Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Help wanted with voip setup

Help wanted with voip setup

John

I will shortly be buying an ATA for use with my voip number.

At present my desktop pc is on a 15m ethernet cable from the room
where the router is.

Can I attach another router to the pc end of the ethernet cable and
plug a short ethernet cable from the pc into it as well as the ata?

Any help appreciated

Bob Eager

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 22:22:34 +0000, John wrote:

> I will shortly be buying an ATA for use with my voip number.
>
> At present my desktop pc is on a 15m ethernet cable from the room where
> the router is.
>
> Can I attach another router to the pc end of the ethernet cable and plug
> a short ethernet cable from the pc into it as well as the ata?
>
> Any help appreciated

Yes.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Owain

On Feb 25, 10:22*pm, John wrote:
> I will shortly be buying an ATA for use with my voip number.
>
> At present my desktop pc is on a 15m ethernet cable from the room
> where the router is.
>
> Can I attach another router to the pc end of the ethernet cable and
> plug a short ethernet cable from the pc into it as well as the ata?

You'd use a switch/hub rather than a router

Owain

Graham.

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 22:22:34 +0000, John <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I will shortly be buying an ATA for use with my voip number.
>
>At present my desktop pc is on a 15m ethernet cable from the room
>where the router is.
>
>Can I attach another router to the pc end of the ethernet cable and
>plug a short ethernet cable from the pc into it as well as the ata?
>
>Any help appreciated

Yes you can.

You will be using the router as a network switch only.

When you boot up your computer, there is a 50:50 chance that
it will obtain its IP address and gateway information from the wrong
router and will consequently have no Internet access. The same thing
applies to the ATA.

To prevent this you should access the con figs of the additional ATA
and disable its DHCP server.

Alternatively you can give your computer, ATA, and any other client
devices a static IP address.

Another thing to consider is if you connect a DECT base to the ATA it
can stay in the room with the router, and the phone could still live
by the computer on a second charger.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

John

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 00:55:29 +0000, Graham. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 22:22:34 +0000, John <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>I will shortly be buying an ATA for use with my voip number.
>>
>>At present my desktop pc is on a 15m ethernet cable from the room
>>where the router is.
>>
>>Can I attach another router to the pc end of the ethernet cable and
>>plug a short ethernet cable from the pc into it as well as the ata?
>>
>>Any help appreciated

>Yes you can.
>
>You will be using the router as a network switch only.
>
>When you boot up your computer, there is a 50:50 chance that
>it will obtain its IP address and gateway information from the wrong
>router and will consequently have no Internet access. The same thing
>applies to the ATA.
>
>To prevent this you should access the con figs of the additional ATA
>and disable its DHCP server.
>
>Alternatively you can give your computer, ATA, and any other client
>devices a static IP address.
>
>Another thing to consider is if you connect a DECT base to the ATA it
>can stay in the room with the router, and the phone could still live
>by the computer on a second charger.

Thanks Graham, and everyone else who replied.

I like the dect idea as well.

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I will shortly be buying an ATA for use with my voip number.
>
>At present my desktop pc is on a 15m ethernet cable from the room
>where the router is.
>
>Can I attach another router to the pc end of the ethernet cable and
>plug a short ethernet cable from the pc into it as well as the ata?
>
>Any help appreciated

You want a switch not a router. e.g. a 4 or 5 port unit which should
cost you £15 or so.

However, rather than an ATA, you could buy a gigaset DECT unit. The
base is separate from the handset(s), so you can locate the base next
to your router and plug the base into both your router and your incoming
(BT) phone line. Then the one handset can answer either landline
or VoIP calls, and place outgoing calls via either. They can handle
6 VoIP accounts too, and some models have built-in answering machines.
The handsets can be programmed to use any account by default too, and
only ring on come (or all) incoming calls.

Another option (not one I recomend unless you're really OK with the
wiring) is to remove the front plate of your BT master socket, move it
to a new NTE5 base, then connect the ATA to the incoming BT line as well
as the Ethernet connection to the router - connect this to the new NTE5
base, then all your existing house phones are then connected to the ATA
which (presumably) will have commands to select either the BT line or
the VoIP line, and hopefully present a different ringing cadience to
the phones to let you know which line is being called. It's a bit fiddly
but might be worth it if you have an investment in existing phones and
phone wiring in your house... (And you have an ATA with an FXO port)

Gordon

Steve Slatcher

On 25/02/2012 22:22, John wrote:
> I will shortly be buying an ATA for use with my voip number.
>
> At present my desktop pc is on a 15m ethernet cable from the room
> where the router is.
>
> Can I attach another router to the pc end of the ethernet cable and
> plug a short ethernet cable from the pc into it as well as the ata?
>
> Any help appreciated

If your goal is to have the ATA by your PC for whatever reason, you
could get an ATA that also works as a router.

For example, I have an SPA2012. You can plug the PC end of your long
ethernet cable into that, and connect your PC to the ATA - no extra
router or switch required. That particular model will only allow
7.5Mbit through to your computer (which may or may not be an issue for
you), but will have the advantage that voice will take priority over
other traffic from your PC, and with no additional router configuration.

--
www.winenous.co.uk

John

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 10:30:55 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I will shortly be buying an ATA for use with my voip number.
>>
>>At present my desktop pc is on a 15m ethernet cable from the room
>>where the router is.
>>
>>Can I attach another router to the pc end of the ethernet cable and
>>plug a short ethernet cable from the pc into it as well as the ata?
>>
>>Any help appreciated

>You want a switch not a router. e.g. a 4 or 5 port unit which should
>cost you £15 or so.
>
>However, rather than an ATA, you could buy a gigaset DECT unit. The
>base is separate from the handset(s), so you can locate the base next
>to your router and plug the base into both your router and your incoming
>(BT) phone line. Then the one handset can answer either landline
>or VoIP calls, and place outgoing calls via either. They can handle
>6 VoIP accounts too, and some models have built-in answering machines.
>The handsets can be programmed to use any account by default too, and
>only ring on come (or all) incoming calls.

I like the look of this. Many thanks for the info.