Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Going Native 2012

Going Native 2012

Lynn McGuire

Going Native 2012:
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Goin...ingNative-2012

Microsoft had a conference about writing C++ code.
Who knew ? I thought that they were all about C#
nowadays.

Bjarne Stroustrup gave a speech on C++ 11.

Lynn

Stefan Ram

Lynn McGuire <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Microsoft had a conference about writing C++ code.
>Who knew ? I thought that they were all about C#
>nowadays.

There are at least the following »strains« of development on
Windows:

- native (C, C++, assembler, ...)
- native scripting (VBS, VBA, Perl, ...)
- dotnet (C#, VB, ...)
- JVM (Java, Scala, ...)
- legacy (VB6, Delphi, BASIC, ...)
- WinRT (Windows 8, HTML+JavaScript+CSS)

But look what Microsoft uses to develop the software they
sell themselves, like Windows and Office: It seems to me
that they mainly use native languages. (Although, the
Windows 7 UI seems to use some XML styling language).

Years ago, it looked as if dotnet was to become the successor
of native development. Some companies invested to convert
projects to dotnet or to train programmers for dotnet. Now,
the C# developers are irritated from two sides: 1st "going
native", 2nd "going Windows 8".

Dombo

Op 20-Feb-12 23:39, Stefan Ram schreef:
> Lynn McGuire<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Microsoft had a conference about writing C++ code.
>> Who knew ? I thought that they were all about C#
>> nowadays.

> There are at least the following »strains« of development on
> Windows:
>
> - native (C, C++, assembler, ...)
> - native scripting (VBS, VBA, Perl, ...)
> - dotnet (C#, VB, ...)
> - JVM (Java, Scala, ...)
> - legacy (VB6, Delphi, BASIC, ...)
> - WinRT (Windows 8, HTML+JavaScript+CSS)
>
> But look what Microsoft uses to develop the software they
> sell themselves, like Windows and Office: It seems to me
> that they mainly use native languages. (Although, the
> Windows 7 UI seems to use some XML styling language).
>
> Years ago, it looked as if dotnet was to become the successor
> of native development. Some companies invested to convert
> projects to dotnet or to train programmers for dotnet. Now,
> the C# developers are irritated from two sides: 1st "going
> native", 2nd "going Windows 8".

Yet on the Microsoft Techdays I visited last week, C++ did not exactly
get much attention. The HTML+JavaScript thingy seems to be only the lure
webpage designers into developing applications for Metro.

I figure that Microsoft itself doesn't know where it wants to go today.
Big company, many departments, no vision.