Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Problem editing old Nikon Coolpix L3 MOV movie files

Problem editing old Nikon Coolpix L3 MOV movie files

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> You are asking in the wrong place. What you will get here is a reply
> >> from "nospam" that is neither helpful nor informed. Go to a forum
> >> where you will be treated with respect and get help.

> >how's this for respect: **** off.
> >
> >my answer was both helpful and 100% correct, unlike yours, which was
> >solely to bash me.

> I don't consider a reply that starts out with "bullshit" to be
> helpful.

bullshit may be blunt, but his statement that mov files appear to be
incompatible with most everything except vlc is completely bogus.
nothing could be further from the truth.

mov is a standard format and all that is necessary to read/write mov
files is install quicktime, something which is completely free, i might
add. there are some unofficial hacks that may offer partial support but
they're pretty bad, overall. it's also a bit surprising he doesn't have
quicktime already installed, since so much on the internet uses it.

> "Solely" means "not involving anything else". While I did bash you -
> as you deserve - I gave him something else: links to forums and an
> individual who be genuinely helpful.

that's nothing more than a runaround. my answer was the correct
solution, *and* i even told him what app to start with.

nospam

In article <2012021813071038165-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> QuickTime is not a perfect, or even good solution for the OP, "John
> Doe" who is apparently a Windows user.

installing quicktime is the *only* way to properly handle quicktime
movies, which is what a .mov file is. he could try some of the open
source hacks that claim to support quicktime, but they're pretty bad.
since quicktime is free, there's no reason whatsoever to not install
it.

> There is a big difference between QuickTime Player and QuickTime 7 Pro.
> For starters QT Player is just that, a player for most audio files and
> many video formats, but QT Player has always been problematic when it
> came to some specific codecs, especially when it came to some avi
> variants. It is not a video editor.

quick time player does a *lot* more than just play. it can do basic
editing, record new movies, as well as tweaks such as rotate, adjust
colour, frame rate, etc.

> QT 7 Pro for OSX or Windows costs $29.99 and for some media you might
> have to add the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component which costs another
> $19.99.

quicktime pro might be required, depending on what he needs to do (he
didn't give details). he also said it was an mjpeg file, which matches
my recollection of what nikon does for their video files, so there's no
need for an mpeg2 component.

> Personally on my Macs I use iMovie for editing any videos I shoot with
> either my Canon G11, Nikon D300s, or iPhone all without any major
> hassle. For viewing problematic video file with oddball codecs I use
> VLC there doesn't seem to be any compatibility between VLC and its
> Swiss Army Knife utility and QT's inability to handle tricky file
> formats. I can view .avi files which QT chokes on, with VLC.

quicktime does not choke on avi files unless they are corrupted somehow.

avi files, like mov files, are containers for any of a variety of
codecs. it's even possible for an avi and a mov file to use the same
codec. quicktime supports standard codecs, such as h.264, mpeg, etc.

avis tend to use non-standard codecs, i.e., microsoft proprietary ones
such as wmv, as well as ones such as divx. if you add the appropriate
codec, you can play the movie.

in the case of wmv, the codec to write wmv is not free (only playing is
free), but blame microsoft for that, since wmv is not cheap to license.

> QT does not have access to the entire array of video format codecs. It
> has always been a longstanding issue with Macs and QT. It is one reason
> I use VLC on my Macs.

quicktime has access to *any* codec anyone wants to write and all of
the popular formats exist (e.g., divx). if a codec for a particular
format doesn't exist, then it's because there's little demand for it or
the format is proprietary (or both).

nospam

In article <2012021814104884492-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> >> There is a big difference between QuickTime Player and QuickTime 7 Pro.
> >> For starters QT Player is just that, a player for most audio files and
> >> many video formats, but QT Player has always been problematic when it
> >> came to some specific codecs, especially when it came to some avi
> >> variants. It is not a video editor.

> > quick time player does a *lot* more than just play. it can do basic
> > editing, record new movies, as well as tweaks such as rotate, adjust
> > colour, frame rate, etc.

> Basic editing with QT Player?
> It can certainly record a basic movie as a .mov, and it can record
> screen actions as a .mov. It can record audio, also as a .mov, but with
> regard to editing it will only permit trimming. For more advanced edits
> upgrade to QT Pro, or use iMovie.

you can also cut/copy/paste selections. it's not as good as a dedicated
video editing app, but for simple stuff it works.

> >> Personally on my Macs I use iMovie for editing any videos I shoot with
> >> either my Canon G11, Nikon D300s, or iPhone all without any major
> >> hassle. For viewing problematic video file with oddball codecs I use
> >> VLC there doesn't seem to be any compatibility between VLC and its
> >> Swiss Army Knife utility and QT's inability to handle tricky file
> >> formats. I can view .avi files which QT chokes on, with VLC.

> > quicktime does not choke on avi files unless they are corrupted somehow.

> As you have noted avi's are containers and there is no true avi
> standard. I have experienced avi's which choke QT and are only playable
> on VLC.

there is an avi standard, but unfortunately, a lot of files are not
compliant with it, typically from buggy windows apps.

avi movies that do not play properly in quicktime with the appropriate
codec are almost always corrupt. quicktime won't play corrupted movies.
nothing should play them because they are invalid avi files, but buggy
software apparently doesn't care, which is not too surprising since
it's the same buggy crap that wrote the bogus files in the first place.

nevertheless, vlc does a good job of guessing what the data should be,
which is certainly nice but the file is still corrupt.

> > in the case of wmv, the codec to write wmv is not free (only playing is
> > free), but blame microsoft for that, since wmv is not cheap to license.

> Agreed, and that led to the workaround for playing WMV/WMA on QT with
> "Flip4Mac" when MS dropped the WM player for Mac.
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...a-player/wmcom
> ponents

no workaround needed. microsoft dropped support for their player (which
was not very good) and decided to sponsor telestream's version, which
was *much* better. it has the blessing and backing of microsoft and
will properly support windows media files. as i said, the player part
is free, which is all anyone needs because people should not create
proprietary formats.

<http://www.telestream.net/update-che...yer.htm?icid=o
verview-f4m-update>

> >> QT does not have access to the entire array of video format codecs. It
> >> has always been a longstanding issue with Macs and QT. It is one reason
> >> I use VLC on my Macs.

> > quicktime has access to *any* codec anyone wants to write and all of
> > the popular formats exist (e.g., divx). if a codec for a particular
> > format doesn't exist, then it's because there's little demand for it or
> > the format is proprietary (or both).

> True, but sometimes the search for some of the divx and avi codec
> variants, and there are some, is a PIA.

see above for wmv and <http://www.divx.com/en/software/mac> for divx.

me

On 18 Feb 2012 17:20:33 GMT, John Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'M TRYING TO EDIT THE FILES, MAROON

So purchase Quicktime Pro or any other editor/converter which
recognizes the quicktime format.

David Dyer-Bennet

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> In article <4f3fd8ac$0$32196$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) om>, John
> Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I guess this is off-topic, but...
>>
>> I have an old Nikon Coolpix L3 digital camera that records movies
>> that look okay for my purposes. I don't want to buy another
>> camera. I would like to edit the movies, but the produced MOV
>> files appear to be incompatible with most everything except
>> playback in VLC media player.

> bullshit. it's not incompatible with most everything. it's a standard
> quicktime movie.

So it's incompatible with nearly everything, then; Quicktime is not
widely supported.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, David Dyer-Bennet
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I have an old Nikon Coolpix L3 digital camera that records movies
> >> that look okay for my purposes. I don't want to buy another
> >> camera. I would like to edit the movies, but the produced MOV
> >> files appear to be incompatible with most everything except
> >> playback in VLC media player.

> > bullshit. it's not incompatible with most everything. it's a standard
> > quicktime movie.

> So it's incompatible with nearly everything, then; Quicktime is not
> widely supported.

quicktime is one of the most widely supported multimedia formats, if
not *the* widest. furthermore, quicktime uses codecs that are industry
standard (h.264, mpeg, mp3 etc.), rather than proprietary non-standard
ones such as wmv that are designed to lock you into the platform.