Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Too bad sensor pixel's can't be smaller

Too bad sensor pixel's can't be smaller

RichA

Researchers found that when blocking small (60nm) holes in a metalized
glass plate with gold caps, much more light actually went through the
holes than when they were uncapped. But, since camera sensor wells
aren't at the nano-level in-terms of size, it's unlikely this same
trick would work with them.
Feb issues of Photonics/Spectra

Joe Kotroczo

On 25/02/2012 17:41, RichA wrote:
> Researchers found that when blocking small (60nm) holes in a metalized
> glass plate with gold caps, much more light actually went through the
> holes than when they were uncapped. But, since camera sensor wells
> aren't at the nano-level in-terms of size, it's unlikely this same
> trick would work with them.
> Feb issues of Photonics/Spectra

60 nanometer is well below the visible spectrum, so what would be the point?

--
Illegitimi non carborundum

DanP

On Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:56:50 PM UTC, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2012-02-25 12:41 , RichA wrote:
> > Researchers found that when blocking small (60nm) holes in a metalized
> > glass plate with gold caps, much more light actually went through the
> > holes than when they were uncapped. But, since camera sensor wells
> > aren't at the nano-level in-terms of size, it's unlikely this same
> > trick would work with them.

> OTOH, there may one day be similar effects with other materials and
> other wavelengths that could benefit photography.
>
> --
> "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
> I said I didn't know."
> -Samuel Clemens.

On Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:56:50 PM UTC, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2012-02-25 12:41 , RichA wrote:
> > Researchers found that when blocking small (60nm) holes in a metalized
> > glass plate with gold caps, much more light actually went through the
> > holes than when they were uncapped. But, since camera sensor wells
> > aren't at the nano-level in-terms of size, it's unlikely this same
> > trick would work with them.

> OTOH, there may one day be similar effects with other materials and
> other wavelengths that could benefit photography.
>
> --
> "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
> I said I didn't know."
> -Samuel Clemens.

I bet the way this thing works is it bends the light therefore the area next to the sensor gets less light. Some kind of diffraction.

So it works for one cell but not for an array

DanP

DanP

On Sunday, February 26, 2012 2:37:36 AM UTC, Rich wrote:
> DanP wrote in

> >> OTOH, there may one day be similar effects with other materials and
> >> other wavelengths that could benefit photography.
> >>
> >> --
> >> "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
> >> I said I didn't know."
> >> -Samuel Clemens.

> >> OTOH, there may one day be similar effects with other materials and
> >> other wavelengths that could benefit photography.
> >>
> >> --
> >> "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
> >> I said I didn't know."
> >> -Samuel Clemens.

> > I bet the way this thing works is it bends the light therefore the
> > area next to the sensor gets less light. Some kind of diffraction.
> >
> > So it works for one cell but not for an array
> >

> > DanP
> >

> Not sure what the path of the photons is, but they did it with a small
> array.

If the array has no gaps between cells then it might be useful for capturing images.