Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > OT: motorcycle episode

OT: motorcycle episode

Gib Bogle

I was riding my bike (an old Kawasaki Ninja 250) home on the NW motorway
in Auckland the day before yesterday, at about 3:45, in a very heavy
tropical downpour. I was doing about 100 kph in the fast lane going
through Newton gully when the engine cut out without warning. I
signalled and managed to pull over through a couple of lanes of traffic,
slowing rapidly and fearing the worst. As I got onto the shoulder the
engine restarted. I let it run for a while, then headed off again, this
time keeping in the left lane. It cut out again near Western Springs.
Again I waited for a while, then drove home with no further problems.

I've been riding this bike in all conditions for about 12 years, and it
has been completely reliable. There was plenty of gas in the tank, but
today I emptied it and checked for water, particles etc in both the tank
and the carb float chambers. Everything looked fine.

I happened to see the NZ Herald yesterday, with the front page story
about water spouts happening about the time I was being rained on, and
I've hatched a far-fetched explanation for the engine cutting out (I'm
convinced it was the electrics). Salt picked up from the ocean falling
in the rain would make the water splashing up onto the head and
spark-plug leads much more conductive than usual. It seems unlikely,
but I can't think of anything else.

Gordon

On 2012-02-17, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I was riding my bike (an old Kawasaki Ninja 250) home on the NW motorway
> in Auckland the day before yesterday, at about 3:45, in a very heavy
> tropical downpour. I was doing about 100 kph in the fast lane going
> through Newton gully when the engine cut out without warning. I
> signalled and managed to pull over through a couple of lanes of traffic,
> slowing rapidly and fearing the worst. As I got onto the shoulder the
> engine restarted. I let it run for a while, then headed off again, this
> time keeping in the left lane. It cut out again near Western Springs.
> Again I waited for a while, then drove home with no further problems.
>
> I've been riding this bike in all conditions for about 12 years, and it
> has been completely reliable. There was plenty of gas in the tank, but
> today I emptied it and checked for water, particles etc in both the tank
> and the carb float chambers. Everything looked fine.
>
> I happened to see the NZ Herald yesterday, with the front page story
> about water spouts happening about the time I was being rained on, and
> I've hatched a far-fetched explanation for the engine cutting out (I'm
> convinced it was the electrics). Salt picked up from the ocean falling
> in the rain would make the water splashing up onto the head and
> spark-plug leads much more conductive than usual. It seems unlikely,
> but I can't think of anything else.

The ignition coil is dying.Works when cold then after some use when it get
warm it cuts out. Stop and rest and it cools down then ready to repeat the
process.

Gib Bogle

On 17/02/2012 8:36 p.m., Gordon wrote:
> On 2012-02-17, Gib Bogle<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I was riding my bike (an old Kawasaki Ninja 250) home on the NW motorway
>> in Auckland the day before yesterday, at about 3:45, in a very heavy
>> tropical downpour. I was doing about 100 kph in the fast lane going
>> through Newton gully when the engine cut out without warning. I
>> signalled and managed to pull over through a couple of lanes of traffic,
>> slowing rapidly and fearing the worst. As I got onto the shoulder the
>> engine restarted. I let it run for a while, then headed off again, this
>> time keeping in the left lane. It cut out again near Western Springs.
>> Again I waited for a while, then drove home with no further problems.
>>
>> I've been riding this bike in all conditions for about 12 years, and it
>> has been completely reliable. There was plenty of gas in the tank, but
>> today I emptied it and checked for water, particles etc in both the tank
>> and the carb float chambers. Everything looked fine.
>>
>> I happened to see the NZ Herald yesterday, with the front page story
>> about water spouts happening about the time I was being rained on, and
>> I've hatched a far-fetched explanation for the engine cutting out (I'm
>> convinced it was the electrics). Salt picked up from the ocean falling
>> in the rain would make the water splashing up onto the head and
>> spark-plug leads much more conductive than usual. It seems unlikely,
>> but I can't think of anything else.

> The ignition coil is dying.Works when cold then after some use when it get
> warm it cuts out. Stop and rest and it cools down then ready to repeat the
> process.

No. It works fine when hot. The rain caused the problem.

Gib Bogle

On 17/02/2012 8:36 p.m., Gordon wrote:
> On 2012-02-17, Gib Bogle<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I was riding my bike (an old Kawasaki Ninja 250) home on the NW motorway
>> in Auckland the day before yesterday, at about 3:45, in a very heavy
>> tropical downpour. I was doing about 100 kph in the fast lane going
>> through Newton gully when the engine cut out without warning. I
>> signalled and managed to pull over through a couple of lanes of traffic,
>> slowing rapidly and fearing the worst. As I got onto the shoulder the
>> engine restarted. I let it run for a while, then headed off again, this
>> time keeping in the left lane. It cut out again near Western Springs.
>> Again I waited for a while, then drove home with no further problems.
>>
>> I've been riding this bike in all conditions for about 12 years, and it
>> has been completely reliable. There was plenty of gas in the tank, but
>> today I emptied it and checked for water, particles etc in both the tank
>> and the carb float chambers. Everything looked fine.
>>
>> I happened to see the NZ Herald yesterday, with the front page story
>> about water spouts happening about the time I was being rained on, and
>> I've hatched a far-fetched explanation for the engine cutting out (I'm
>> convinced it was the electrics). Salt picked up from the ocean falling
>> in the rain would make the water splashing up onto the head and
>> spark-plug leads much more conductive than usual. It seems unlikely,
>> but I can't think of anything else.

> The ignition coil is dying.Works when cold then after some use when it get
> warm it cuts out. Stop and rest and it cools down then ready to repeat the
> process.

I forgot to mention that when I was stopped and waiting I was running
the engine, hoping it would heat up and dry out the water. By the time
I got home the engine was nice and warm. I do not anticipate further
problems.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
> I was riding my bike (an old Kawasaki Ninja 250) home on the NW
> motorway in Auckland the day before yesterday, at about 3:45, in a
> very heavy tropical downpour. I was doing about 100 kph in the fast
> lane going through Newton gully when the engine cut out without
> warning. I signalled and managed to pull over through a couple of
> lanes of traffic, slowing rapidly and fearing the worst. As I got
> onto the shoulder the engine restarted. I let it run for a while,
> then headed off again, this time keeping in the left lane. It cut
> out again near Western Springs. Again I waited for a while, then
> drove home with no further problems.
> I've been riding this bike in all conditions for about 12 years, and
> it has been completely reliable. There was plenty of gas in the
> tank, but today I emptied it and checked for water, particles etc in
> both the tank and the carb float chambers. Everything looked fine.
>
> I happened to see the NZ Herald yesterday, with the front page story
> about water spouts happening about the time I was being rained on, and
> I've hatched a far-fetched explanation for the engine cutting out (I'm
> convinced it was the electrics). Salt picked up from the ocean
> falling in the rain would make the water splashing up onto the head
> and spark-plug leads much more conductive than usual. It seems
> unlikely, but I can't think of anything else.

I guess that it *is* possible and am not discounting th possibility.
However, that rain was bloody heavy, maybe it just got places that had never
(or very rarely) been wet before? Did the rain taste salty? <g>
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Gib Bogle

On 18/02/2012 1:07 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
>> I was riding my bike (an old Kawasaki Ninja 250) home on the NW
>> motorway in Auckland the day before yesterday, at about 3:45, in a
>> very heavy tropical downpour. I was doing about 100 kph in the fast
>> lane going through Newton gully when the engine cut out without
>> warning. I signalled and managed to pull over through a couple of
>> lanes of traffic, slowing rapidly and fearing the worst. As I got
>> onto the shoulder the engine restarted. I let it run for a while,
>> then headed off again, this time keeping in the left lane. It cut
>> out again near Western Springs. Again I waited for a while, then
>> drove home with no further problems.
>> I've been riding this bike in all conditions for about 12 years, and
>> it has been completely reliable. There was plenty of gas in the
>> tank, but today I emptied it and checked for water, particles etc in
>> both the tank and the carb float chambers. Everything looked fine.
>>
>> I happened to see the NZ Herald yesterday, with the front page story
>> about water spouts happening about the time I was being rained on, and
>> I've hatched a far-fetched explanation for the engine cutting out (I'm
>> convinced it was the electrics). Salt picked up from the ocean
>> falling in the rain would make the water splashing up onto the head
>> and spark-plug leads much more conductive than usual. It seems
>> unlikely, but I can't think of anything else.

> I guess that it *is* possible and am not discounting th possibility.
> However, that rain was bloody heavy, maybe it just got places that had never
> (or very rarely) been wet before? Did the rain taste salty?<g>

It didn't get inside my full-face helmet, so I didn't get to taste it.
It was heavy, but I've ridden in rain as heavy many times (I commute on
this bike all through the year). I agree that getting enough salt into
the water falling onto that part of the motorway seems highly unlikely.
I have read of fish, frogs etc falling from the sky - victims of
waterspouts.

Me

On 16/02/2012 8:40 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
> I was riding my bike (an old Kawasaki Ninja 250) home on the NW motorway
> in Auckland the day before yesterday, at about 3:45, in a very heavy
> tropical downpour. I was doing about 100 kph in the fast lane going
> through Newton gully when the engine cut out without warning. I
> signalled and managed to pull over through a couple of lanes of traffic,
> slowing rapidly and fearing the worst. As I got onto the shoulder the
> engine restarted. I let it run for a while, then headed off again, this
> time keeping in the left lane. It cut out again near Western Springs.
> Again I waited for a while, then drove home with no further problems.
>
> I've been riding this bike in all conditions for about 12 years, and it
> has been completely reliable. There was plenty of gas in the tank, but
> today I emptied it and checked for water, particles etc in both the tank
> and the carb float chambers. Everything looked fine.
>
> I happened to see the NZ Herald yesterday, with the front page story
> about water spouts happening about the time I was being rained on, and
> I've hatched a far-fetched explanation for the engine cutting out (I'm
> convinced it was the electrics). Salt picked up from the ocean falling
> in the rain would make the water splashing up onto the head and
> spark-plug leads much more conductive than usual. It seems unlikely, but
> I can't think of anything else.

Doesn't sound likely to me. If it was (slightly) salty water on the
ignition leads, then I'd have expected it to first misfire rather than
just stopping dead, and misfire again when it started.
I'd be looking for a fault in the kill switch or ignition switch,
blocked or partly blocked fuel tank breather etc.
More investigation is needed - a bike motor suddenly cutting out like
that when commuting on busy motorway would have me fearing the worst too.