Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > When will these people get it? Telephotos can't shrink

When will these people get it? Telephotos can't shrink

Wolfgang Weisselberg

David J. Littleboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> ok, so what's the reason to make cheaper cameras if you can get someone
>> to pay more money for essentially the same thing?

> (1) If you don't do it, someone else will do it first and eat your lunch.

Only if they are in a position to try that. The only one who
really is is Nikon. Who's going to be enjoying selling a not
really cheap 38 MPix camera ... Do you really think they'd be
wise offering a really cheap 38MPix camera now?

> (2) You can make more money selling thousands of cheap cameras than hundreds
> of expensive ones.

You can make more money selling hundreds of expensive cameras
than thousands of cheap cameras with a low profit margin.

Actually, they are making money selling thousands of 5D2 and soon
5D3 *and* hundreds of 1Dx.

> And probably dozens of other reasons as well.

Like "Commodization of a market (like we see in compact cameras)
means you send yourself on the road to minimal profit margins,
near identical products, no brand loyalty and dozens or hundreds
of competing companies"?

Like "A 1100D FF camera at the current time would capture too
much of the market that now will buy a 5D2 or 5D3, thus lowering
the companies profit"?

Like "When the first heavy users (and FF people are heaver users
than entry level crop camera buyers) have their 1100D FF fail under
them due to it's low grade design, company reputation will suffer"?

-Wolfgang

nospam

In article <jk17gj$r2v$(E-Mail Removed)>, Trevor <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> >> Altenatively the manufacturer keeps prices high and chooses a bigger
> >> profit margin on smaller volume sales, as is the case atm.

> > think about that for a bit.

> Yes do so, then tell us why the 5D outsells the 1DS, how they made more
> sensors to build them, and why they build the 5D if some people are happy to
> buy the 1DS?

they had to have the sensors before they could release the 5d, which
was a few years after the 1ds. the 5d didn't sell that well initially
either. canon had to offer multiple rebates to move them.

> A FF priced under the 5D3 is only a matter of time IMO, whether you agree or
> not.

i never said it wasn't going to happen. what i said was it isn't going
to happen as soon as you want.

canon and nikon are not in any rush given the sales of what they have
now. sony is probably going to be first with a cheap full frame since
they don't have much else to compete on.

Trevor

"Ray Fischer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4f64e195$0$11956$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Wah, wah, wah.
>>> If you think that it's so easy then you do it. If you're right then
>>> you'll get rich. Anything else is just the whining of a spoiled brat
>>> complaining that other people won't wipe his bottom.

>>So anybody who doesn't agree with you is whining?

> Is your problem that you can't read, or you can't tell the truth?

No, just you.

Trevor.

Trevor

"Wolfgang Weisselberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So you want a 1100D FF?

To replace my 1DS2, not bloody likely! But as I said all along, many people
would like a $1500 FF 60D equivalent I'm SURE!
You can disagree all you like atm, because there is no proof until the
market is tested.

Trevor.

Trevor

"Wolfgang Weisselberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Certainly the camera will be replaced with something better,
>> LONG before the shutter dies for most amateur users.

> Even if true, the Rebel shutter doesn't last 150,000 frames.

And how many Rebel users want to shoot 150,00 frames from one camera I
wonder. I'd want to upgrade long before I took that many pictures with ANY
digital camera. But as I said I don't shoot 10fps every time I take a
picture, surely those who do know not to buy a Rebel since it won't shoot
fast enough for them anyway.

Trevor.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Trevor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Wolfgang Weisselberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> So you want a 1100D FF?

> To replace my 1DS2, not bloody likely! But as I said all along, many people
> would like a $1500 FF 60D equivalent I'm SURE!

Many more people (than your people) would like a $1000 FF 50D
equivalent, I'm SURE!

Doesn't mean it's possible economically.
Doesn't mean it's economically sensible.

> You can disagree all you like atm, because there is no proof until the
> market is tested.

You can claim that all you like atm, because there is no
proof until the market is tested.

I guess a $1 FF 30D would sell like crazy, too.
How about *you* testing the market?

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Trevor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Wolfgang Weisselberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> Even if true, the Rebel shutter doesn't last 150,000 frames.

> And how many Rebel users want to shoot 150,00 frames from one camera I
> wonder. I'd want to upgrade long before I took that many pictures with ANY
> digital camera.

That's *your* problem.

> But as I said I don't shoot 10fps every time I take a
> picture, surely those who do know not to buy a Rebel since it won't shoot
> fast enough for them anyway.

Your lack of imagination is *your* problem.

-Wolfgang

David Dyer-Bennet

"Trevor" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "Wolfgang Weisselberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> So you want a 1100D FF?

> To replace my 1DS2, not bloody likely! But as I said all along, many people
> would like a $1500 FF 60D equivalent I'm SURE!
> You can disagree all you like atm, because there is no proof until the
> market is tested.

So you want basically the current 5D model, but at half the price.

Yeah, lots of people would want that. I doubt it's currently possible,
though.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, David Dyer-Bennet
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > To replace my 1DS2, not bloody likely! But as I said all along, many people
> > would like a $1500 FF 60D equivalent I'm SURE!
> > You can disagree all you like atm, because there is no proof until the
> > market is tested.

> So you want basically the current 5D model, but at half the price.
>
> Yeah, lots of people would want that. I doubt it's currently possible,
> though.

it may be possible, but why bother when people will gladly pay its
current price.

Trevor

"David Dyer-Bennet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So you want basically the current 5D model, but at half the price.

You seem to be the only one who thinks that the 5D3 is simply a 60D with FF
sensor, and the 7D is somehow a superior camera to the 5D3!
OTOH I still think the 5D3 is more of a FF 7D equivalent, and a FF 60D
equivalent could easily be cheaper, whether YOU agree or not!

Trevor.