Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Link and Anchor

Link and Anchor

Gene Wirchenko

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 06:58:08 +1100, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <jhdu5t$ukn$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty replied to hisself:
>>
>> > at the end.</aP

>> Typo: should have been </p>

>Damn, I went and changed all my books with permanent marker pen to end
>paras how you said soon as I saw it. I will never trust you again.
>
>--
>dorayme

I have some bad news about your pseud.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Michael Yardley

On Feb 14, 2:00*pm, Tim W <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What's the difference between a link and an anchor? Is there one?
>
> My 'build your own website' manual that I have been learning from
> doesn't make any distinction, the index says 'Anchor: see Link' but when
> I look at the tinyMCE html editor it has separate buttons for inserting
> a link and an anchor. The anchor button appears to put in a bit of html
> like:
> <a name="thenameyouchose"></a>
> without the href bit. what would be the point of that?
>
> Tim w

link

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/tutorials/html/links

anchor

http://www.ehow.com/way_5249902_anch...-tutorial.html

What Is an Anchor Link?

http://www.ehow.com/info_8764729_anchor.html

Jonathan N. Little

Alan_Smith wrote:
> The anchor is used to link different documents together. It contains at
> least one attribute and for the function of linking to a different
> document, the attribute HREF is used. The value of the attribute HREF is
> the URL of the target document. And the link is a connection from one
> Web resource to another. It has two ends anchors and a direction.

It is a little confusing what you are exactly saying here. It seems like
you are saying that a "link" is an A element with a closing tag and an
"anchor" is not. This is incorrect. An A element requires a closing tag
regardless:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#edef-A>

Also an A element does not require a HREF nor a NAME attribute.

I would say that an "anchor" and a "link" are roles that an A element
can provide using the HREF and NAME attributes. With an ID or NAME
attribute it can define an anchor point in a document, and with an HREF
is can define a link to another document or anchor point with the same
document.

--
Take care,

Jonathan