Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Ide to ahci or vice versa

Ide to ahci or vice versa

blero_

> So here we go..After trying to figure out how to get it to use the last Intel
> driver for the storage controllers of which I have two different on this
> board. One is Intel and the other is Marvel.It still shows as a 5.9 so just
> for the heck of it I tried swapping back to IDE and lo and behold it still
> shows a 5.9 when it always showed a 7.2 before

Your motherboard uses Intel® 82801GR/GH I/O controller hub (ICH7R/DH).

So the AHCI drivers you need to install are here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...&DwnldId=20624

After installation, the AHCI driver in the Device Manager should show
10.8.0.1003.

Drew

Ok something go screwy here..Finally got around to installing my new
120gig ssd from Intel. Then I cloned my c: drive and copied to the new
(k drive. when I went into the bios and changed the boot order should
I not be able to boot to it? When I tried I had a black screen. Had the
windows log on sound but no screen. Any ideas? Oh yeah got the intel
drivers for my controller installed but still showing a 5.9. not sure why.

On 2/25/2012 9:33 AM, blero_ wrote:
>> So here we go..After trying to figure out how to get it to use the
>> last Intel driver for the storage controllers of which I have two
>> different on this board. One is Intel and the other is Marvel.It still
>> shows as a 5.9 so just for the heck of it I tried swapping back to IDE
>> and lo and behold it still shows a 5.9 when it always showed a 7.2 before

> Your motherboard uses Intel® 82801GR/GH I/O controller hub (ICH7R/DH).
>
> So the AHCI drivers you need to install are here:
> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...&DwnldId=20624
>

> After installation, the AHCI driver in the Device Manager should show
> 10.8.0.1003.

blero_

> Ok something go screwy here..Finally got around to installing my new 120gig
> ssd from Intel. Then I cloned my c: drive and copied to the new (k drive.

How did you do it ?
You can't just copy the system disk, you have to use cloning software
for Windows 7, such as XXCLONE (there is a free version):
http://www.xxclone.com

> Oh yeah got the intel drivers for my controller
> installed but still showing a 5.9. not sure why.

Do you have "AHCI" selected in the BIOS, and a controller named
"Intel(R) ICH7R SATA AHCI Controller" or something like that, in the
Device Manager ?
If yes, what version of this controller driver can you read in the
"Driver" tab of its Properties ?
It should be 10.8.0.1003, now that you've installed the last one.

Drew

First off I was using Intel migration software powered by Acronis for
the cloning. Secondly I do have the latest drivers listed showing
exactly what you have written and yet still showing the same 5.9 on the
WEI however 7.2 on IDE

On 2/25/2012 1:38 PM, blero_ wrote:
>> Ok something go screwy here..Finally got around to installing my new
>> 120gig ssd from Intel. Then I cloned my c: drive and copied to the new
>> (k drive.

> How did you do it ?
> You can't just copy the system disk, you have to use cloning software
> for Windows 7, such as XXCLONE (there is a free version):
> http://www.xxclone.com
>
>> Oh yeah got the intel drivers for my controller installed but still
>> showing a 5.9. not sure why.

> Do you have "AHCI" selected in the BIOS, and a controller named
> "Intel(R) ICH7R SATA AHCI Controller" or something like that, in the
> Device Manager ?
> If yes, what version of this controller driver can you read in the
> "Driver" tab of its Properties ?
> It should be 10.8.0.1003, now that you've installed the last one.

Dominic Payer

Immediately after cloning you must shut down the system and disconnect
the source drive.

If you boot with both original and cloned drives connected Windows will
see two primary boot disks with identical signatures and decide for
itself, without asking, which it will treat as the primary boot disk.
The choice it makes is irrevocable.

The original disk can be reconnected once the cloned disk has booted.

On 25/02/2012 21:04, Drew wrote:
> Ok something go screwy here..Finally got around to installing my new
> 120gig ssd from Intel. Then I cloned my c: drive and copied to the new
> (k drive. when I went into the bios and changed the boot order should
> I not be able to boot to it? When I tried I had a black screen. Had the
> windows log on sound but no screen. Any ideas? Oh yeah got the intel
> drivers for my controller installed but still showing a 5.9. not sure why.

Drew

Got it going this morning Dominic. Thanks as always for your help. I am
curious though and I guess I could just try it as originally I
downloaded a script from Paulsxp.com and ran it so I could swap from IDE
to AHCI without hosing the system.I then rebooted and changed the bios
settings to show ahci. Now since I reverted back to IDE when I cloned my
drive (due to frustration over details) My question is now that I am
running off the new ssd which is a exact clone then I should be able to
swap back to ahci without any problems. Thoughts?

On 2/26/2012 8:55 AM, Dominic Payer wrote:
> Immediately after cloning you must shut down the system and disconnect
> the source drive.
>
> If you boot with both original and cloned drives connected Windows will
> see two primary boot disks with identical signatures and decide for
> itself, without asking, which it will treat as the primary boot disk.
> The choice it makes is irrevocable.
>
> The original disk can be reconnected once the cloned disk has booted.
>

> On 25/02/2012 21:04, Drew wrote:
>> Ok something go screwy here..Finally got around to installing my new
>> 120gig ssd from Intel. Then I cloned my c: drive and copied to the new
>> (k drive. when I went into the bios and changed the boot order should
>> I not be able to boot to it? When I tried I had a black screen. Had the
>> windows log on sound but no screen. Any ideas? Oh yeah got the intel
>> drivers for my controller installed but still showing a 5.9. not sure
>> why.

Dominic Payer

SATA drivers for both Legacy IDE and AHCI are installed so there should
be no problem switching the BIOS SATA setting between IDE and AHCI. You
may need a couple of reboots as the drives are redetected under the new
setting.

ide to ahci Drew Windows 64bit 19 01-08-2012 05:22 PM
SSD Benchmark Tests: SATA IDE vs AHCI Mode Ian Front Page News 0 04-16-2010 09:09 AM
AHCI SATA mode - From Native IDE Mode - Workaround LDJ Windows 64bit 3 12-17-2008 11:59 PM
Howto display an ASP.net datagrid rows as columns and vice versa? Jimmy ASP .Net 1 06-14-2005 03:30 PM
Table --> bean or vice versa? GaryM Java 1 01-08-2004 05:08 PM

Advertisments