Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > C++ tutorials for C programmers?

C++ tutorials for C programmers?

army1987

What free online C++ tutorial would you recommend to someone who already
knows C? In the FAQ I've found a list of C features I had better unlearn
(but without a pointer to a longer discussion of the issue), and a couple
of links to C++ tutorials both of which are broken. I'd just google for
"C++ tutorial" but I'd have no way to know which tutorials are best.

--
Vuolsi così colÃ* dove si puote
ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare.

Alf P. Steinbach

On 14.02.2012 20:55, army1987 wrote:
> What free online C++ tutorial would you recommend to someone who already
> knows C? In the FAQ I've found a list of C features I had better unlearn
> (but without a pointer to a longer discussion of the issue), and a couple
> of links to C++ tutorials both of which are broken. I'd just google for
> "C++ tutorial" but I'd have no way to know which tutorials are best.

The borked links in the C++ FAQ are to a tutorial that I wrote but
that's off the net now.

At the time I wrote it there were no even halfway decent C++ tutorials
on the net. They were all full of technical errors. And that was even a
FAQ item, in the FAQ for the learn-C-and-C++ Usenet group.

However, now there are tutorials and on-line books that, while not
perfect, are not full of errors, e.g. as listed at

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9...als-to-learn-c

and in particular for a concise tutorial,

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

which *almost* appeared in the SO answers.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

army1987

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 21:08:25 +0100, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:

[...]

> http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Thank you, I'll try this one.

--
Vuolsi così colÃ* dove si puote
ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare.
[ T H I S S P A C E I S F O R R E N T ]
<http://xkcd.com/397/>

Jorgen Grahn

On Tue, 2012-02-14, army1987 wrote:
> What free online C++ tutorial would you recommend to someone who already
> knows C? In the FAQ I've found a list of C features I had better unlearn
> (but without a pointer to a longer discussion of the issue),

Where's that list? There is one in [28.2] "Should I learn C before I
learn OO/C++?", but it has motivations for all of them. (Not that I
think that list is exhaustive or anything.)

> and a couple
> of links to C++ tutorials both of which are broken. I'd just google for
> "C++ tutorial" but I'd have no way to know which tutorials are best.

I recommend handling it as if you didn't know C, but was an
experienced programmer. I.e. buy real books and use them in your
studies. Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language is one book for
that audience.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

Army1987

On 14 Feb, 23:33, Jorgen Grahn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Where's that list? There is one in [28.2] "Should I learn C before I
> learn OO/C++?", but it has motivations for all of them. (Not that I
> think that list is exhaustive or anything.)

Yeah, I meant that one. I hadn't followed the links (what the hell was
I thinking of?).

> I recommend handling it as if you didn't know C, but was an
> experienced programmer. *I.e. buy real books and use them in your
> studies. Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language is one book for
> that audience.

That'd be overkill. I needn't write any programs from the grounds up,
only adapt some existing simulation code to a slightly different
problem.

Nick Keighley

On Feb 16, 1:31*pm, Army1987 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 14 Feb, 23:33, Jorgen Grahn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Where's that list? There is one in [28.2] "Should I learn C before I
> > learn OO/C++?", but it has motivations for all of them. (Not that I
> > think that list is exhaustive or anything.)

> Yeah, I meant that one. I hadn't followed the links (what the hell was
> I thinking of?).
>
> > I recommend handling it as if you didn't know C, but was an
> > experienced programmer. *I.e. buy real books and use them in your
> > studies. Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language is one book for
> > that audience.

> That'd be overkill. I needn't write any programs from the grounds up,
> only adapt some existing simulation code to a slightly different
> problem.

there is a lot of difference between idiomatic C++ and idiomatic C. If
you're going to do maintenance ona C++ code base i think you're going
to have to learn C++

none

In article <jhee88$qf2$(E-Mail Removed)>,
army1987 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>What free online C++ tutorial would you recommend to someone who already
>knows C? In the FAQ I've found a list of C features I had better unlearn
>(but without a pointer to a longer discussion of the issue), and a couple
>of links to C++ tutorials both of which are broken. I'd just google for
>"C++ tutorial" but I'd have no way to know which tutorials are best.

Some other peoples have already pointed to some online resource that
might be decent and useful:

I'll throw an alternative view here however:
- Do you value learning C++?
- Do you value your time?

If you answer yes to both of the above, then I'd suggest you do not
try to learn something difficult like C++ using second class teaching
tools just because they are free. You will likely end up learning
badly or would need to spend a lot more time in order to reach the same
level that you would gain with top class learning tools.

Note: I do not mean that some free teaching resource might not be
good. Just that by limiting yourself to "free online", you might not
have to get money out of your wallet but you may still end up paying
for it in a different way.

Yannick

Silent Stone

On Feb 16, 1:03*pm, yatremblay@bel1lin202.(none) (Yannick Tremblay)
wrote:
> Note: I do not mean that some free teaching resource might not be
> good. *Just that by limiting yourself to "free online", you might not
> have to get money out of your wallet but you may still end up paying
> for it in a different way.
>
> Yannick

On this subject, what might be some good books for someone with some
programming experience to properly learn C++ with? I presume
Stroustrup's book is _The Tome_ of this language? Would someone be
better off chosing that over Accelerated C++, or Lippman's C++ Primer?

Thanks.

-John

Juha Nieminen

Yannick Tremblay <yatremblay@bel1lin202.(none)> wrote:
> If you answer yes to both of the above, then I'd suggest you do not
> try to learn something difficult like C++ using second class teaching
> tools just because they are free. You will likely end up learning
> badly or would need to spend a lot more time in order to reach the same
> level that you would gain with top class learning tools.

Recommending that one should use competent sources to learn the
language is easy. Recommending such a source is more difficult.
Any suggestions?

Ebenezer

On Feb 16, 4:09*pm, Juha Nieminen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Yannick Tremblay <yatremblay@bel1lin202.(none)> wrote:
> > If you answer yes to both of the above, then I'd suggest you do not
> > try to learn something difficult like C++ using second class teaching
> > tools just because they are free. *You will likely end up learning
> > badly or would need to spend a lot more time in order to reach the same
> > level that you would gain with top class learning tools.

> * Recommending that one should use competent sources to learn the
> language is easy. Recommending such a source is more difficult.
> Any suggestions?

I've noticed the number of people viewing C++ and Beyond
videos and the recent Going Native videos is pretty high.
I agreed with Bjarne scolding some of the other panel
members for talking at length about shared_ptr. Bjarne
said he thinks of shared_ptr as something to be used "last".

The code on my website is increasingly robust over time --
http://webEbenezer.net .

Brian

system c/specman e tutorials Pow VHDL 1 05-11-2006 04:12 AM
Etching tutorials-or now for something completely different Technoholic Case Modding 71 09-27-2005 06:39 AM
Updated Networking Tutorials? =?Utf-8?B?UGFycm90?= Wireless Networking 3 06-20-2005 01:40 AM
PSL stmt embedded in VHDL: good tutorials somewhere? Eric DELAGE VHDL 2 04-06-2005 05:11 AM
Good books/tutorials on VHDL? Chaos Master VHDL 1 02-18-2004 09:24 PM

Advertisments