:
> > Hold that phone steady!!

> >http://ibnlive.in.com/news/nokia-unv...l-808-pureview...

> I have thought the same, at 41 Mpx the photocells will be so tiny it would keep the ISO at low numbers.
>
> Then I had a look at the samples, they were a healthy 5 Mpx but I had thesurprise to see a decent one taken at ISO 800.
>
> That phone uses the Symbian OS, I hope they make one with Android. I'd like to have a phone with that sensor, 41 Mpx is silly but at 5 Mpx works well.
>
> Maybe P&S cameras will be killed off by the mobile phone.
>
> DanP

It's definitely headed that way. In an ironic twist, we see the re-
birth of the P&S "bridge" camera because of it. Nowhere to go with
P&S's except up in quality.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <4f4c6681$0$11953$(E-Mail Removed)>, Kevin McMurtrie
> says...
> > The BS is that Nokia provides 41M pix sample images that are very
> > clearly upsampled by at least 3x3.

> Upsampling from 41 to 5MP? What do you mean?

Their sample images (press release images) are clearly upsampled to 41M
pixels from a much smaller source. Check out the size of the hot pixel
defects - they're huge.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <4f4db1c6$0$12007$(E-Mail Removed)>, Kevin McMurtrie
> says...
> > >
> > > Upsampling from 41 to 5MP? What do you mean?

> > Their sample images (press release images) are clearly upsampled to 41M
> > pixels from a much smaller source. Check out the size of the hot pixel
> > defects - they're huge.

> Perhaps they are using the original 41MP output of the sensor.

Did you check the images?