Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New Canon full frame DSLR to be announced February 28, 2012

New Canon full frame DSLR to be announced February 28, 2012

RichA

On Feb 25, 10:57*am, "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Doug McDonald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:jiasi1$2lu$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > But they offer a very large number of still photos per second.
> > This would seem mighty important for press photogs.

> Even more important: AF that actually works, works reliably, and is
> blindingly fast.

Well contrast focus has a lock on the first two, and phase focus has a
diminishing hold on #3.

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Feb 25, 9:32*pm, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Eric Stevens
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > I remember being told about 16 years ago that Tokina had several staff
>> > ex Nikon and that they did a lot of deveopment and prototype work for
>> > Nikon. I don't know how true this was then but maybe there is still a
>> > connection.

>> tokina was started by ex-nikon people.

>Explains why it produces the best of the three aftermarket companies.

I'm not sure that Tokina has much of a lead over Tamron, especially
since Hoya, owners of Tokina, has tightened its control over the
company and limited new investment.

Tamron makes huge numbers of lenses under contract to the camera
manufacturers, Tokina comparatively few and Sigma fewer still. To
that extent, Tamron is almost another OEM manufacturer whereas Tokina
and especially Sigma are basically third party lens manufacturers.

I was hopeful that when Pentax was taken over by Hoya the golden days
were about to return. I greatly valued the Pentax lenses I used to
own, and I also valued various Tokina lenses I have had over the
years. So surely this was a marriage made in heaven?

Well, it wasn't. Rather than Tokina working with Pentax to make a new
range of outstanding optics, nothing much happened. Both companies
were starved of investment. As a result, each is left with a range of
mediocre lenses with only a few decent designs among them.

At least Pentax has some hope under its new ownership. Tokina is
stuck with Hoya and that does not bode well.

Bruce

Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 21:09:28 +0000, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>:
>: >On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:00:51 +0000, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: >: Will Robert Coe's prayers be answered? The rumours all suggest the
>: >: new DSLR will be a replacement for the Canon EOS 5D Mark II, but after
>: >: that they diverge.
>: >:
>: >: There is no agreement on the pixel count. Some suggest 'only' 22 MP,
>: >: which would disappoint many. There have been wild suggestions of as
>: >: many as 45 MP. Canon has previously tested some 34.5 MP sensors in
>: >: the field, but who knows?
>: >:
>: >: We only have four days to wait.
>: >
>: >Funny you should mention me.
>:
>:
>: You shouldn't be surprised, Bob. We have discussed the 5D II
>: replacement several times and I kept telling you it was imminent.
>
>No, I believed you. I meant funny that you mentioned me just as I was pulling
>the plug on my FF ambitions.

Don't blame me if you suffer buyer's remorse, that's all.

>From reading dozens of reviews of that lens and of the old 24-70 f/2.8, I
>found that many had difficulty choosing between the two. I might have bought
>the 24-70 to get the extra stop, but its design struck me as kludgier than
>that of the 24-105. (Its detractors sneered at the fact that its detachable
>hood has to be oddly positioned in order not to cause vignetting at the
>telephoto(!) end.) Also, I liked the longer reach of the 24-105; and since I
>expect to use it mostly as an outdoor walker, the fact that it's a stop slower
>shouldn't matter much.

It's a better lens than the 24-70mm at the 24mm end, that's for sure.

>: I recall when you bought the 7D and I also recall the strong
>: encouragement I gave you to do so.
>
>You did, and that's one reason I bought the first 7D. I've been very happy
>with it.
>
>: It was the right decision then and
>: it is the right decision now. The 7D is a fine camera that includes
>: among its strengths areas where the 5D II is weak. I think I may have
>: said at the time that it may be all the camera you ever need; if I
>: didn't, I meant to.
>
>Well, ever is a long time (though a little less long when you're as old as I
>am), so I can't swear I'll never consider FF again. But for what I need now,
>the second 7D does look like a match. :^)

I have always been impressed by the 7D. It is a more serious camera
than the 5D and the 5D II. It will be interesting to see what Canon
announces in the next few days, but nothing they say or do will make
the 7D any less good than it is now.

Enjoy.

Bruce

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>I used to frequent a restaurant that had a stir-fry dish that was so
>>>strong (not hot-spicy, just strong flavoured) they had a warning in
>>>the menu. I figure 50% of the people who ordered it sent it back.

>> I don't know whether this is true in Canada, but much of the ethnic
>> food sold in the UK has had its recipe modified to suit local tastes.
>> In most cases this has meant that the food is bland compared with the
>> authentic recipe.

>People who aren't from the culture in question tend to gravitate to
>modified foods or one or two specific items they can tolerate, like
>Butter Chicken in Indian food. I had a friend who wasn't used to
>authentic food, Chinese to be exact. So we went to Chinatown and I
>ordered steamed chicken. They served it with the head on, which freaked
>out the friend. So, when he came out of his house the next day (it was
>winter) he found the head of the chicken frozen to his car antenna!

Nice.

I hate eating meat that clearly resembles the animal it came from. I
was a vegetarian for a few years but decided I couldn't live the rest
of my life without meat. However, I am now even more sensitive than
before about eating things like chicken wings and especially fish with
the head still on. I particularly enjoy escovitch fish (pan fried)
but I have to insist that the heads and tails are cut off first.
Seafood is difficult too - if I have to shell prawns or crayfish it
completely spoils my enjoyment of the meal.

So I have some sympathy for your (presumably ex-)friend.

Nick Fotis

Since 28th February came and went, should we suppose that Canon will
present the successor to the 5D MkII in Fotokina?

N.F.

Doug McDonald

On 2/29/2012 7:50 AM, Nick Fotis wrote:
> Since 28th February came and went, should we suppose that Canon will present the successor to the 5D
> MkII in Fotokina?
>
> N.F.

The new rumored announcement date is March 2.

Nick Fotis

On 29/02/2012 18:58, Doug McDonald wrote:
> On 2/29/2012 7:50 AM, Nick Fotis wrote:
>> Since 28th February came and went, should we suppose that Canon will
>> present the successor to the 5D
>> MkII in Fotokina?
>>
>> N.F.

> The new rumored announcement date is March 2.

Indeed:
http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home...S_5D_Mark_III/

N.F.