Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Chrome for Android does not support JAVA

Chrome for Android does not support JAVA

Arne Vajhj

On 4/16/2012 9:18 PM, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> On 12-04-16 08:59 PM, Arne Vajhj wrote:
>> On 4/16/2012 6:36 PM, Richard Maher wrote:
>>> "Lew"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> Sounds more like it. I came across
>>> http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java7.xml and seeing Google
>>> pushing 6.31
>>> I got confused.

>> Java 6 is still being updated.
>>
>> And there are probably still more on Java 6 than on Java 7.

> Java 7 is the first release of Java that I've had trepidation about
> moving onto. A number of Java applications I use failed silently on 7:
> no exceptions, just some commanded operation or the other wouldn't
> happen. As soon as I pointed them back at 6 the apps worked perfectly OK.
>
> I see from release notes that a number of these apps have fixed
> *something* since last summer that lets them work with Java 7. On the
> other hand, when I see an application release note that's worded like
> "this now works with Java 7", and the timing of that note is shortly
> after a Java 7 update, was it the app that got fixed, or Java? Short of
> asking each and every one of these application teams what it was that
> got fixed, which I don't have the time for, I'm assuming that it was Java.

It is well known that the first Oracle Java 7 shipped with an
optimization bug (Lucene bug) that were fixed in an update.

It could relate to that.

> I haven't seen a single enterprise customer that my company works with
> move to Java 7 or express interest in moving onto 7. Given that the new
> owner of Java didn't come out with a Java 7 capable WebLogic until
> November 2011 (WebLogic 11g 10.3.6) I don't suppose that anyone who has
> to deal with Java EE app servers or other middleware can be blamed for
> being cautious.

And WAS 8.5 is just recently out in beta.

JBoss 7 has supported SE 7 for at least a half year.

It will take 2-3 years before SE 6 will be "old" in the EE world.

Arne