Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Some different Nikon News

Re: Some different Nikon News

nick c

PeterN wrote:
> On 2/25/2012 4:27 PM, nick c wrote:
>

> <SNIO>>>
>>>

>> When I first saw the strap attaches to the camera body by the tripod
>> socket, and the possibility of both cameras somewhat freely dangling at
>> my side, that bothered me. When using a tripod, at a point during a
>> tripod/camera setup, the camera would be unsecured from me. Although my
>> long lens has a tripod collar I don't often use that lens. The lens I
>> most often use is the 17-35mm f2.8.
>>
>> Although I don't post pictures anymore, I did a search and found
>> pbase.com still shows some examples of my old photo's. The site shows
>> old shots taken when I was primarily using Canon equipment. I've long
>> since sold all my Canon gear and have gone Nikon. These pictures will
>> show you the type of photo's I'm generally interested in taking.
>>
>> When I saw these posted photo's I was taken-back by the seemingly loss
>> of color tone that has occurred since they were posted. When compared
>> with my duplicate stock photo's, my stock photo's appear to be more
>> color enhanced and sharper than what may be seen in the posted pictures.
>> My guess is the posted pictures /may/ have been severely compressed. I
>> have long since ceased maintaining the site.
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/nchen711

> Looks like you enjoy photography.

Yeah, I do. Being somewhat of a history buff, I look upon a camera as
being a tool that records events as a passing part of history. Ghost
Towns and other windows of history will physically disappear but
pictures of the past last as long as they can be viewed.

But I don't do weddings, parties, or portraits.

> Y Our images are nice recordings of
> places you've been. Image # 3 at the Marina reminds me of a setting in a
> Clint Eastwood movie. Don't remember which one.
>

> I doubt that digital images would fade the way you describe. Could yo
> have gotten a brighter monitor?
>

>> Getting back to the camera rig, I will see if my local camera store has
>> such a type rig in stock.

nick c

Pete A wrote:
> On 2012-02-26 20:02:52 +0000, PeterN said:
>
>> On 2/25/2012 4:27 PM, nick c wrote:
>>

>> <SNIO>>>
>>>>

>>> When I first saw the strap attaches to the camera body by the tripod
>>> socket, and the possibility of both cameras somewhat freely dangling at
>>> my side, that bothered me. When using a tripod, at a point during a
>>> tripod/camera setup, the camera would be unsecured from me. Although my
>>> long lens has a tripod collar I don't often use that lens. The lens I
>>> most often use is the 17-35mm f2.8.
>>>
>>> Although I don't post pictures anymore, I did a search and found
>>> pbase.com still shows some examples of my old photo's. The site shows
>>> old shots taken when I was primarily using Canon equipment. I've long
>>> since sold all my Canon gear and have gone Nikon. These pictures will
>>> show you the type of photo's I'm generally interested in taking.
>>>
>>> When I saw these posted photo's I was taken-back by the seemingly loss
>>> of color tone that has occurred since they were posted. When compared
>>> with my duplicate stock photo's, my stock photo's appear to be more
>>> color enhanced and sharper than what may be seen in the posted pictures.
>>> My guess is the posted pictures /may/ have been severely compressed. I
>>> have long since ceased maintaining the site.
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/nchen711

>> Looks like you enjoy photography. Y Our images are nice recordings of
>> places you've been. Image # 3 at the Marina reminds me of a setting in
>> a Clint Eastwood movie. Don't remember which one.
>>

>> I doubt that digital images would fade the way you describe. Could yo
>> have gotten a brighter monitor?

> Just a thought: I downloaded one of Nick's images and noticed it has no
> ICC profile. If the originals were sRGB images then there should be no
> colour difference in any web browser other than Safari, which for some
> idiotic reason assigns the Monitor Profile to untagged images rather
> than sRGB. If the originals weren't sRGB images then problem solved.

Posted pictures were taken with different cameras. I think there's a mix
of Canon's D30 and 1D, and a mix of Nikon's D100 and F4 (or 5). One set
of pictures was scanned from transparencies. /Generally/ I discard sRGB
and use Adobe or Nikon RGB.

I'm happy you found one you liked.

Pete A

On 2012-02-27 03:55:46 +0000, nick c said:

> Pete A wrote:
>> On 2012-02-26 20:02:52 +0000, PeterN said:
>>
>>> On 2/25/2012 4:27 PM, nick c wrote:
>>>
>>> <SNIO>

>>> Looks like you enjoy photography. Y Our images are nice recordings of
>>> places you've been. Image # 3 at the Marina reminds me of a setting in
>>> a Clint Eastwood movie. Don't remember which one.
>>>

>>> I doubt that digital images would fade the way you describe. Could yo
>>> have gotten a brighter monitor?

>> Just a thought: I downloaded one of Nick's images and noticed it has no
>> ICC profile. If the originals were sRGB images then there should be no
>> colour difference in any web browser other than Safari, which for some
>> idiotic reason assigns the Monitor Profile to untagged images rather
>> than sRGB. If the originals weren't sRGB images then problem solved.

> Posted pictures were taken with different cameras. I think there's a
> mix of Canon's D30 and 1D, and a mix of Nikon's D100 and F4 (or 5). One
> set of pictures was scanned from transparencies. /Generally/ I discard
> sRGB and use Adobe or Nikon RGB.

Nikon RGB will work correctly. Uploading Adobe RGB images will give a
faded appearance: the saturation will be lower and the shadow areas
will be lighter.

> I'm happy you found one you liked.

I liked too many to list, thanks for sharing them.

David Dyer-Bennet

Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:

> I also recommend the Black Rapid Strap. Use one and you will wonder
> where the pain from hanging a DSLR around your neck went. I use the
> RS-4 carrying one D300s. The only hassle is having to undo the
> fastener from the tripod socket for tripod use. I usually just carry a
> QR plate in my pocket and switch if I need to use a tripod.
>
> The camera hangs upside down, but can be brought into play very
> quickly from that position.
> < http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-7/ >

I just this weekend received a Lens Loop strap
<http://www.lensloop.com/> which seems quite similar to the Black Rapid
Strap. Its connector will screw into the tripod threaded hole in my RRS
L-bracket, so I don't even have to take off the quick-release to use
it.

On a very quick test, the camera hangs nicely at my side (I was using it
across the opposite shoulder, rather than just on the one side) where I
can keep my hand on it and bring it up to shooting position very quickly
and easily. With the 24-70/2.8 lens it's a little lens-heavy; attached
to the tripod foot of a 70-200/2.8 it balances very nicely.

We'll see if I find it the love of my life with some serious use .
--
David Dyer-Bennet, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

David Dyer-Bennet

Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:

> On 2012-02-27 07:39:04 -0800, David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:
>>
>>> I also recommend the Black Rapid Strap. Use one and you will wonder
>>> where the pain from hanging a DSLR around your neck went. I use the
>>> RS-4 carrying one D300s. The only hassle is having to undo the
>>> fastener from the tripod socket for tripod use. I usually just carry a
>>> QR plate in my pocket and switch if I need to use a tripod.
>>>
>>> The camera hangs upside down, but can be brought into play very
>>> quickly from that position.
>>> < http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-7/ >

>> I just this weekend received a Lens Loop strap
>> <http://www.lensloop.com/> which seems quite similar to the Black Rapid
>> Strap. Its connector will screw into the tripod threaded hole in my RRS
>> L-bracket, so I don't even have to take off the quick-release to use
>> it.
>>
>> On a very quick test, the camera hangs nicely at my side (I was using it
>> across the opposite shoulder, rather than just on the one side) where I
>> can keep my hand on it and bring it up to shooting position very quickly
>> and easily. With the 24-70/2.8 lens it's a little lens-heavy; attached
>> to the tripod foot of a 70-200/2.8 it balances very nicely.
>>
>> We'll see if I find it the love of my life with some serious use .

> Yup!
> It is a similar idea, slightly different execution. It seems the strap
> is unpadded web which might cause a bit of discomfort over the long
> haul. The Black Rapid has a padded cushion to the "shoulder" section
> of the strap.

It's 2.5" wide, but I haven't worn it long enough to come to an opinion
yet really. Having to futz with pads has been a mild annoyance on some
previous straps.

> Being right handed I wear mine slung to the right, where I find it
> comfortable, and I am also able to bring the camera into action easily
> & quickly from that side.

I think I understand that, and if so we do it about the same, with the
camera down at our right side when resting on the strap.

> With fat lenses, it is always best to attach to the tripod foot.

In fact, the Sigma 120-400 comes with a strap attached to *it*. That's
the first thing I tested with anything like that kind of hang, and I
kind of liked it.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, (E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

PeterN

On 2/26/2012 10:38 PM, nick c wrote:
> PeterN wrote:
>> On 2/25/2012 4:27 PM, nick c wrote:
>>

>> <SNIO>>>
>>>>

>>> When I first saw the strap attaches to the camera body by the tripod
>>> socket, and the possibility of both cameras somewhat freely dangling at
>>> my side, that bothered me. When using a tripod, at a point during a
>>> tripod/camera setup, the camera would be unsecured from me. Although my
>>> long lens has a tripod collar I don't often use that lens. The lens I
>>> most often use is the 17-35mm f2.8.
>>>
>>> Although I don't post pictures anymore, I did a search and found
>>> pbase.com still shows some examples of my old photo's. The site shows
>>> old shots taken when I was primarily using Canon equipment. I've long
>>> since sold all my Canon gear and have gone Nikon. These pictures will
>>> show you the type of photo's I'm generally interested in taking.
>>>
>>> When I saw these posted photo's I was taken-back by the seemingly loss
>>> of color tone that has occurred since they were posted. When compared
>>> with my duplicate stock photo's, my stock photo's appear to be more
>>> color enhanced and sharper than what may be seen in the posted pictures.
>>> My guess is the posted pictures /may/ have been severely compressed. I
>>> have long since ceased maintaining the site.
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/nchen711

>> Looks like you enjoy photography.

> Yeah, I do. Being somewhat of a history buff, I look upon a camera as
> being a tool that records events as a passing part of history. Ghost
> Towns and other windows of history will physically disappear but
> pictures of the past last as long as they can be viewed.

Hope you have many years of enjoyment.

> But I don't do weddings, parties, or portraits.

Me neither

--
Peter