Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > generate Windows exe on Linux

generate Windows exe on Linux

Waldek M.

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 18:42:11 +0100, Jérôme wrote:
>>> Has anyone had success generating exe's from within Linux?

>> That doesn't seem to have anything to do with Python,
>> but you might want to google for cross-compiling.

> I think his question is totally python related.
>
> As I understand it, Richard creates executables from python scripts using a
> tool, such as py2exe [1], that requires windows. He would like to have an
> equivalent tool that runs on linux, to avoid going through the trouble of
> having to run a windows installation.

Ah, that's the part I was missing
Thanks.

Waldek

Albert van der Horst

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Gelonida N <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 02/22/2012 07:05 PM, Alec Taylor wrote:
>> http://www.pyinstaller.org/
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://cx-freeze.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> You can also run py2exe in WINE
>>

>You want to say, that I could install python 2.6
>some packages like win32api
>PyQt and tand py2exe under Wine and then compile it.
>

>Did you try this?
>
>I didn't even think about trying this out,
>but I know very little about the limits of Wine, so perhaps I
>underestimate it.

As a case in point I have this example of another language:
colorforth.
It was made by a genius inventor (Chuck Moore), and only runs from a
boot-floppy and writes pixels to the screen.
Someone made an environment in MS-Windows to emulate the
booting process and all. This actually runs colorforth.

Now about Wine, how good is it? Actually it is good enough to
run the above emulator!
(We run a third emulator, of the GA144, on top at a decent speed.)

Groetjes Albert