Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > new JDK released 1.7.0_03

new JDK released 1.7.0_03

Roedy Green

a new JDK was just released 1.7.0_03.

Hints on installing will be posted soon at
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html
and http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jre.html

It is pretty straightforward, so long as you remember to get 32/64 bit
or both.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Jan Burse

Roedy Green schrieb:
> a new JDK was just released 1.7.0_03.
>
> Hints on installing will be posted soon at
> http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html
> and http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jre.html
>
> It is pretty straightforward, so long as you remember to get 32/64 bit
> or both.

Did it fix the keyboard on Mac OS?

So far openjdk 1.7 was not usable on Mac OS, the
option modifier did not work, no chance to type
[ ] | { } from a swiss german keyboard.

Exactly same application works with openjdk 1.6,
the Swing text component handles the keyboard
correctly.

Bye

Roedy Green

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 11:12:20 +0100, Jan Burse <(E-Mail Removed)>

>Did it fix the keyboard on Mac OS?

This was from Oracle, the mainstream version, not Open JDK. I think
mostly it was about timezone/DST trivia updates and the usual security
stuff.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com
One of the most useful comments you can put in a program is
"If you change this, remember to change ?XXX? too".

markspace

On 2/15/2012 2:12 AM, Jan Burse wrote:
> Roedy Green schrieb:
>> a new JDK was just released 1.7.0_03.
>>

>> It is pretty straightforward, so long as you remember to get 32/64 bit
>> or both.

> Did it fix the keyboard on Mac OS?

Java Update 3 release notes. They don't say anything about Mac OS
though, afaics.

<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/7u3-relnotes-1481928.html>

Looks like Java 1.7.0_03 has some Security Baseline stuff (I didn't read
what that is), there's Java SE 7u3 updates for the Java plugin and for
some security vulnerabilities.

Arne Vajh°j

On 2/15/2012 5:12 AM, Jan Burse wrote:
> Roedy Green schrieb:
>> a new JDK was just released 1.7.0_03.
>>
>> Hints on installing will be posted soon at
>> http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html
>> and http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jre.html
>>
>> It is pretty straightforward, so long as you remember to get 32/64 bit
>> or both.

> Did it fix the keyboard on Mac OS?
>
> So far openjdk 1.7 was not usable on Mac OS, the
> option modifier did not work, no chance to type
> [ ] | { } from a swiss german keyboard.
>
> Exactly same application works with openjdk 1.6,
> the Swing text component handles the keyboard
> correctly.

It was Oracle Java that was released not OpenJDK.

As far as I can see then OpenJDK does not even
have a u3 only u2 and u4.

To find out whether it is fixed or not
you should probably read commit comments
in Mercurial.

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

On 2/15/2012 10:44 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 11:12:20 +0100, Jan Burse<(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> Did it fix the keyboard on Mac OS?

> This was from Oracle, the mainstream version, not Open JDK.

OpenJDK is actually supposed to be RI, but it has not
really taken over yet.

Arne

Fredrik Jonson

In <4f3c55ee$0$290$(E-Mail Removed)> Arne Vajh├Şj wrote:

> As far as I can see then OpenJDK does not even have a u3 only
> u2 and u4.

It seems that oracle have reserved odd releases solely for security updates,
while feature releases are even numbered. I'm not suprised that they do the
even numbered releases out in the open with openjdk, while keeping the odd
releases with security fixes secret as long as possible.

I haven't seen this policy stated authoritively publicly anywhere, but the
pattern of changes in the three updates of jdk 7 sure seems to support it.

--
Fredrik Jonson

Lew

Fredrik Jonson wrote:
> Arne Vajh°j wrote:
>> As far as I can see then OpenJDK does not even have a u3 only
>> u2 and u4.

> It seems that oracle have reserved odd releases solely for security updates,
> while feature releases are even numbered. I'm not suprised that they do the
> even numbered releases out in the open with openjdk, while keeping the odd
> releases with security fixes secret as long as possible.

What the ...?

> I haven't seen this policy stated authoritively publicly anywhere, but the
> pattern of changes in the three updates of jdk [sic] 7 sure seems to support it.

Maybe because that isn't the policy and the three updates of Oracle's Java 7
completely disprove the notion.

Java 1.7.0_1 had both security and feature changes, 1.7.0_02 had both security
and feature changes, and 1.7.0_03 had both security and and non-security
changes.

--
Lew

Fredrik Jonson

Lew wrote:

> > I haven't seen this policy stated authoritively publicly anywhere, but
> > the pattern of changes in the three updates of jdk 7 sure seems to
> > support it.

> Maybe because that isn't the policy and the three updates of Oracle's
> Java 7 completely disprove the notion.

Maybe You're correct, I'm no authority, just calling it as I see it. I'm
curious, do you have a authoritative source for your statement?

> Java 1.7.0_1 had both security and feature changes, 1.7.0_02 had both
> security and feature changes, and 1.7.0_03 had both security and and
> non-security changes.

I must confess that after the reorganization after Oracle bought Sun I find
the changelogs harder to interpret. I can't seem to find the full list of
all bugs fixed in a release in the relase notes anymore. Didn't Sun usually
include a long table of all fixes in the relase notes? Or was that another
document? Compare with the table "Other Bug fixes" below:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...es-176121.html

Anyway, back on topic. Let me quote from the release notes:

In update 1:
"Bug Fixes This release contains fixes for security vulnerabilities. For
more information, please see Oracle Java SE Critical Patch Update advisory."

update 2:
"Bug Fixes Java SE 7u2 does not add any fixes for security vulnerabilities
beyond those in Java SE 7u1. Users who have Java SE 7u1 have the latest
security fixes and do not need to upgrade to this release to be current on
security fixes."

update 3:
"Bug Fixes This release contains fixes for security vulnerabilities. For
more information, see Oracle Java SE Critical Patch Update Advisory."

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...es-507962.html
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...s-1394228.html
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...s-1481928.html

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, and I'd be greatful if anyone could help
me find a more complete list of issues relsolved for each 7uN release.

--
Fredrik Jonson

Lew

On Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:21:50 AM UTC-8, Fredrik Jonson wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>
> > > I haven't seen this policy stated authoritively publicly anywhere, but
> > > the pattern of changes in the three updates of jdk 7 sure seems to
> > > support it.

> > Maybe because that isn't the policy and the three updates of Oracle's
> > Java 7 completely disprove the notion.

> Maybe You're correct, I'm no authority, just calling it as I see it. I'm
> curious, do you have a authoritative source for your statement?

Yes, I looked it up on Oracle's Java page. They issue release notes for every
version. Most professional software companies do. The release notes describe
what was done in the release. Their link is right there on the page for the
download, right after the "ReadMe" link. You can't miss it.

> > Java 1.7.0_1 had both security and feature changes, 1.7.0_02 had both
> > security and feature changes, and 1.7.0_03 had both security and and
> > non-security changes.

> I must confess that after the reorganization after Oracle bought Sun I find
> the changelogs harder to interpret. I can't seem to find the full list of
> all bugs fixed in a release in the relase notes anymore. Didn't Sun usually
> include a long table of all fixes in the relase notes? Or was that another
> document? Compare with the table "Other Bug fixes" below:
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...es-176121.html
>
> Anyway, back on topic. Let me quote from the release notes:
>
> In update 1:
> "Bug Fixes This release contains fixes for security vulnerabilities. For
> more information, please see Oracle Java SE Critical Patch Update advisory."

Selective quotation proves nothing, and is intellectually dishonest.
Update 1 also includes:
"Olson Data 2011g", fixed "RMI Registry Issue", fixed "JIT and Loop Bugs",
"Other Bug Fixes".

> update 2:
> "Bug Fixes Java SE 7u2 does not add any fixes for security vulnerabilities
> beyond those in Java SE 7u1. Users who have Java SE 7u1 have the latest
> security fixes and do not need to upgrade to this release to be current on
> security fixes."

And yet they also cite "Enhanced Security Through Old Release Warnings".

> update 3:
> "Bug Fixes This release contains fixes for security vulnerabilities. For
> more information, see Oracle Java SE Critical Patch Update Advisory."

And of course that's *all* it contains, right? Oh, wait, except for "Other Bug
Fixes". There's that selective quotation thing again!