Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: Voip on Symbian Belle

Re: Voip on Symbian Belle

Soruk

On 2012-02-11, R. Mark Clayton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Oh Dear,
>

> Upgraded my N8 to Symbian "Belle" and Google Maps and more seriously all the
> VOIP stuff has disappeared. Reinstalled the 'application' to make it work,
> but no option for internet calling appears.
>
> Service parameters are OK and the phone registers.

I've been a bit disappointed with the built-in VoIP on my second-hand N95,
I don't know whether it's the phone or I'm missing a setting on my
Asterisk box but every time I try to make a call, after the call is over
I need to reboot the phone to make or receive another VoIP call.

The workaround I found was to use Nimbuzz as a VoIP client, and when
I was in China it worked much better than PC-based VoIP apps over a really
flaky cable modem service.

Matrix Dial: International Calls - http://www.matrixdial.co.uk/

Brian A

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 18:52:23 +0000, Soruk wrote:

> On 2012-02-11, R. Mark Clayton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Oh Dear,
>>

>> Upgraded my N8 to Symbian "Belle" and Google Maps and more seriously
>> all the VOIP stuff has disappeared. Reinstalled the 'application' to
>> make it work, but no option for internet calling appears.
>>
>> Service parameters are OK and the phone registers.

> I've been a bit disappointed with the built-in VoIP on my second-hand
> N95, I don't know whether it's the phone or I'm missing a setting on my
> Asterisk box but every time I try to make a call, after the call is over
> I need to reboot the phone to make or receive another VoIP call.
>
> The workaround I found was to use Nimbuzz as a VoIP client, and when I
> was in China it worked much better than PC-based VoIP apps over a really
> flaky cable modem service.

I used to have an N95 8GB. It worked OK on Voip. I would try it out with
a known provider first in order to take Asterisk out of the equation -
perhaps Voiptalk for example.
I looked up my settings in my Tomboy notes. Granted they refer to Voxalot
but it does give you an idea of how to set it up.
_____
SIP Settings
REMEMBER TO ADD VOXALOT AS DEFAULT UNDER 'Internet Tel' SETTINGS.
Settings on N95 8GB: Settings>Connection>SIP Settings
Profile Name: Voxalot (or any other name you dream up)
Service Profile:IETF
Default Access Point: >Name of your WiFi or operator
Public User Name: sip:(E-Mail Removed)
(where 123456 is an example of a Voxalot number or username)

Use Compession:No
Registration: 'When needed' (if you only want to make outgoing calls) or
'Always on' (to receive calls too - should then show up as 'Registered'
under 'Settings>Connection>SIP Settings')

Proxy Server (Registrar server is set similarly):-
Proxy Server Address: sip:eu.voxalot.com
Realm:voxalot.com
username:123456 (example as before)
Allow loose routing:Yes
Transport type:Auto