Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > problem importing a canon powershot sx1 raw file

problem importing a canon powershot sx1 raw file

sobriquet

Op zondag 12 februari 2012 01:43:34 UTC+1 schreef Robert Coe het volgende:
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:40:23 -0800 (PST), sobriquet <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> : Hi.
> :
> : My Canon Powershot SX1 produces CRW raw files, but somehow I'm having trouble
> : importing them in Photoshop CS5 (even after updating ACR to the latest version
> : 6.6).
> :
> : http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsx1is/
> :
> : Does anyone know of any conversion tool or utility that might somehow allow this raw file to be read or perhaps converted to DNG or another formatthat would allow me to import it in ACR?
> :
> : Here is a sample raw file:
> : http://www.mediafire.com/?hbk5yvj6c3hydcq
> :
> : kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek
>
> Digital Photo Professional (recent version) doesn't recognize the file type.
> Zoombrowser does, but considers the file misformatted and won't open it. I
> have at least one newer version of Zoombrowser, but I don't believe recent
> versions can read RAW mode at all. (They tell you to do RAW conversion with
> DPP.)
>
> My G-5 was the only Canon P&S on which I ever used RAW mode. Each image had
> both a .CRW file and a .THM (thumbnail) file. Is it possible that the
> complaint in this case is that the .THM file is missing? It seems unlikely,
> but you never know.
>
> Bob

Unlikely, and I don't think I've seen these associated .THM files on the memory card when I copied the CRW files.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Raw

"Note It is important to understand that the file extension is not the sameas the file format. CHDK raws and DNGs are frequently saved with a .CRW or.CR2 extension, but they are NOT in Canon formats that typically use theseextensions."

Presumably, you didn't use CHDK on the G5 (as the G5 allows one to take RAWimages without any firmware modifications).
CHDK also allows one to create raw images on compact cameras like the PS A720 that don't normally allow one to create raw files.

The SX1 does normally (without using CHDK) allow one to create raw files and hence I assumed that by keeping the raw setting to CRW as the default (asopposed to DNG), the resulting raw file would be in the Canon CRW/CR2 raw format. But in retrospect, this assumption was mistaken and I should have opted for the DNG setting (in the CHDK config) for raw files that can easilybe imported in ACR.

sobriquet

Op zondag 12 februari 2012 01:52:05 UTC+1 schreef Robert Coe het volgende:
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:49:31 -0800 (PST), sobriquet <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> :
> : According to this information, the raw file should be supported by ACR:
> :
> : http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html
> :
> : However, I've used the CHDK firmware hack on the camera (hence the CRW extension rather than CR2 extension) and somehow this has yielded a raw file in a different format.
> :
> : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
>
> When I read your first note, I wondered how you got such an old file format on
> what I thought was a relatively recent camera. .CRW and .CR2 are not the same,
> and I believe they're mutually incompatible under all circumstances. What you
> need, I suppose is a .CRW - to - .CR2 converter, which is an animal I've never
> seen.
>
> BTW, I did try renaming your file to .CR2 (just in case it actually was a .CR2
> file), but that didn't work either.
>
> Bob

The quote below explains my problem:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Raw

"Note It is important to understand that the file extension is not the same as the file format. CHDK raws and DNGs are frequently saved with a .CRW or .CR2 extension, but they are NOT in Canon formats that typically use these extensions."

Robert Coe

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 15:43:05 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
: On 2012-02-11 14:40:23 -0800, sobriquet <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
:
: > Hi.
: >
: > My Canon Powershot SX1 produces CRW raw files, but somehow I'm having trouble
: > importing them in Photoshop CS5 (even after updating ACR to the latest version
: > 6.6).
: >
: > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsx1is/
: >
: > Does anyone know of any conversion tool or utility that might somehow
: > allow this raw file to be read or perhaps converted to DNG or another
: > format that would allow me to import it in ACR?
: >
: > Here is a sample raw file:
: > http://www.mediafire.com/?hbk5yvj6c3hydcq
: >
: > kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek
:
: The first thing I would ask is, do you have the version of DPP which
: came with your SX1?
: If not check with Canon support.
: <
: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...ersAndSoftware
: >
:
: I checked here < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_Image_File_Format
: > and it seems that CRW should be supported by both Photoshop and
: Lightroom, as well as DNG Converter. I was not able to open your RAW
: file with CS5, LR2 or the current DNG Converter. However a check of
: Adobe's site reveals the following, that Adobe supports "Powershot SX1
: IS" RAW files as CR2 not CWR from ACR version 5.4.
: So I have no idea if the issue is with your camera writing CWR and not
: CR2, or Adobe getting it wrong.
:
: < http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html >

I think all modern Canons use .CR2. .CRW is an older format that I haven't
seen since my Powershot G-5. The question, though is whether the hacked SX1 is
producing even a properly formatted .CRW file. My copies of DPP and
Zoombrowser don't appear to think that it is.

Bob

sobriquet

Op zondag 12 februari 2012 01:56:27 UTC+1 schreef Robert Coe het volgende:
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:49:31 -0800 (PST), sobriquet <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> :
> : According to this information, the raw file should be supported by ACR:
> :
> : http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html
> :
> : However, I've used the CHDK firmware hack on the camera (hence the CRW extension rather than CR2 extension) and somehow this has yielded a raw file in a different format.
> :
> : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
>
> Isn't there an informal self-help group of CHDK users? What do they say about
> this?
>
> Bob

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Raw

"Note It is important to understand that the file extension is not the same as the file format. CHDK raws and DNGs are frequently saved with a .CRW or .CR2 extension, but they are NOT in Canon formats that typically use these extensions."

So the CRW file I have is a CHDK raw file and not a Canon raw file.
In the future I will use DNG instead of CRW and that will solve the problem of importing raw files in ACR for any future pics I will take using CHDK.

Also, hopefully CHDK will add an in-camera conversion option for
CRW->DNG, so I can also import these CRW files in ACR.

Robert Coe

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 17:03:56 -0800 (PST), sobriquet <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: Op zondag 12 februari 2012 01:43:34 UTC+1 schreef Robert Coe het volgende:
: > On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:40:23 -0800 (PST), sobriquet <(E-Mail Removed)>
: > wrote:
: > : Hi.
: > :
[...]

That does sound like the possibility that's most likely to work.

Bob

sobriquet

Op zondag 12 februari 2012 02:55:14 UTC+1 schreef Robert Coe het volgende:
> [...]
> :
> : Presumably, you didn't use CHDK on the G5 (as the G5 allows one to takeRAW images without any firmware modifications).
> : CHDK also allows one to create raw images on compact cameras like the PS A720 that don't normally allow one to create raw files.
> :
> : The SX1 does normally (without using CHDK) allow one to create raw files and hence I assumed that by keeping the raw setting to CRW as the default(as opposed to DNG), the resulting raw file would be in the Canon CRW/CR2 raw format. But in retrospect, this assumption was mistaken and I should have opted for the DNG setting (in the CHDK config) for raw files that can easily be imported in ACR.
>
> That does sound like the possibility that's most likely to work.

People at the CHDK forum were able to help me out by entering custom SX1 specs in DNG4PS-2 (the beta version) which allows it to convert the CRW to DNG (and ACR is able to import that DNG).

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=7647.new#new

Thanks everyone here for all suggestions and comments! Problem seems more or less solved now.