Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Curious - who uses Dropbox?

Re: Curious - who uses Dropbox?

tony cooper

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:18:50 -0500, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I signed up to Dropbox quite a while ago but removed the App. I was
>using Evernote instead.
>
>But for sharing files (including photos), Dropbox seems more practical
>so I re-installed it and updated my account. Re-installed it on the phone.
>
>Do you use Dropbox?
>
>For what?
>
>(Note, Google's "Drive" will startup soon too ...)

Just downloaded it tonight. Here's a test of some images I took last
night.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2012-...jpg?w=31b585df

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2012-...jpg?w=1dffcb38

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2012-...jpg?w=a8ddf76d
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 20:51:51 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2012-02-25 18:56:59 -0800, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:18:50 -0500, Alan Browne
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I signed up to Dropbox quite a while ago but removed the App. I was
>>> using Evernote instead.
>>>
>>> But for sharing files (including photos), Dropbox seems more practical
>>> so I re-installed it and updated my account. Re-installed it on the phone.
>>>
>>> Do you use Dropbox?
>>>
>>> For what?
>>>
>>> (Note, Google's "Drive" will startup soon too ...)

>> Just downloaded it tonight. Here's a test of some images I took last
>> night.
>>
>> https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2012-...jpg?w=31b585df
>>
>> https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2012-...jpg?w=1dffcb38
>>
>> https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2012-...jpg?w=a8ddf76d

>You need to check what you are doing when you get the file url, the
>three you posted are not public share url's.

What does that mean? Were you not able to open the links? What's the
difference between a public and whatever the other is?

>You need to right click on the file and then select "Copy Public link"
>from the DB submenu, and paste it into your response, like so.
>< http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Shar...C1029_ADBW.jpg >

Your link comes up as a 404.

As far as my view on Dropbox, I only see one advantage: the size of
the image as viewed by the file opener.

Compared to, say, Photobucket, it's no easier to upload. Photobucket
does auto re-size to their max and Dropbox allows a larger image.
The ease of uploading, speed, etc all seems the same. I like
Photobucket's interface because I can see a thumbnail of the image
itself and not just the image name. To see the image in Dropbox, I
have to go up to My Documents and open the folder.

What am I missing about Dropbox that makes it any better than any
other free source?

While I use Photobucket sometimes, I normally use my SmugMug host. I
do pay for that...$40 a year.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 23:00:02 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2012-02-25 22:09:52 -0800, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 20:51:51 -0800, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> You need to check what you are doing when you get the file url, the
>>> three you posted are not public share url's.

>> What does that mean? Were you not able to open the links? What's the
>> difference between a public and whatever the other is?

>No! I was not able to open the links. I got a 403 error for each of them.
>>

>>> You need to right click on the file and then select "Copy Public link"
>>> from the DB submenu, and paste it into your response, like so.
>>> < http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Shar...C1029_ADBW.jpg >

OK...let's try again. See if these can be opened. Especially the
third one because I just re-pasted the second and changed the 02 to
03.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-02-25-01.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-02-25-02.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-02-25-03.jpg

>> Your link comes up as a 404.

>I know, I goofed so I posted this good one in my next post.

Yeah, well, doing things the first time doesn't always work right. As
with my effort.

>> As far as my view on Dropbox, I only see one advantage: the size of
>> the image as viewed by the file opener.
>>
>> Compared to, say, Photobucket, it's no easier to upload. Photobucket
>> does auto re-size to their max and Dropbox allows a larger image.
>> The ease of uploading, speed, etc all seems the same. I like
>> Photobucket's interface because I can see a thumbnail of the image
>> itself and not just the image name. To see the image in Dropbox, I
>> have to go up to My Documents and open the folder.
>>
>> What am I missing about Dropbox that makes it any better than any
>> other free source?

>Nothing.

There is an advantage, maybe, in being able to coordinate files from
more than one computer, but I don't follow that since I use just one.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 05:56:10 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2012-02-26 05:24:42 -0800, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

>> OK...let's try again. See if these can be opened. Especially the
>> third one because I just re-pasted the second and changed the 02 to
>> 03.
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-02-25-01.jpg
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-02-25-02.jpg
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-02-25-03.jpg

>All three worked just fine.

>>> Nothing.

>> There is an advantage, maybe, in being able to coordinate files from
>> more than one computer, but I don't follow that since I use just one.

>Sharing and/or coordinating specific files between several computers is
>one purpose. Usually a desktop at work and/or at home, a laptop, and
>for those who use them, tablets & smart phones.
>
>When on the road, it can be a way of backing up some, or all your image
>files even if you are guest using a computer you might have access to.
>By the same token, you would also have access to any files you have
>maintained in your Dropbox folder.

I'm trying to figure that point out. I have to move (by copying) my
files to the dropbox folder to have access to them from another
computer, right? Don't I have the same access to my files in my
SmugMug account or my Photobucket account? If I have to move files to
a folder and they are uploaded from that folder, then it's the same
thing as uploading to any photo host with access by name/password.
It's not like I have remote access to all computer files (which is
possible) and files that have not been uploaded.

>It is just another tool to be used in which ever way suits your
>purposes. For you it might be a solution for a problem which does not
>exist, but I am sure that in time you will find a need which could be
>met by one of these 'cloud" services.

I'm interested in a "better" system, but sometimes have trouble seeing
something as any better than what I'm doing now.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

nospam

In article <201202261407399530-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck

> >> Have I misunderstood something - aren't these drives around the same
> >> price or more than a laptop?

> > which laptop fits in your pants pocket?

> The Colorspace UDMA might be a bit chunky for pants pockets. Perhaps OK
> for a cargo pocket on good cargo pants, but still quite a lump.
> I have a multi-pocket Columbia vest which serves my purposes for
> appropriate sized pockets, and is very much a "grab and go" piece of
> auxiliary clothing. That is one of the pockets I would use if I needed
> to carry it in other than my bag.

based on the specs, 5.25" x 2.95" x 1", it should fit in most pants
pockets. it's just long, so it might peek out a bit.

Pete A

On 2012-02-26 21:59:57 +0000, Savageduck said:

> On 2012-02-26 13:26:17 -0800, Pete A said:

>>> Another reason my primary "on the road" back up is my Hyperdrive
>>> Colorspace UDMA. Quick and simple. It does incremental back ups making
>>> it efficient and fast. Best of all, a computer does not have to be
>>> involved.
>>> < http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-...-UDMA-s/64.htm >

>> Have I misunderstood something - aren't these drives around the same
>> price or more than a laptop?

> It is not there as a laptop replacement.
>
> I have a 250GB Colorspace UDMA which cost me $300 in 2009. It serves
> its purpose as I can drop it in my bag, or a vest pocket and not be
> burdened with a laptop for initial backups. Those I will make make at
> the hotel, lodge, camp, car or home. I can upgrade the drive upward
> from 250GB myself if the need ever arose. Power usage is miserly and I
> am assured of being able to make at least one backup at even the most
> remote of sites.
>
> There again I have all sorts of stuff which appeal to me and I seem to
> find a use for, when others scratch their heads.

D'oh! I'd totally lost the plot.

just curious Mike Roberts Wireless Networking 0 11-28-2005 04:31 AM
Curious article for Linksys router wrt54GS Frank Wireless Networking 0 07-03-2005 05:04 PM
just curious whitzombi Firefox 2 11-09-2004 03:37 AM
Curious Ed Mullen Firefox 34 03-02-2004 11:34 PM
A curious behaviour with an URL on the W3C Griffure Firefox 0 08-11-2003 11:46 AM

Advertisments