Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Germany refuses to sign copyright treaty

Germany refuses to sign copyright treaty

Ted

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/e...pyright-treaty

Berlin - Germany will not sign an international copyright treaty,
despite having already agreed to it in principal, government sources
in Berlin said Friday, after protests over its implications for
internet users.

The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA), initiated by the
United States and Japan, seeks to protect intellectual property
rights, 'including infringement taking place in the digital
environment.'

It was signed by the European Union and 22 of its 27 member states in
January. Germany said at the time it would soon follow suit.

But since January, the treaty has been the subject of widespread
protest, mainly by internet users, who say it will require signatory
countries to punish even non-commercial breaches of copyright with
criminal prosecution and jail terms.

Tens of thousands of people were expected to take part in protests in
60 German cities on Saturday, while the international coordinator of
the campaign group Stopp ACTA told dpa that it expected 150,000 to
200,000 protests to take place worldwide.

Poland stopped the ratification process of the treaty last week after
nationwide protests and attacks on government websites. Similar
attacks led the Czech government to suspend its ratification of the
treaty earlier this week. Latvia also followed suit.

Despite the EU's signature, it still needs ratification by the
European Parliament and the individual states before it can come into
effect.

ACTA foresees that internet providers divulge details such as a user's
IP address so that people can be identified in cases of copyright
infringement.

After rejecting protesters' concerns last week, German Justice
Minister Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger said Friday that she was
pleased that a debate about ACTA was being 'led so openly and
enthusiastically.'

'It's necessary that all the facts are on the table,' she added.

Gordon

On 2012-02-11, Ted <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://news.monstersandcritics.com/e...pyright-treaty
>
> Berlin - Germany will not sign an international copyright treaty,
> despite having already agreed to it in principal, government sources
> in Berlin said Friday, after protests over its implications for
> internet users.
>
> The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA), initiated by the
> United States and Japan, seeks to protect intellectual property
> rights, 'including infringement taking place in the digital
> environment.'

****, people we have 1800 type copyright, the GPL which is copy left, but
uses the 1800's versions against itself, and then the new kid on the block
is Creative Commons.

What we need in this world is less prue unaltderated greed and more sharing
at a reasonable price. Instead we are going to do something else.

Still might bring the end of capitalism as we/they know it.